Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross is a Bengal
(04-28-2017, 09:38 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Our Redzone cost us dearly last year, we had to kick field goals and not very good.  OJ would have benefited us great over the middle, since Eifert is glass.  I don't know what contribution if any Ross will play this year.  Just down on the idea of picking a player who is hurt and not sure if he will play this year as a first rounder.. does not make sense.  

I also wanted Howard.  For the Ross selection to work in Cincinnati the team will need to draft a very good running back who can block.  Nevertheless, Butt may be available today.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:38 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Our Redzone cost us dearly last year, we had to kick field goals and not very good.  OJ would have benefited us great over the middle, since Eifert is glass.  I don't know what contribution if any Ross will play this year.  Just down on the idea of picking a player who is hurt and not sure if he will play this year as a first rounder.. does not make sense.  

John Ross will be equally beneficial in the red zone. That's where he made his bones.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:44 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I also wanted Howard.  For the Ross selection to work in Cincinnati the team will need to draft a very good running back who can block.  Nevertheless, Butt may be available today.  

Butt had an ACL Tear in the Bowl Game. He might be available in the 3rd-4th Round.

What I don't like about Howard...is we have Eifert. You know the Bengals aren't creative enough to use 2 TE's...so it would be basically drafting Howard to replace Eifert in a year.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 08:55 AM)lone bengal Wrote: At first I didn't like the pick but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.  If you look at the options at 9 Ross made sense.  We can't complain about his injuries and then say the Bengals should draft Allen who's had two serious shoulder injuries and arthritis, plus he plays Geno's position.  Foster at 9 was two high with a shoulder injury along with a ,diluted sample, being asked to leave the combine and character concerns.  People would have lost it if we drafted another CB in Lattimore because we have so many CB's plus this draft is loaded can get good one's later. Hooker at 9 maybe ? but he has injury problems too,  with the fact that he started one year and we have two young safeties.  We need O-line help but this is a terrible O-line draft and no linemen was even close to be being worthy of being drafted at 9. O.J Howard maybe? We need an RB but no RB was worth taking at 9 plus Cook, Mixon and Kamara all still on the Board going into day 2.

My thinking is similar to this.

Plus, looking at the big picture...we have a Top 10 defense.

It's our offense that isn't Top 10. How do we get that? Add speed.

While people do a straight stat for stat comparison with Marvin Jones and Lafell and say that it's a wash. Jones speed allowed some of the coverage to shift off of AJ. Ross gets us that back.
Reply/Quote
John Ross is not just a speedster ...

You can mark that done for sure, he's not just a player that can only run the 9. He has ability to run crisp routes and be feared running inside and outside, the man is not a one trick pony at all. He's got the ability to run the 9 but that's not his only game, before the combine he was projected to be a top 20 pick. The combine and speed did propel him to the top 10 though. I hope he puts on some size this offseason, get to 195ish and he starts immediately.

I personally think the starting WRs should be:

WR1: A.J. Green
WR2: John Ross
WR3: Tyler Boyd
WR4: Brandon LaFell
WR5: Cody Core

John Ross doesn't just help create explosive plays, the man helps the whole offense and players around him. Safeties will be back more due to being feared by Ross's record breaking speed, letting A.J., Eifert, and Boyd run wild in the middle.

Andy gets his #2 receiver of the future and we get the speedster/route runner we needed.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
What I don't like is that some teams dropped Ross down their boards or took him off their board entirely for medicals.

With the Chris Perry fiasco years ago and the Antonio Bryant fiasco...saying that he checked out with the Bengals doctors doesn't hold a ton of weight.
Reply/Quote
For those saying he is tiny are pretty misguided.

By no means is he a big WR but he is not tiny.

Desean Jackson is 5'10" 175
Odell beckham is 5'11" 195

John Ross is closer to beckham than desean 5'11" 190.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:14 AM)milksheikh Wrote: John Ross is not just a speedster ...

You can mark that done for sure, he's not just a player that can only run the 9. He has ability to run crisp routes and be feared running inside and outside, the man is not a one trick pony at all. He's got the ability to run the 9 but that's not his only game, before the combine he was projected to be a top 20 pick. The combine and speed did propel him to the top 10 though. I hope he puts on some size this offseason, get to 195ish and he starts immediately.

I personally think the starting WRs should be:

WR1: A.J. Green
WR2: John Ross
WR3: Tyler Boyd
WR4: Brandon LaFell
WR5: Cody Core

John Ross doesn't just help create explosive plays, the man helps the whole offense and players around him. Safeties will be back more due to being feared by Ross's record breaking speed, letting A.J., Eifert, and Boyd run wild in the middle.

Andy gets his #2 receiver of the future and we get the speedster/route runner we needed.

