Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross and his confidence
(01-13-2019, 07:21 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Haha.

You think Ross is some underused, superstar in the waiting

I think he's a colossal bust.  You are hanging on his college tape, in the pac 10,  from 3 years ago, as hope

you are over complicating it - He isnt that good. 

I never said any of that. The stats don’t lie, he isn’t very good.

If the “excuses” are true, he has a chance to redeem himself. As a fan, I’m hopeful the new staff can wake something up in him if it’s there, but I for one am certainly not holding my breath that there is because he has been awful.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I never said any of that. The stats don’t lie, he isn’t very good.

If the “excuses” are true, he has a chance to redeem himself. As a fan, I’m hopeful the new staff can wake something up in him if it’s there, but I for one am certainly not holding my breath that there is because he has been awful.

I would love for the guy to be a great player

But I’m being logical about it. He probably is a bust

Let’s put it this way. If the bengals Plan on him contributing a lot next year, that would be stupid.
Reply/Quote
My position on Ross.

Give him a chance, he still has a lot of potential. But at the same time don't plan or depend on him contributing much of anything.

Ross is an enigma. I have never known of a small receiver like him being so effective in the red zone, but having almost no production between the 20's where theoretically the filed should be opened up giving him more room to maneuver.
Reply/Quote

I think he's a colossal bust.  You are hanging on his college tape, in the pac 10,  from 3 years ago, as hope

You oversimplify it. With your logic Clooney was a bust since he did little first 2 to 3 years. Some players need time to come into their own some need a better system to improve.  2 years is not enough especially since injuries are part of it. Remember how some said Boyd flamed out after 1st yeR. Ross could be a bust or not,  still time to find out.  Positive this year is year is he ranked 17th  in TDs
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
New coach simply has to call Housh and ask what is up with Ross.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You oversimplify it. With your logic Clooney was a bust since he did little first 2 to 3 years. Some players need time to come into their own some need a better system to improve.  2 years is not enough especially since injuries are part of it. Remember how some said Boyd flamed out after 1st yeR. Ross could be a bust or not,  still time to find out.  Positive this year is year is he ranked 17th  in TDs

I just don't think he has good hands. That said, I think we need to give him another year. IF the light doesn't come on in Year 3 though...I think it likely never way. He might end up like a Darius Heyward-Bay.
Reply/Quote
Dude is a bust plain and simple. Our only hope is that someday he learns to at least become a serviceable possession receiver.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Antonio Brown, OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Brandin Cooks, John Brown, Julian Edelman, Deshaun Jackson, Randell Cobb, Ty Hilton....off the top of my head.

how could you forget Tyreek hill
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:38 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: I would love for the guy to be a great player

But I’m being logical about it.  He probably is a bust

Let’s put it this way.  If the bengals Plan on him contributing a lot next year, that would be stupid.

No you wouldn't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The conundrum the Bengals are in is this: Outside of Green and Boyd, the PFF ratings for our other WR's is terrible.

They need a decent 3rd option. Hopefully, it's Ross. But I think they have to bring in either a free agent or draft pick to mitigate against the possibility that it's not Ross.

Ross and Green are injured a decent bit too...so adding another option isn't a bad idea regardless.
Reply/Quote
I have little doubt better coaching meaning scheming plays to get him open closer to the LOS will benefit him greatly. I believe ML and Lazor did little to help Ross, build his confidence and get him involved.

He's proven he can be a factor on plays other than fly routes just look at his TD's. Can he be turned into a star ?

A lot of that is on him.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:09 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Frankly I'm ready to move on from him.  Say what you will about coaches not using him the right way, but the guy has hands of stone.  Even if they utilized him properly, I don't trust him to make the catch.

I am going to give him one more year.  Hopefully the light turns on.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:34 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: First it was the  injury excuse

Then it was the Marvin doesn’t like him excuse

Then it was the coaches dont utilize him excuse

Then it was he’s basically still a rookie excuse

And now it’s a mental/confidence excuse

Lol

First bolded is legit. 

Second bolded, based on what Ross has said himself, is true as well...to a point.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:49 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Maybe he just isnt any good

If you knew how to use the internutz to watch video, you would see that he has some abilities. 

