Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Bynes is your newest Bengals

Well, at least we've got another body there. Could be a lot worse.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:54 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote:

This is a good signing, he’s pretty good when healthy. Could’ve been brought Vigil back , who’s worse than Bynes
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:54 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote:

If you're gonna get a LB from somebody, the Ratbirds ain't a bad place to go.  They just keep producing them, one after another.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Nice. Not bad. We can still draft a linebacker early. A couple linebackers at least.
Reply/Quote
He was PFF's 6th rated LB though with limited snaps. He averaged around 33 snaps per game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:55 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: This is a good signing, he’s pretty good when healthy. Could’ve been brought Vigil back , who’s worse than Bynes

Not really. He's better vs the run, but limited in the pass game. Vigil was meh on both.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A vet minimum contract for a guy that might have some value. Not a solution, but likely not a bad addition to the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:01 PM)pally Wrote: He was PFF's 6th rated LB though with limited snaps.  He averaged around 33 snaps per game

Well hell.  Did we even have a guy in the top 106?

Can he cover?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I liked him as a SAM in 4-3 looks and was one I thought would be in play if we moved on from Vigil.
Reply/Quote
I'd consider him an upgrade to Vigil. without having looked closely yet, I would venture to say better vs the run and close coverage-wise (in comparison to Vigil).
Reply/Quote
Welcome Bynes. Good signing and needed for sure. I already like the potential of Pratt and Bynes over Brown and Vigil. Plenty of time to add more LBs in FA and the draft, but this is a good starting point since we couldnt land Scho or Littleton.
Reply/Quote
From Cincyjungle 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/24/21193258/ravens-news-bengals-josh-bynes-contract-nfl-free-agent-rumors-2020-agency?utm_campaign=cincyjungle&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"This is a big move for the Bengals’ defense, as Bynes is easily the best player in the linebacking corps now. He actually finished 2019 with a 76.2 Pro Football Focus grade, which is significantly better than any Bengals linebacker had last year.

What made this even bigger is it came just hours after Nick Vigil left to sign with the Los Angeles Chargers, putting the Bengals’ linebacker group in a world of hurt for next season. Bynes may not be a star who dramatically changes a defense, but he’s a major boost to what is easily the biggest position of weakness on the Bengals’ roster.

Bynes appeared in 12 games (7 starts) last year and racked up 46 total tackles, four pass deflections, two interceptions and one sack. He did so after not signing with Baltimore until October 2nd.

The 30-year-old journeyman was previously with the Arizona Cardinals from 2017-18, where he appeared in 25 games (12 starts). His 2018 season was cut short after a thumb injury landed him on injured reserve on November 26, 2018.

Prior to that, the 6-1, 235-pound Bynes spent three years with the Detroit Lions. He was originally an undrafted free agent out of Auburn in 2011 who signed with Baltimore and spent his first three NFL seasons there.

In 101 career games, Bynes has recorded 378 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 26 pass deflections, 12 QB hits, 4.5 sacks and four interceptions.

Again, Bynes wouldn’t be a big pickup for a lot of NFL teams, but for the Bengals, he was a much-needed addition that will bring some stability and veteran leadership at linebacker, something they desperately needed."
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
A top interior tackle, two very good tackling corners, and now a 34 SILB/43 SAM.

I think the Bengals want to stop the run.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:10 PM)McC Wrote: Well hell.  Did we even have a guy in the top 106?

Can he cover?

Oh yes. Josh Bynes is fast enough to cover tight ends and a few running backs. He’s a huge contrast to the usual Bengals linebacker who has been practicing “social distancing” long before it was cool.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  Josh Bynes is fast enough to cover tight ends and a few running backs.  He’s a huge contrast to the usual Bengals linebacker who has been practicing “social distancing” long before it was cool.

Not so sure about the "fast enough" part.  His listed 40 time is 4.81, and I seriously doubt that he's gotten faster since then.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This guy is not very good. Would be surprised if he plays meaningful snaps.

I did not like Vigil, but we are perilously thin at LB now.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)Synric Wrote: A top interior tackle, two very good tackling corners, and now a 34 SILB/43 SAM.

Yep, they obviously had a clear plan and they've stuck to it. Great to see after the past few years of getting gashed by the run.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  Josh Bynes is fast enough to cover tight ends and a few running backs.  He’s a huge contrast to the usual Bengals linebacker who has been practicing “social distancing” long before it was cool.
Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)Synric Wrote: A top interior tackle, two very good tackling corners, and now a 34 SILB/43 SAM.

You might as well do one thing really good if you can’t do both decently. Last year we couldn’t do either well.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not so sure about the "fast enough" part.  His listed 40 time is 4.81, and I seriously doubt that he's gotten faster since then.

He got his hands on 6 passes last year which is probably more than all our LB's combined.

Reply/Quote