I think it's more likely Ross starts the year as the #3 or #4 WR. Plus, with his shoulder surgery he may not be ready for the start of camp.

It will be interesting to see if he can be a WR#2 at 5 foot 10.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's more likely Ross starts the year as the #3 or #4 WR. Plus, with his shoulder surgery he may not be ready for the start of camp.

He's 5'11 and 190 according to ESPN.

Reply/Quote
Well I would like to remind everyone on these boards that I said Ross could be in stripes after his combine run. I saw so many people in full EMO mode last night it was laughable. I mean how could you not see this coming when they had an article on nfl.com talking about the love connection after his visit. John Ross has come back from every injury a better player and they passed him medically which was my biggest concern, but scheme wise he's the perfect pick for the team and you will come around to my point of view once you see him lineup opposite AJ Green. Lastly I just want to say this guy has extremely high character marks and he's a true football player who can play multiple positions. He's bigger and faster than Desean Jackson who is actually working with him in the offseason.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's more likely Ross starts the year as the #3 or #4 WR. Plus, with his shoulder surgery he may not be ready for the start of camp.

if he can take the safety over the top aj and eifert eat all day...

Welcome to the jungle Ross... Your gonna fly
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I don't like is that some teams dropped Ross down their boards or took him off their board entirely for medicals.

With the Chris Perry fiasco years ago and the Antonio Bryant fiasco...saying that he checked out with the Bengals doctors doesn't hold a ton of weight.

This was according to many the worst class ever for medicals. A lot of teams had varying opinions on many of the guys. Look at Allen who many said was a top 5 talent falling to 17. Foster falls to 31, was that injury or was that character?

The doctors your referencing haven't been here for years. Since then we have been far more picky with guys having red medical issues coming in. Marvin eluded to it last night that our doctors signed off and that wasn't true for all the guys in the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I don't like is that some teams dropped Ross down their boards or took him off their board entirely for medicals.

His knee injuries healed so well that he actually became faster after the injury and he tore his shoulder in the 5th game of the year and still played the rest of the season with amazing numbers.  I know you got ur fiasco's but they really don't apply to his situation.  From scheme fit alone he was my #1 receiver for us and saying he's a bust at this point is near lunacy.  Do yourself a favor and give the guy the benefit of the doubt if he doesn't work out you can say " I told you so "  If he does work out he could be part one of the best tandems in the nfl.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if he can take the safety over the top aj and eifert eat all day...

Welcome to the jungle Ross... Your gonna fly

exactly and the guy carries himself very well.  Extremely competitive on the field and a businessman off the field.  our WR roster now is one of the best in the league, but more importantly they're all guys you root for off the field 

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: exactly and the guy carries himself very well.  Extremely competitive on the field and a businessman off the field.  our WR roster now is one of the best in the league, but more importantly they're all guys you root for off the field 

Agree with this, he's got a great character and just wants to be great.

Can't wait to see him on the field, man will change the minds of some folks.

Honestly, I see him as a faster Emmanuel Sanders who can run great routes and catch the ball well while having great speed.

Reply/Quote
Honestly, I like the pick. At the beginning of the draft process, I was dead set on the Bengals upgrading a position of need like DL or OL. However, the class is deep in DL and sparse in OL. Therefore, we can address both in later rounds or see what our current, young players bring to the table. Don't forget, we get Billings and Jackson III back. So our defense will already be injected with some rookie playmaker talent. I will also give Og another year before writing him off. Another year removed from the ACL tear should do some good for him.

I was hoping we would trade back into the end of the 1st round to get Foster, that would have been a homerun for me. That being said, I do want the Bengals to break the mold and start trading back into rounds. We have 10 picks left and pretty solid roster. I would not expect all 10 picks to make the team.

I see Cook or Mixon at pick 41 and then I would like for us to trade to either get two picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I would like one the 2 top C in Elfein or Pocic and then get DL. I believe that would set the stage for a good draft.
Reply/Quote
For all those wondering Brandon Lafell can be cut next year with 0 DEAD CAP. LaFell will start the year opposite AJ, but I am not sure he ends it there.
Reply/Quote
Here's the question though. If they think Ross will help open up the running game a bit more, would the Bengals want to spend a 2nd round pick on a RB or wait til the later rounds?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:44 AM)Au165 Wrote: John Ross is very good in the red zone surprisingly. He has a shortened sluggo he runs that is really effective against man coverage. He will play this year. He played last year with the shoulder injury and was effective, he will be ready for camp.

Plus ... we finally have a guy who ought to be able to turn "bubble screens" or and "end around" into a big play. Even if he doesn't, opposing defenses will have to respect the threat.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: John Ross will be equally beneficial in the red zone. That's where he made his bones.

In the Pac 12 with one solid year,  I have my doubts but here is to hoping!
Reply/Quote