Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross and his confidence
(01-13-2019, 05:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Antonio Brown, OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Brandin Cooks, John Brown, Julian Edelman, Deshaun Jackson, Randell Cobb, Ty Hilton....off the top of my head.

There is a lot more too and almost all RB's are around 6 foot tall or less. Cohen and Sproles are like 5'6".

Tell Eifert to be shorter.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While I would never bet that he will produce...I will say that I've seen plenty of guys at WR look lost for 2 years...then have it click in Year 3.

Let's face it, the Bengals coaching was bad. Our offense has no similarities to the Rams or Chiefs. It looks like a totally different game watching them.

Honestly, over the last 16 years...our offense hasn't changed much.

The offenses are completely different. But it doesn't matter what offense Ross plays in if he isn't making the catch or running the right route. He needs to take care of the things he has control over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Coaching meetings practice and film study cannot replace experience especially the speed of the game at the NFL level.

"Essentially a rookie" is bunk. He was with the team the entire year. 

Players are rookies in their first year on the team. Period. 

Wait...you may be on to something. Jerome Simpson had a total of 21 receptions and 4 games started in his first 3 years. He followed that with 50/725 in his 4th year. That means year 3 was "essentially" his rookie year since he only had 1 start in his first 2 years. 

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Boyd is the prototype.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've read about what guys do to run fast 40 times. They lose weight and train specifically for it too.

To me, Ross's game speed just doesn't seem to match is 40 time. In college, his speed may have got him open by 3 yards. In the Pro's...his defender is right there and he just doesn't seem to want to fight for balls or even know how.

I think that's a major thing that he has to adjust to.

Plus, he was drafted way higher than he should have and I think the expectations get to him.

Year 3 is HUGE for a WR. It's probably the make or break year for him. He'll either produce or won't.

I've said since before he got here, 4.2 speed doesn't mean anything when there are 4.3 and 4.4 Corners who can jam you coming off the line. It's the NFL... everyone is fast. My problem with him is that he simply doesn't seem to give 100% effort, whether that is in learning the playbook or running his routes...
Reply/Quote
Even if he is a bust I will never hate the John Ross pick.

The Bengals took a gamble on Ross because his speed and playmaking ability could change football games. Rarely did Marvin gamble in game or in the draft and that's probably the reason he didnt like the pick.

Its alot like the Zac Taylor situation. They are taking a gamble on a very inexperienced coach but if he can bring to the Bengals what we see with the Rams it will be special.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:40 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Boyd is the prototype.

Maybe in a system ran by our previous HC.  We have no idea how the new one will want to incorporate new talent into the lineup.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe in a system ran by our previous HC.  We have no idea how the new one will want to incorporate new talent into the lineup.

Point is Boyd was pretty awful for whatever reason in year 2 until the miracle TD.

And then BAM he WOKE

We can only hope the same for Ross.

Reply/Quote
title should read John Ross and his LACK of confidence.....hopefully this coaching staff can give him a confidence boost
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
First it was the injury excuse

Then it was the Marvin doesn’t like him excuse

Then it was the coaches dont utilize him excuse

Then it was he’s basically still a rookie excuse

And now it’s a mental/confidence excuse

Lol
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:34 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: First it was the injury excuse

Then it was the Marvin doesn’t like him excuse

Then it was the coaches dont utilize him excuse

Then it was he’s basically still a rookie excuse

And now it’s a mental/confidence excuse

Lol

These are serious problems, not excuses.

Catch up.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Year 3 is HUGE for a WR. It's probably the make or break year for him. He'll either produce or won't.

Hopefully the new HC will tell him this on the first meeting.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:47 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: These are serious problems, not excuses.

Catch up.

Maybe he just isnt any good
Reply/Quote
Frankly I'm ready to move on from him. Say what you will about coaches not using him the right way, but the guy has hands of stone. Even if they utilized him properly, I don't trust him to make the catch.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:49 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Maybe he just isnt any good

And that’s the point. I know this isn’t going to sit well with you because your main goal on here is to rile us up, but If any or all of these things are true then maybe it’s a “him” problem.

1. injuries. Sure sometimes they just happen. But maybe he’s just more prone to injury than others. Unless he proves otherwise, Him problem.

2. Marvin dislikes him: well if that’s the case, Marvin is gone. If that was the problem he has a chance to fix it with the new regime. If this coaching staff doesn’t like him it is once again maybe it’s a him problem.

3. Underutilization: again, if this continues with a new staff, maybe it’s a him problem.

4. Rookie excuse: moot point. Year 3 that ship has sailed.

5. Mental/confidence: nobody can deny the player you see on the college highlight reel was a player that believed in his ability and not only thought but KNEW he was better than the guys on the other side of the field. I have yet to see that in his NFL career, in fact, it has largely been the complete opposite. So here we are, year 3, and a fresh start with new coaching. A chance to prove himself and squash all of these “excuses”. He has a golden opportunity to flip the script and if he didn’t, it’s a him problem.

Reply/Quote
Hum dum dum dum hum dum dum

*add to ignore list - no objectivity = troll alert

dah dah dah dum dum

Now doesn't that make you feel better?

[Image: OccasionalAngryHuman-size_restricted.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:11 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: And that’s the point. I know this isn’t going to sit well with you because your main goal on here is to rile is up, but If any or all of these things are true then maybe it’s a “him” problem.

1. injuries. Sure sometimes they just happen. But maybe he’s just more prone to injury than others. Unless he proves otherwise, Him problem.

2. Marvin dislikes him: well if that’s the case, Marvin is gone. If that was the problem he has a chance to fix it with the new regime. If this coaching staff doesn’t like him it is once again a him problem.

3. Underutilization: again, if this continues with a new staff, maybe it’s a him problem.

4. Rookie excuse: moot point. Year 3 that ship has sailed.

5. Mental/confidence: nobody can deny the player you see on the college highlight reel was a player that believed in his ability and not only thought but KNEW he was better than the guys on the other side of the field. I have yet to see that in his NFL career. It’s largely been the complete opposite. So here we are, year 3. and a fresh start with new coaching. A chance to prove himself and squash all of these “excuses”. He has a golden opportunity to flip the script and if he didn’t, it’s a him problem.

Go watch some college tapes of mardy gilyard
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:13 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Hum dum dum dum hum dum dum

*add to ignore list - no objectivity = troll alert

dah dah dah dum dum

Now doesn't that make you feel better?

[Image: OccasionalAngryHuman-size_restricted.gif]

Yep...kind of curious cascadia starts getting shut down and trevvy trev rises from the ashes, isn’t it?

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:15 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Go watch some college tapes of mardy gilyard

You keep making my point.

You’re really bad at this.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:16 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: You keep making my point.

You’re really bad at this.

Haha.

You think Ross is some underused, superstar in the waiting

I think he's a colossal bust.  You are hanging on his college tape, in the pac 10,  from 3 years ago, as hope

you are over complicating it - He isnt that good. 
Reply/Quote