He just has almost zero consistency. 

To understand that, might be a bit above your mental pay grade though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Funny thing about Ross is usually at the WR position historically they have been able to get great production.

Most WR unless they're late draft picks have had their best careers here.

Not many cases of them being under-utilized or incorrectly.

So why is this the case exclusively with Ross?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: True, but I think Marvin really didn't like the kid. I have my questions on if MB kinda forced the pick? Either way, I think it's possible to work with the kid and help him regain confidence. Marvin and Lazor handled him poorly.

I know he was not Marvin's choice.  Marv wanted Reuben Foster.  Another great character guy  Ninja

We can argue about how he was handled, utilized in the offense, and what kind of practice guy he was but a lot of questions will be answered under a new coaching staff.  I don't think they will have him running verticals all day to open up the underneath.  Is that OK from time to time?  Sure.  I wanted to see more deep shots but I guess some of that was the inability to give Dalton time (ever hear of max protection?).  

Ross was getting open (and very open) on plays where he was targeted in the Red Zone.  Someone threw out that he had the worst catch % in the league, but I remember thinking there were a lot of passes that no one would have caught.  He did show some improvement as the year went on as well, at least in my eyes.  I remember him coming back to one poorly thrown ball and contesting it.  He didn't make the catch, but he prevented an INT and made a pretty damn good play to do so.  

My guess is that Ross and Gio are the two guys that benefit from the new coaching staff.  Well, them and Dalton.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Even if he is a bust I will never hate the John Ross pick.

The Bengals took a gamble on Ross because his speed and playmaking ability could change football games. Rarely did Marvin gamble in game or in the draft and that's probably the reason he didnt like the pick.

Its alot like the Zac Taylor situation. They are taking a gamble on a very inexperienced coach but if he can bring to the Bengals what we see with the Rams it will be special.

Dead on.  He will always be labeled the guy taken one pick before Mahommes.  That isn't his fault.  He has huge playmaking ability and I think we will see a lot more of it with new leadership.  

It is also completely lost on some how his vertical routes help open up the underneath for the likes of Green, Boyd, and Eifert.  Not to mention a safety back also helps the rushing attack.  But he will never get credit for anything like that if he is not getting 100 yard games.  

He is the Chris Henry (RIP) of this offense...or at least he could be.  Henry had a high % of TD/catch ratio as well.  Palmer would take shots with Henry when he saw a mismatch, but those few times Henry was on the field with TJ and Chad, the passing game was lethal.  

AJ can be Chad (although he lacks the short-space quickness of Chad, he is a more complete overall receiver).

Boyd can be TJ. 

Ross can be Henry.

And when they had a healthy Eifert, the offense was looking really good...despite what everyone claims is the worst offensive line in the history of the game.  

I think Uzomah can be a solid TE for us, and maybe Cethan Carter and Shreck can be the #2 and #3 TEs.  

This offense only needs a bit more talent at RG and RT and some new, creative schemes and they will be a very good unit.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:00 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Point is Boyd was pretty awful for whatever reason in year 2 until the miracle TD.

And then BAM he WOKE

We can only hope the same for Ross.

But Boyd had a very solid rookie season...for some reason, he got in Marv's dog house in year 2...there was that business where his friend ditched his car after wrecking it???

Regardless, it is nice to see Boyd is not Jerome Simpson 2.0
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:34 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: First it was the  injury excuse

Then it was the Marvin doesn’t like him excuse

Then it was the coaches dont utilize him excuse

Then it was he’s basically still a rookie excuse

And now it’s a mental/confidence excuse

Lol

All true...in fairness to you, this is all accurate. 

But, it is incredibly moronic to think (NOT saying that is you) we would give up on the #9 overall pick in the draft.  He did show flashes and he did have 7 TDs in limited targets.  He deserves the shot to see what he can do with a more creative offensive mind.  I feel the exact same way about Gio.  Two guys that would be lighting it up somewhere like New England will get a new lease on life with a real coaching staff.  
Reply/Quote

Let's save this debate for after next year.  Don't you want him to succeed?  It almost sounds like he stole your girlfriend or something.  
Reply/Quote