Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross
(09-23-2018, 07:40 PM)McC Wrote: To what end?  What a bizarre thing to say.

It's just that Ross is looking dangerously close to being the latest guy we demand to see and have great hopes for until he is given the chance to fulfill our desires and then fails.  I haven't seen us do a 180 on a player this hard since Jeremy Hill went into 2015 being the main reason we were going to win it all and then went out of 2015 as the main reason we didn't win it all.

NFL fandom intrigues me.  What can I say?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The 3rd int was either a miscommunication on a bad route or just a plain bad throw by Dalton. I think it looks worse than it actually was on Ross's part. Also he made a great catch that set up a TD.

Really now??  Which game exactly were you watching??

(09-23-2018, 07:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He isn't tough. He isn't dynamic. He can't even do the one thing he should be able to (catch deep balls). He seems to give up on plays way too quickly. He can't contest jump balls. He seems to not actually know what the playcall is.

He's a shit player.

When we drafted him, I tried to reconcile with the idea. I tried to be optimistic. But it was a dumb pick and a waste of a top 10 pick.

Give Erickson all his snaps and this offense improves.

To add to your bolded, I don't think that he's got the smarts to catch on to the NFL.  I noted earlier, that when the Bengals needed a first down on a 3rd and long, Andy eluded the rush and threw it to the marker.  Ross?  He was 5 yards back from the marker, like he didn't even understand the situation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's just that Ross is looking dangerously close to being the latest guy we demand to see and have great hopes for until he is given the chance to fulfill our desires and then fails.  I haven't seen us do a 180 on a player this hard since Jeremy Hill went into 2015 being the main reason we were going to win it all and then went out of 2015 as the main reason we didn't win it all.

If you haven't seen this more than twice then you have not been paying attention.  Here's a hint--don't waste time looking for logic in such a place as fanhood.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really now??  Which game exactly were you watching??

To add to your bolded, I don't think that he's got the smarts to catch on to the NFL.  I noted earlier, that when the Bengals needed a first down on a 3rd and long, Andy eluded the rush and threw it to the marker.  Ross?  He was 5 yards back from the marker, like he didn't even understand the situation.

He seems to have zero in game awareness, none, zilch !

The desire doesn't seem to be there, at all. Typically you can't fix that.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's just that Ross is looking dangerously close to being the latest guy we demand to see and have great hopes for until he is given the chance to fulfill our desires and then fails.  I haven't seen us do a 180 on a player this hard since Jeremy Hill went into 2015 being the main reason we were going to win it all and then went out of 2015 as the main reason we didn't win it all.

That's NFL fans for you.  People were so amped up after all the TC highlights from Ross and that turned in 2 games.  

Ross was terrible today.  He deserves to have has playing time cut down and he should have to earn those snaps back.  I was a big Ross supporter and still am, but the kid has a lot of growing up to do and a short time to do it in.  Guy just seems mentally broken.  

Boyd has been beyond my expectations as the #2, but the Bengals need to find an answer for the #3 role.  We still aren't getting enough production out of the #3-5 WR's.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Give Erickson all his snaps and this offense improves.

Hey that's what I tried to say last week, but dayum that didn't go over to well. LOL
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I've been reluctant to jump on the Ross-hating bandwagon. I'd hoped he'd be a DeSean Jackson type of player for us. When you see his tape from college, he doesn't some off as a one-trick-pony kind of WR. His routes were acceptably good and his feet were a blur when he ran. Reminded me of watching Chad run.

I hate that this team seems to have whiffed on their highest pick in quite some time. That's another reason that losing faith in him sucks. I'm not sure what his deal is. Maybe he doesn't have a passion for the game anymore. Maybe he doesn't like being in Cincinnati. Maybe he's just not that good. I have no clue. I think the natural talent and football ability are probably there with him. What seems to be missing is the want-to and work ethic/application of effort. His mistakes aren't about talent or physical ability. They're about poor awareness and understanding of what to do in games.
Reply/Quote
Just can not ever quit on routes in this league.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Just can not ever quit on routes in this league.

Exactly! I would love to get paid the league minimum and be given a chance as a WR.

"Akili" Ross  :paul:
Reply/Quote
Not only isn't he Tyreek Hill. He's not even Tavon Austin. 

*attempt to /pile on

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Cmon guys, stop piling on and be serious...

* he is still basically a rookie
* his speed and possibility of going deep scares defenses, which can open up a play like that TD to Boyd, even though he was on the sideline that play
* he had a great college season in the PAC12
* he ran a really fast 40 at the combine in shorts and a t.

Reply/Quote
We should have "loaned" Ross last season so he could be developed and this season he would have been torching opponents. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Cmon guys, stop piling on and be serious...

* his speed and possibility of going deep scares defenses, which can open up a play like that TD to Boyd, even though he was on the sideline that play

You forgot that he's basically still a rookie.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Cmon guys, stop piling on and be serious...

He's had MORE than enough time and practice that he should not be making beginner level mistakes in playing the WR position. Stopping for no reason on a route and not even looking back to the line? Complete mis-execution on a jump ball that either Boyd or Green all but certainly win on? All the other goofs and lapses showing zero situational awareness? 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You forgot that he's basically still a rookie.

He ran a really fast 40 at the combine in shorts and a t.

Reply/Quote
Looks like Ross is proving me right for the second year in a row. My heart was telling me to hope for the best, and I am hoping he gets his shit together. My head was telling me that Ross just ain't a football player.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Looks like Ross is proving me right for the second year in a row. My heart was telling me to hope for the best, and I am hoping he gets his shit together. My head was telling me that Ross just ain't a football player.

Second year in a row?  The guy is a rookie!  And if he doesn't get productive this season he's going to be a rookie next year, too.  Interestingly, the Bears have a top 10 pick WR in Kevin White who is in his 5th season and has 4 starts to his name...so he's just a rookie too.  Chase Daniel has 2 starts in 10 years.  He's a rookie. 

I sat the bench on my junior high basketball team from 5th grade until 8th grade when it was all mercifully over.  I was just a 5th grader the whole time.
Reply/Quote
John Ross has the legs of Usain Bolt and the hands of Daniel Coats.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He ran a really fast 40 at the combine in shorts and a t.

I think it might have been the fastest evAr. I'll go check...

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 09:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: John Ross has the legs of Usain Bolt and the hands of Daniel Coats.

Honestly, it's not his hands i'm worried about. It's his brain.

Got anyone in mind for that analogy?

Reply/Quote