Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jonah Williams is playing like a premier LT
(10-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Perhaps the debate had a bigger affect on yours, because you missed the 2 posts bringing up Sewell/Chase. Hint: neither was yours.

Perhaps you should call out those specific posters then. Because the way I read your post it seemed like you were annoyed I even started the thread (since you just made a general statement against “Team Chase”).

Anyway, I’be been openly against “rubbing it in” thus far. I straight up told people to knock it off when they were doing it in that will we regret taking Chase thread.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My post was literally in response to yours (and one other), so mine wouldn't exist if you didn't feel the need to go there. But here we are.

Sewell was barely tested at RT. In preseason, where Chase also looked like doo-doo.

But Chase turned it around.

Unsure why it would be in response to my post. Folks have been wanting to move Jonah inside since we took him in the draft. 

Yours were just one of the few that brought up Chase or Sewell in a Jonah thread. I simply agreed I don't like it either. The difference is: I don't add to it and then curse it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 11:54 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Thanks. My bad, for some reason my brain skipped over that part. Apologies.  

This is VERY good news. 

Still, I am not sure about PFF's secret sauce. How can a guy be top 5 pass blocking, top 10 run blocking, and 17th overall? There must be other components besides run & pass blocking? 

As stupid as it sounds...they don't average out the 2 grades to come up with an overall grade. The overall grade is just that. How they "perceive" a player performing "overall". I don't understand why they do that, but they do. 

EDIT: Pass Block Efficiency is actually based on numbers. Some equation abot snaps vs pressure with sacks being weighted i believe. Pass Block Efficiency and grades are two different things.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
ESPN has a Pass Block Win Rate and a Run Block Win Rate but I see no way at all to get those.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: PFF is back in our good graces it seems.

[Image: tumblr_nduoamVDHB1r48t0bo1_500.gif]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My post was literally in response to yours (and one other), so mine wouldn't exist if you didn't feel the need to go there. But here we are.

Sewell was barely tested at RT. In preseason, where Chase also looked like doo-doo.

But Chase turned it around.

Here is a thought, chances are Chase and Sewell will both have great NFL careers. Bengals decided to go with the WR and draft an OT in round 2 and 4 I believe.

It does not mean Sewell would have been a bad pick either, but early on it appears they Bengals had a great 2021 draft which as fans we should all applaud.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Wow, thought Jonah was playing good but that is elite! Shocked
Reply/Quote
[attachment=1290]

Watch out for this OL to become a top unit in the league? Having a premier LT is a big step to get there.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:30 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Stay healthy

^^^^^^^^^^This 100%^^^^^^^^

Believe we all knew Jonah was very good just need him to not become a Tyler Eiffert. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 11:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far in 2019 Williams and Pratt appear to be keepers and Sample while perhaps overdrafted is also proving to have value.

2020 is just amazing so far - Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Adeniji

Then this year - Chase, Carman, McPherson, Sample just to start. And Ossai, Trey Hill, D'Ante Smith and Evans on deck not to mention Shelvin.

I've been saying this about the past couple draft classes for a while.  That slide for Carman to get two extra fourth rounders was huge.  It allowed them to use the equity of a 5th rounder on a kicker, which has already paid huge dividends.  

Sample and D'Ante Smith are guys that have already contributed and I think Smith could be a starter yet this year.  Shelvin will be quality depth at NT.  That fourth round was an "all trench" round, and Carman is starting to show why they liked him so much in Rd 2.  

I scouted Hill very little and have no idea what to expect should he need to go today.  A 6th rounder starting his rookie season at Center is a pretty big ask, but we may have to find out.  
Reply/Quote
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 05:48 PM)Destro Wrote: Ninja

Yeah, he did get manhandled by a slightly above average rusher this week for a sack.

The offensive line in general got manhandled by a beat up, average unit in the Packers. I think we should have run the ball more to take some pressure off.
Reply/Quote
I think by the end of the year, people will realize that both sides of the Sewell/Chase debate were "right". We could've desperately used both of them. Too bad we couldn't trade back up for Slater or somebody.

*This isn't me saying Jonah is a bust or anything stupid. Just saying we need more (serious) talent on the line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

So through 5 games we’re slightly above middle of the pack in pass pro. I think most people would have signed up for that. And that’s with Hopkins really dragging them down.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
So through 5 games we’re slightly above middle of the pack in pass pro. I think most people would have signed up for that. And that’s with Hopkins really dragging them down.

I truly believe Hopkins rushed back too soon. Is Trey Hill still recovering from his surgery?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 07:49 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I truly believe Hopkins rushed back too soon. Is Trey Hill still recovering from his surgery?

Hopkins was not injured until January of this year.  It absolutely blew my mind that he was ready to return by opening day.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hopkins was not injured until January of this year.  It absolutely blew my mind that he was ready to return by opening day.

There’s no way he’s fully recovered or close. I feel like Zac may have coaxed Hopkins into coming back so he can move billy price, another first round player from the old regime.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 09:08 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote:  I feel like Zac may have coaxed Hopkins into coming back.

Players generally want to return as soon as possible.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 06:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Players generally want to return as soon as possible.

True, but he’s still struggling with things he wasn’t struggling with last year. I feel like he was pushed to return so he can move billy price
Reply/Quote