Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross and his confidence
Meh, Ross might be a combination of "figuring out a new system" and injured next season, so he may still technically be a rookie in 2020. He still has another 12 or so games to go with Dalton under center before we can claim he's played an actual season of football.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 09:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  It almost sounds like he stole your girlfriend or something.  

He did but he dropped her on the way out of the bungalow.  
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Not really understanding the love of taking shots at this guy over and over and over again. Maybe at least be better at it cuz what I'm seeing is an epic level of lame attempts at humor. I mean embarrassingly lame. Like slap yourself lame.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My position on Ross.

Give him a chance, he still has a lot of potential.  But at the same time don't plan or depend on him contributing much of anything.

Ross is an enigma.  I have never known of a small receiver like him being so effective in the red zone, but having almost no production between the 20's where theoretically the filed should be opened up giving him more room to maneuver.

I agree with your analysis.

Years ago when Antonio Brown burst upon the scene making Mike Wallace and then Sanders expendable, he was great at everything except TD's. That was his knock so to speak. Well, fast forward and we know now he fixed it.

I believe the Bengals game planned their offense around Green and Boyd. They need to figure out how to use Ross and Ross needs to catch everything and win the one on one battles all over the field.

I could care less if he was drafted in round 1 or 7, it does not matter now. It matters if he can become more productive and a threat every time we throw hi the ball in the future.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of people dislike him because they wish the pick would have been Mahomes and Ross has not done much. I'm not sure if I would call him a bust yet but he really needs to improve this year hopefully the new staff can get the best out of him.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 11:53 AM)mon4078 Wrote: I think a lot of people dislike him because they wish the pick would have been Mahomes and Ross has not done much. I'm not sure if I would call him a bust yet but he really needs to improve this year hopefully the new staff can get the best out of him.

Bust? He had 7 TD's in 2018 with a bad team.

A bust is a player Ced. O. or a player who never saw the field in my humble opinion.

Does he need major improvement? No doubt, but labeling him a bust is pure drama at this point.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My position on Ross.

Give him a chance, he still has a lot of potential.  But at the same time don't plan or depend on him contributing much of anything.

Ross is an enigma.  I have never known of a small receiver like him being so effective in the red zone, but having almost no production between the 20's where theoretically the filed should be opened up giving him more room to maneuver.

I share the same position on Ross. And I don't believe he was drafted to be a WR1 anyway. I think he was seen as a WR2/3.
He still has two years to go on his rookie contract (three if his option is picked up). There's time for him to develop without being a financial burden.
However, if the team is not going to depend on him for the future, they need to extend Green and/or Boyd.
I think Boyd is for sure extended, probably 3-4 years. Green probably should get a 2-year extension, but he may want to chase a ring based on how 2019 goes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 11:53 AM)mon4078 Wrote: I think a lot of people dislike him because they wish the pick would have been Mahomes and Ross has not done much. I'm not sure if I would call him a bust yet but he really needs to improve this year hopefully the new staff can get the best out of him.

I'm sorry, but not many people were actually thinking Mahomes was going to be as good as he's shown. Texas Tech was considered by many to be a gimmicky offense in a weak defensive conference that inflated QB numbers.

If people were actually upset right after the pick was made, it was because they wanted Watson, Barnett, Howard, Allen, or Hooker.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I share the same position on Ross. And I don't believe he was drafted to be a WR1 anyway. I think he was seen as a WR2/3.
He still has two years to go on his rookie contract (three if his option is picked up). There's time for him to develop without being a financial burden.
However, if the team is not going to depend on him for the future, they need to extend Green and/or Boyd.
I think Boyd is for sure extended, probably 3-4 years. Green probably should get a 2-year extension, but he may want to chase a ring based on how 2019 goes.

I agree about extending Boyd 4 years. Green is questionable due to his age. I like AJ, but to keep him we could franchise one his contract is up if he is still playing at a high level.

I also agree Ross is more a slot receiver than a #1, but a slot that cam be a #2 also.

Reply/Quote
No reason to give up on him now that the Bengals have an offensive minded coach. He's also on his rookie deal so he isn't breaking the bank. He has more upside than Malone, Core, Tate etc. Let's role with him for one more year before the 'bust' label.
Reply/Quote
the thing with Ross is that most of the people who are screaming Bust didn't want him in the first place and want to be vindicated. I loved the pick, he hasn't lived up to it, but he can be productive. I really never understood why we didn't gameplan around him when we had no one else.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, all of the coaching and game planning in the world can't fix what appeared to be a blatant lack of desire/effort on his part.  That has to come from within.

Exactly. Thats one of the biggest things that stood out for me regarding Ross this year. There were times where it just seemed like he wasnt into it. I also saw lack of effort on a number of plays. 

So, you have to wonder if his attitude and lack of effort was the product of him not getting the ball and being featured or was his lack of effort and attitude the reason why he wasnt getting the ball? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
well many wrs take a few years this will be year 3 the magic year for WRs

So lets hope that happens for mister ross like boyd last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 11:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bust? He had 7 TD's in 2018 with a bad team.

A bust is a player Ced. O. or a player who never saw the field in my humble opinion.

Does he need major improvement? No doubt, but labeling him a bust is pure drama at this point.

I not calling him a bust at this point, but he has a lot to prove next season. I believe that a new coaching staff might help him the most I don't think he was used right by Lazor and Marvin.
Reply/Quote

If we would have drafted Mahones he would still be sitting on the bench behind Andy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
More often than not, it takes a WR more than 16 games to hit their stride in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
If Taylor becomes our HC and is as good as people say he is and evelaluates Ross....... he will probably not even have Ross as a WR. He will probably evaluate him and put him as a punt returner or in the Defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 01:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If Taylor becomes our HC and is as good as people say he is and evelaluates Ross....... he will probably not even have Ross as a WR. He will probably evaluate him and put him as a punt returner or in the Defense.

Taylor was an assistant WR coach last year for LA so hopefully he’ll get Ross right.

Reply/Quote

At the time we picked Ross...I venture to say that 75% of the people never heard of Mahomes and would have been on her complaining at how epic of a reach it was.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 01:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If Taylor becomes our HC and is as good as people say he is and evelaluates Ross....... he will probably not even have Ross as a WR. He will probably evaluate him and put him as a punt returner or in the Defense.

He gets hurt too much to return punts IMO.

But good point on the evaluation. He is given more opportunity than say a 7th Round pick. His actual on field performance doesn't really warrant it.
Reply/Quote