Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Kid Arrested For Making A.......Clock?
(09-17-2015, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The big problem was that he refuse to tell them if they should cut the red wire or the blue wire to make it stop working.

Too bad he didn't tell the bus driver that he couldn't drop below 55 miles per hour.
(09-17-2015, 02:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Too bad he didn't tell the bus driver that he couldn't drop below 55 miles per hour.

You mean like Speed 2 but with a bus instead of a boat?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-17-2015, 02:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You mean like Speed 2 but with a bus instead of a boat?

No, like Speed one but the villain has the mental capacity of a 14 year old not Gary Bu....wait no...that's the same....can we still blow up Jeff Daniels? 
(09-17-2015, 01:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Come on man.....  This is way over the top.  

this is what you get with no tolerance policies.  

And he should know why this happened.   if he is that bothered then he can leave public school.  

Plenty of options.

Where I grew up in Ohio most people were to poor for any options other than public school.  Mine included. 
(09-17-2015, 02:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Where I grew up in Ohio most people were to poor for any options other than public school.  Mine included. 

Home school then. Very low cost and very effective.
(09-17-2015, 02:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Home school then.   Very low cost and very effective.

Almost impossible if both parents are working full time.
(09-17-2015, 02:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Home school then.   Very low cost and very effective.

My dad could barely read or write.  My mom worked full time and took care of the house.  Home schooling wasn't really a viable option.  I'm an evidence guy.  Do you have evidence home schooling is very effective?  Or just more lip service?
(09-17-2015, 01:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Come on man..... This is way over the top.

How so?

(09-17-2015, 01:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: this is what you get with no tolerance policies.

I agree, to an extent. This is what you get when zero tolerance policies are applied based upon someone's name, how they look, and/or their religion. We will probably never know how this would have turned out if he had done this and was a white Christian names Johnathan McHenry or something, but I doubt it would have been the same reaction.

(09-17-2015, 01:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And he should know why this happened. if he is that bothered then he can leave public school.

Plenty of options.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything I said, but whatever. He is transferring out of that school, and I don't blame him. But the kind of damage this sort of an event can cause has already been done. We just have to hope that there is more positive that comes from this than the negative.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Here is the bottom line, they are trying to charge him under the hoax bomb statute which is....

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

The problem is he never claimed it was a bomb, and denied it was a bomb when asked. Anything could look like a bomb, but if there is no intent to present it that way then there is no way he meets the criteria for this. It's a joke that they even want to act like he did something mildly wrong, when it is obvious they over reacted based on profiling him.
(09-17-2015, 05:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Here is the bottom line, they are trying to charge him under the hoax bomb statute which is....

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

The problem is he never claimed it was a bomb, and denied it was a bomb when asked. Anything could look like a bomb, but if there is no intent to present it that way then there is no way he meets the criteria for this. It's a joke that they even want to act like he did something mildly wrong, when it is obvious they over reacted based on profiling him.

Bingo.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
[Image: 11990399_10206295103249371_6248486280095...e=569B278E]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-17-2015, 09:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 11990399_10206295103249371_6248486280095...e=569B278E]

They repeatedly said that he had made a "hoax bomb".  They thought he was going to leave it somewhere to frighten people.  That is why they did not evacuate the school or take any of those other steps.
(09-17-2015, 05:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Here is the bottom line, they are trying to charge him under the hoax bomb statute which is....

Seems more to me like the English teacher is the one who started telling everyone this project for Engineering class (and therefore something I'd assume she knew nothing about) was a bomb, ergo she was the one committing the "hoax."  I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this english teacher watches too much "news" about Americans being in constant danger. I'm no engineer, but I can't imagine this kid was the only one to bring in a project that looked like a bomb in the eyes of a non-engineer.
(09-17-2015, 09:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They repeatedly said that he had made a "hoax bomb".  They thought he was going to leave it somewhere to frighten people.  That is why they did not evacuate the school or take any of those other steps.

Yeah, I heard the same kid was carrying a bookbag fool of what were most likely bombs designed to look like schoolbooks, too. Ninja
(09-17-2015, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Almost impossible if both parents are working full time.

Wrong. very simple. Unless both parents work 18 hours a day.
(09-17-2015, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: How so?

I agree, to an extent. This is what you get when zero tolerance policies are applied based upon someone's name, how they look, and/or their religion. We will probably never know how this would have turned out if he had done this and was a white Christian names Johnathan McHenry or something, but I doubt it would have been the same reaction.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything I said, but whatever. He is transferring out of that school, and I don't blame him. But the kind of damage this sort of an event can cause has already been done. We just have to hope that there is more positive that comes from this than the negative.

Here is the lesson for the kid. Don't mess around with fake bombs in a public school. Good for him for leaving but if his parents are dumb enough to send him to another public school then im not sure how that fixes anything.

When kids do dumb things I have zero sympathy. Everyone knows how schools are these days. And schools are very direct in their rules at the beginning of the year.
(09-17-2015, 02:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: My dad could barely read or write.  My mom worked full time and took care of the house.  Home schooling wasn't really a viable option.  I'm an evidence guy.  Do you have evidence home schooling is very effective?  Or just more lip service?

I don't have to do your homework. Look it up. And you are pretty naive about how home schooling works. But that's expected most are ignorant on the topic. It's not your fault.
(09-18-2015, 10:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Here is the lesson for the kid.   Don't mess around with fake bombs in a public school.    Good for him for leaving but if his parents are dumb enough to send him to another public school then im not sure how that fixes anything.  

When kids do dumb things I have zero sympathy.   Everyone knows how schools are these days.   And schools are very direct in their rules at the beginning of the year.

Good thing the kid didn't mess around with a fake bomb.

Does this school outlaw clocks from being taken into school? If so, then you have a great point. If not, this post doesn't make much sense.
(09-18-2015, 10:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't have to do your homework.  Look it up.   And you are pretty naive about how home schooling works.   But that's expected most are ignorant on the topic.   It's not your fault.

It's naive of you to tell me I'm naive about how home schooling works since you have no idea how I think home schooling works.

You claimed home schooling is very effective. I asked for evidence to support your claim. It isn't my job to prove your claims aren't more lies. No, it isn't my fault you make unsupported claims.
(09-18-2015, 10:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wrong.  very simple.   Unless both parents work 18 hours a day.

Wrong.  Not very simple.