Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross interview a jab at former coaching?
John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?
His response was, "Whatever they need me to. There are a lot of things I do well. It's not so much of just 'run down the field' or 'clear this guy out,' there's a lot of things I can do. With the way guys are moved around this offense, I'll be able to showcase a lot of that."
https://www.bengals.com/video/ross-i-just-felt-like-i-got-another-gear

Do you all think this was a jab at the former coaching staff for how he was used the past two years? Or do you think it was just Ross emphasizing that he's not just a deep threat?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ross told us what many of us figured out.
Lewis and Lazor were bozos when it came time
To install him in the offense.
They had no clue
Reply/Quote
Ross is in no position to dis former coaches. His pending bust status has been as much his doing and anyone else. They could interview Lazor or ML now and they could easily say Ross has not grasped the game at the NFL level and never will.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?
His response was, "Whatever they need me to. There are a lot of things I do well. It's not so much of just 'run down the field' or 'clear this guy out,' there's a lot of things I can do. With the way guys are moved around this offense, I'll be able to showcase a lot of that."

Do you all think this was a jab at the former coaching staff for how he was used the past two years? Or do you think it was just Ross emphasizing that he's not just a deep threat?

I think whether you're a Ross hater or supporter, it's put up or shut up time.  If he tears it up this year, then he'll be vindicated.  If he disappoints again, then he's just making excuses.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:38 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Ross is in no position to dis former coaches. His pending bust status has been as much his doing and anyone else. They could interview Lazor or ML now and they could easily say Ross has not grasped the game at the NFL level and never will.

They could both be right. Ross may not have grasped the game at the NFL level while also not being used in the best way.
If you listen to the whole interview though, Ross does say if he stops thinking like he used to, he'll play better. So he's owning up that some of the problems were his own fault.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:38 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Ross is in no position to dis former coaches. His pending bust status has been as much his doing and anyone else. They could interview Lazor or ML now and they could easily say Ross has not grasped the game at the NFL level and never will.

You are correct, but those who say let's move on from ML and former coaches still feel need to not move on from ML and former coaches. Their egos won't allow them to for some reason.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think issues went both way with Ross. There were simple things they could have done to get him involved early on. I wrote about it in another post but simplifying his route tree and taking out sight adjustments would have been the easiest thing. I think where the issue began was they were dead set on everyone being able to play every position and while that sounds great everyone isn't cut out to do that. Ross needed to pick things up better but the staff should have facilitated his growth by getting him a couple packages that were easy to up his confidence.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think whether you're a Ross hater or supporter, it's put up or shut up time.  If he tears it up this year, then he'll be vindicated.  If he disappoints again, then he's just making excuses.

I don't recall Boyd having to be vindicated after his sophomore disaster of a season. I also think Ross having a good or bad year as zero to do with coaching, coaches don't taker care of a player's body to keep them healthy. Coaches can't study for them, coaches can't give 100% for them.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Ross is a bust until he can prove otherwise. New coaches or not, he has lost the benefit of the doubt. If he becomes a good receiver, all good.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?

Yep

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No disrespect shown IMO. He simply answered the question posed. Let's hope he shows it on the field because AJ's days may be numbered.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He hasn't shown the most important ability , availability
So we'll never know how he would have been used .
Reply/Quote
I agree with everyone saying Ross has to prove himself this year (duh), but it is an interesting quote.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:59 PM)iamjed Wrote: He hasn't shown the most important ability , availability
So we'll never know how he would have been used .

Ross was available for 13 games last year...
We know how he was used.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I thought it was wearing the wrong number? How foolish of me, it was obviously the coaching.
Reply/Quote
A few things.

Wasn't Ross used in slot-vertical routes in college?  Why has he been used on fly routes?
Ross's problems are contesting catches.  He sometimes gives up on going to the ball.  
Physical DB can disrupt his route and make Ross essentially ineffective.
Ross gets frustrated by poor ball placement; and Dalton sometimes under-throws passes and doesn't have great ball placement.  
Ross had a good TD-Catch ratio coming out of college, which translated into the pros where about 33% of his catches were TDs.  

Here is Ross's draft profile:

"ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Has home-run gear to yank the top off of defenses. Vertical speed demands respect and creates open throws underneath. Corners open hips early to turn and sprint, leaving his curl and dig routes unchallenged. Feet are fire. On verticals from the slot, sells the corner route and stems to the post with a burst for easy separation and a comfortable throwing window for the quarterback. Hands are generally solid. Plus hand-eye coordination. Natural ball-tracker who locates the deep ball early and watches it. Dangerous show-and-go open-field ability after the catch. Able to win with slants or fades near the goal line. Eludes the first tackler and can turn a short one into a long one in a heartbeat. Has enough size to work from outside or from the slot. Saw four of his eight carries go for 15-plus yards. Has returned at least one kickoff for a touchdown in each of his three years at Washington.

WEAKNESSES Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama. Weight will creep too far out over his toes at times. Tape shows occasional stumbles over nothing but turf in his routes and after the catch. Needs to do better job of working back to the throw. Has to learn to make contested catches. Will need to sharpen his short and intermediate routes to become a true three-level target. Has had a major injury to both knees. The long-term health of both knees will be a concern that has to be answered at the combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1
SOURCES TELL US "He will get emotional on the field when he drops one or when their quarterback leaves an open deep ball short, and I've heard other scouts call it 'bad body language.' I just think he's an edgy player. He's competitive and shows it. You'll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does." -- West Coast scout for NFC team
NFL COMPARISON DeSean Jackson

BOTTOM LINE Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat."
-Lance Zierlein  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

Ross wasn't very good at just 'running down the field' or 'clearing this guy out'...so hopefully he does the other stuff better.

Honestly, there were reports that he struggled in minicamp and OTA's this year too.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 03:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross wasn't very good at just 'running down the field' or 'clearing this guy out'...so hopefully he does the other stuff better.

Honestly, there were reports that he struggled in minicamp and OTA's this year too.

Depends on how you interpret that comment.
If he meant essentially stretching the defense to open up underneath routes for other receivers, there's potentially evidence to support that.
Boyd, Uzomah, and Mixon all had their most receiving yards in 2018.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We'll see if he lives up to his talk.

For me, if we can just get a healthy year out of him, I'll call that a win. Sometimes, it seems like he's made of glass.

"Oh, what a great touchdown cat--oh, oops. looks like he pulled a hamstring."
*out for 3 weeks*
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't recall Boyd having to be vindicated after his sophomore disaster of a season. I also think Ross having a good or bad year as zero to do with coaching, coaches don't taker care of a player's body to keep them healthy. Coaches can't study for them, coaches can't give 100% for them.

Because Boyd went and balled out in the last game of the year, including the heartbreaker.

No vindication after that lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote