Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jonah Williams Requests Trade
(03-17-2023, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: LT's want to play LT

Well I guess he makes the decision to be a bottom of the league LT or take a shot at being a middle or higher in the league RT. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Good. He is an avg player.

an average starting left tackle is very valuable
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:59 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I guess he makes the decision to be a bottom of the league LT or take a shot at being a middle or higher in the league RT. 

when he's healthy he's in the 12-17 range for starting left tackles. Im not knocking him too much last year for playing through knee injuries
Reply/Quote
As others have said, just because he requested a trade does not mean he has any power to get it done. The team picked up his 5th year option so he is under contract on a 1 year deal.

For those saying he has no worth, look at his 2021 numbers and then say he is not good. The ball is in the Bengals court, trade him (likely at least a 2nd round pick and gain 12.6 million in cap or keep him and have him compete at LG or RT.

Keep him nd he likely at a minimum gets us a 3rd round comp. pick in 2025.

It will be interested to see if Bengals give him permission to seek a trade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I'd shop him immediately.  Don't know if we trade him if we are still stuck with his salary consequences.  But in general, an unhappy player is a bad situation.

If traded it would free up 12.6 million.  He didn't have any prorated bonus that continued into this year. The new team takes on the cap hit.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Jawaan Taylor just got 20m per year as a RT even if he is flipping to the left side and that was after only one good season. If you play well you get paid no matter where you line up on the Offensive Line (.... besides center).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: an average starting left tackle is very valuable

Yea.  He could draw interest.  His numbers are mediocre but he also played injured too..
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:53 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I like having him on the team for OL depth while competing for a job but I'd also be okay if he is traded immediately for a draft pick. I'd imagine interest in him and his value is low. 4th or 5th rounder at best?

I mean I assume it would come down to who pays what on his contract.  12.6M isn't bad for a starting LT but he is coming off a down year with an expiring deal.  Would the team he's traded to assume the full amount? If so a 4th sounds about right.  

Ideally, that would free you up to sign a starting RT if the high rates take a dive, but instead you could go back to Gardner-Johnson, or another position like TE.  That or what I really want is to see them front load an extension to a guy like Reader.  Pull the money forward to keep him 2 more years.  

Give me an extra 4th, keep Reader a little longer and if RT is still in play for the draft so be it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:56 AM)Nepa Wrote: By Jonah publicly requesting a trade, the Bengals are disadvantaged in trade negotiations. So, how much the Bengals would get back goes down a notch. I figured he would play the season and then go the free-agent route and leave. Didn't expect him to publicly announce he wants to leave now.

They were never going to get much for him anyway as he is an average LT with a 12.6 million dollar contract that is up after this year.  You might get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  One good thing is he is only 25 years old so he has a lot left in him and that has to be attractive to teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: an average starting left tackle is very valuable

He isn't average. He gave up more sacks than anyone in the league last season (12) that is way below average.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:59 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I guess he makes the decision to be a bottom of the league LT or take a shot at being a middle or higher in the league RT. 

I really thought he would be motivated to increase his free-agent value by moving to RT and trying to shine. I expected him to depart as a free-agent after the season, but never anticipated he would respond by requesting a trade. Hurts the Bengals by not doing this behind the scenes.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:56 AM)Nepa Wrote: By Jonah publicly requesting a trade, the Bengals are disadvantaged in trade negotiations. So, how much the Bengals would get back goes down a notch. I figured he would play the season and then go the free-agent route and leave. Didn't expect him to publicly announce he wants to leave now.

The Bengals play hardball with this stuff. I don't think it puts them at a disadvantage. Remember Carson Palmer? 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He isn't average. He gave up more sacks than anyone in the league last season (12) that is way below average.

this is a tired argument. He's proven he's an overall average starting left tackle. Sacks are important, but there's more to being a tackle than just sacks
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:03 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: They were never going to get much for him anyway as he is an average LT with a 12.6 million dollar contract that is up after this year.  You might get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  One good thing is he is only 25 years old so he has a lot left in him and that has to be attractive to teams.

Williams is not a flop. He started every game when healthy. Teams value OL, we would be stupid to trade him for anything less than a 3rd.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If I were the Bengals I would offer...

BEARS GET: Jonah and the Bengals 3rd (PROVIDED Jonah signs an extension)
BENGALS GET: Bears picks 2nd round #61 & 3rd round #64
Reply/Quote
They likely get a three for him I think. Depending on the team a three is not bad compensation especially with it also taking 12 million off of the cap number.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:04 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: The Bengals play hardball with this stuff. I don't think it puts them at a disadvantage. Remember Carson Palmer? 

Good point. Just don't entertain trade offers unless we get something the Bengals really like.

If not traded, Williams will have a choice. Be motivated to excel at RT and increase his value as a free-agent after the season. Or, don't invest fully as an RT, just mail it in, and his value on the open market will be less. 

He was going to leave after the season anyway. Give him this choice and I would think he will work hard in this contract year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Well news flash for Jonah...he just is not a great LT. So you can be a RT on a contender with as a good a chance as anyone to win it all or you can go be a mediocre LT somewhere else with far less chance of winning it all. He is coming off of a season where he gave up the most sacks in the league and were near that top of the league in pressures allowed.  He was also the one that stated that he would do whatever the team needed him to do. 

Fair, but if he tries to switch back to RT and it doesn't go well, that could lower his value even more when he's set to hit FA after this year.
Or it does go well and teams now want him to be RT moving forward and not LT, which could also affect how much he's offered (assuming RTs still mostly get paid less than LTs).
And at the end of the day, this job is what pays him, and he's looking for his first veteran contract, so he's going to want to try to secure as big of a bag as possible with his first veteran deal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:44 AM)OSUfan Wrote: According to Ian Rapoport Jonah Williams has, thru his agent, requested a trade.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Apparently he is not as happy about doing whatever the teams needs him to do as he stated he was.

There will be a market for him, so they should move him. It’s a good outcome. Draft days is probably the right time to move him.
Reply/Quote
When considering Value nothing less than a high 5th round pick works because even as an average starting tackle he will sign some where at decent money and play so he will get at the very least a 5th round comp pick in 2024.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote