Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jonah Williams Requests Trade
(03-17-2023, 12:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this is a tired argument. He's proven he's an overall average starting left tackle. Sacks are important, but there's more to being a tackle than just sacks

Sacks are extremely important just ask any QB who has one result in ACL surgery. Even in '21 when he posted his highest grade the eye test did not jump out saying this guy is great. Joe's legs saved Jonah on many occasions in '21. Jonah has an opportunity this season to raise his value by being an outstanding RT. He obviously does not like this idea. RTs get paid very well also.
Reply/Quote
Jonah has regressed every year since his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, but if he tries to switch back to RT and it doesn't go well, that could lower his value even more when he's set to hit FA after this year.
Or it does go well and teams now want him to be RT moving forward and not LT, which could also affect how much he's offered (assuming RTs still mostly get paid less than LTs).
And at the end of the day, this job is what pays him, and he's looking for his first veteran contract, so he's going to want to try to secure as big of a bag as possible with his first veteran deal.

Fair enough I agree with these statements.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jonah has regressed every year since his rookie year.

Actually, if I am not mistaken he had his highest grade in '21 which I believe was in the 81 range but even at that when watching his performance he did not jump off the field as a must have LT or a top tier LT.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jonah has regressed every year since his rookie year.

he didnt play his rookie year. He was better in 2021 than in 2020. 2022 he had knee injuries.

so you have no idea what you're even talking about. Time to stop posting
Reply/Quote
Playing injured definitely resulted in his struggles last season. I think he'll make a fine addition for any team looking for good value at LT.
Pretty much 2 steps forward, 1 step back for us.
Think Carman will possibly move to RT? It's a little bit scary but I thought he improved down the stretch.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Regarding post about Jonah playing guard. I remember Whitworth talked about how he didn’t want to go back to guard ever. He said it’s a big difference. I am pretty sure La’el Collins also told Dallas he wouldn’t play guard anymore. Most of these tackles dont want to transition to a guard. I am not saying it is right or wrong but it’s just how it is a lot of the times. You can do it on Madden pretty easy though ??
Reply/Quote
Trade him. Who asks for a trade off a Championship caliber team but a weak link?

They caved to Dunlap. Zac operates different than Marvin.

Get anything for him. Was he good in 2021 or did he look better than his fellow starting lineman now unemployed?

Its debatable given how his play looked with improved lineman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It would be in Jonah Williams best interest to just go ahead and play it out and go the FA route.I’m a little surprised at his request.It appears they may have stepped on his ego a little by bringing in Orlando at LT.If I were the Bengals,I would deny the request.

Obviously,his future with the Bengals is going to be short lived anyways.I would even add more salt to his wound by drafting a RT with pick 28.Not to spite him,but,it’s just the right thing to do.(Although,I think they’ll likely take a TE there.)

Sometimes NFL teams have to make tough decisions,and not everyone is going to be happy.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As others have said, just because he requested a trade does not mean he has any power to get it done. The team picked up his 5th year option so he is under contract on a 1 year deal.

For those saying he has no worth, look at his 2021 numbers and then say he is not good. The ball is in the Bengals court, trade him (likely at least a 2nd round pick and gain 12.6 million in cap or keep him and have him compete at LG or RT.

Keep him nd he likely at a minimum gets us a 3rd round comp. pick in 2025.

It will be interested to see if Bengals give him permission to seek a trade.

There not  getting a 2nd round pick for him.
Reply/Quote
Yuck... interested to see how this plays out.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Good point. Just don't entertain trade offers unless we get something the Bengals really like.

If not traded, Williams will have a choice. Be motivated to excel at RT and increase his value as a free-agent after the season. Or, don't invest fully as an RT, just mail it in, and his value on the open market will be less. 

He was going to leave after the season anyway. Give him this choice and I would think he will work hard in this contract year.

Yeah he has no leverage. The Bengals have a marketable asset for half the teams needing an upgrade at LT. The Bengals knew Jonah wouldn’t like it, Pollack said so in an interview. I suspect they expected a trade request and probably were going to try and trade him regardless. More draft day intrigue.
Reply/Quote
Makes sense to wait to draft day if they find a tackle they like in round 1 or 2 trade him for a 3rd and 4th that some team who has a need for one who missed on getting one.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:17 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: There not  getting a 2nd round pick for him.

Never say never.

But as I said, then we keep him and move him. It is not in his best interests on a contract year to give 100%, that would devalue him for 2024.

We hold the cards, not him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Y’all are overvaluing Jonah’s value.

A 4th is where I’d be for him if he were say a Dolphin and we wanted him.

A 3rd MAYBE if i don’t have many holes. This is not the draft to trade out if the first 3 rounds
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Nothing special about him at all, but I don't want to trade away offensive lineman unless the offer is really attractive.

See what comes, and if nothing solid materializes, keep him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
They can give him the permission to seek a trade. Let him see he's not worth much.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think you got to get something for him.

Odds are Jonah makes this very messy and will threaten to sit out. As noted, LT do not want to move positions because it is not financially beneficial for them to do so.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Never say never.

But as I said, then we keep him and move him. It is not in his best interests on a contract year to give 100%, that would devalue him for 2024.

We hold the cards, not him.

We must acknowledge that we are screwing him over

Lineman hate switching positions

Usually I’d say screw him and keep him but me facilitating his trade request would be nothing more than me acknowledging he shouldn’t have to be asked to switch positions in year 5. It’s a no win situation for him. If he’s bad then the RT stone has been turned and his value is forever hurt. The only good scenario in playing out this season at RT would be is if he does really well but that’s too much pressure. If he plays RT his RT play will be judged as harshly as his LT play is judged. If he bombs we could essentially be killing his career.

I’d demand a trade too if i were uncomfortable switching to RT
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:52 AM)Nepa Wrote: Not surprised. I figured he was gone after the season anyway because he wanted to play LT. The problem with his wanting to be traded is that it disadvantages the Bengals in trade negotiations.

Not really because no one believes he’s gonna sit out.

Us fulfilling the trade request would be us being nice to him in acknowledging that this move to RT could hurt his future earnings
-Housh
Reply/Quote