Poll: Should Jonah be extended in the off-season
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams
What is the plan if they drop Williams after this season?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: What is the plan if they drop Williams after this season?

Jonah is signed through 2023, so I don't think they will. I'm pretty sure he will be here through next season. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: What is the plan if they drop Williams after this season?

Trade for a veteran  O linemen like Laramey Tunsil from the Texans.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

He won't get dropped. He's still far better than any depth guy the Bengals have and the Bengals already chose to pick up his 5th year option.
If anything, the Bengals will keep him through his 5th year option next year and draft a guy early this coming draft.
If the new guy can supplant Jonah next season at some point, great.
If not, the guy can groom behind before taking over in 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He won't get dropped. He's still far better than any depth guy the Bengals have and the Bengals already chose to pick up his 5th year option.
If anything, the Bengals will keep him through his 5th year option next year and draft a guy early this coming draft.

Yeah, Left Tackles better than Williams aren't going to be easy to find. Not that Williams is that great, there just aren't many coming out of college or not being resigned by their own teams who are going to be an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:23 PM)J24 Wrote: Trade for a veteran  O linemen like Laramey Tunsil from the Texans.

Tunsil is set to have a $35 mill cap hit next year with just $16 mill guaranteed by the Texans.
I don't know if the Bengals would be willing to take on an OT for even $19 mill.
It's also worth noting that Tunsil is entering the final year of his deal, so I doubt the Bengals would give up a draft pick for someone that expensive and also only getting one year out of them.

More likely, Bengals would wait to see if Tunsil would get released and then maybe try to scoop him up then.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tunsil is set to have a $35 mill cap hit next year with just $16 mill guaranteed by the Texans.
I don't know if the Bengals would be willing to take on an OT for even $19 mill.
It's also worth noting that Tunsil is entering the final year of his deal, so I doubt the Bengals would give up a draft pick for someone that expensive and also only getting one year out of them.

More likely, Bengals would wait to see if Tunsil would get released and then maybe try to scoop him up then.

If they make a deal for him I would assume a contract extension would be in the works. Also I don't see Tunsil being cut in the offseason and he probably will be tagged in 2024(if things remain the same). Someone will probably trade for him or the Texans would redo his deal.
J24

Reply/Quote
the andy dalton of left tackles? Im ok with Jonah, honestly. Let's see if he keeps this up rest of season, because he played well on sunday
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He won't get dropped. He's still far better than any depth guy the Bengals have and the Bengals already chose to pick up his 5th year option.

If they have a chance at a tackle in the first round of the 2023 draft it wouldnt be the worst idea. Left Tackle is a premium position with a big pay check. A LT on a rookie deal would be a big help in signing Burrow and Chase.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:59 PM)Synric Wrote: If they have a chance at a tackle in the first round of the 2023 draft it wouldnt be the worst idea. Left Tackle is a premium position with a big pay check. A LT on a rookie deal would be a big help in signing Burrow and Chase.

I think any LT coming out of college that is going to be worth anything will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick, unless they trade up.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think any LT coming out of college that is going to be worth anything will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick, unless they trade up.

You never know. The Vikings got Christian Darrisaw at 23 last year, and he’s pretty much been the best OT in the league this season.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You never know. The Vikings got Christian Darrisaw at 23 last year, and he’s pretty much been the best OT in the league this season.

Not only that, this might be a decent year on OTs falling as there's no top of the top guy plus QBs all over the board. Maybe Jones from Georgia or Fashanu (SP?) from Penn State. Skronski even perhaps.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You never know. The Vikings got Christian Darrisaw at 23 last year, and he’s pretty much been the best OT in the league this season.

That's a long way off from 32  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:47 PM)J24 Wrote: If they make a deal for him I would assume a contract extension would be in the works. Also I don't see Tunsil being cut in the offseason and he probably will be tagged in 2024(if things remain the same). Someone will probably trade for him or the Texans would redo his deal.

Being from Houston and listening to the local ESPN guys talk about the Texans daily, I'll say that nothing is as simple as you imply.

Tunsil came in a trade with Houston giving up two 1st round picks and Tunsil getting one of the worst contracts in NFL history (from the team perspective).  His deal has already been re-done and extended once, and would not be easily extended or modified.  On top of that with what Houston gave up, they aren't likely to give him up for a song, which is why, essentially he is still here to being with.  His contract makes him impossible to move.

Additionally, he has an attitude problem.  He up and quit on the team last year, and only came back to camp when he got his extension.  All he cares about is the money.  You'll get no discounts from him, that's for sure.  He's one of the best in the league and he'll expect to be paid like it.

Summary:  Getting Tunsil would require giving up at least a 1st rnd pick and paying Tunsil a top 1-2 Left OT salary.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: Being from Houston and listening to the local ESPN guys talk about the Texans daily, I'll say that nothing is as simple as you imply.

Tunsil came in a trade with Houston giving up two 1st round picks and Tunsil getting one of the worst contracts in NFL history (from the team perspective).  His deal has already been re-done and extended once, and would not be easily extended or modified.  On top of that with what Houston gave up, they aren't likely to give him up for a song, which is why, essentially he is still here to being with.  His contract makes him impossible to move.

Additionally, he has an attitude problem.  He up and quit on the team last year, and only came back to camp when he got his extension.  All he cares about is the money.  You'll get no discounts from him, that's for sure.  He's one of the best in the league and he'll expect to be paid like it.

Summary:  Getting Tunsil would require giving up at least a 1st rnd pick and paying Tunsil a top 1-2 Left OT salary.

When did I say we could get him on the cheap? Yeah it would be expensive and cost us at least a 1st(Probably more). 

Still getting a franchise LT would be worth it.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 03:49 PM)TheFan Wrote: That's a long way off from 32  Rock On

True. True.

Just saying, you don’t necessarily have to be drafting at the top to get a franchise tackle.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote