Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Knee Jerks Reactions
After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The only dilemma from last night is who is going to be our kicker. Bullock or Elliot? I like both, but I think we should stick with the veteran for now.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:58 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.

Let me roll around in misery and disgust. What my eyes saw last night cannot be unseen.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 11:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Let me roll around in misery and disgust. What my eyes saw last night cannot be unseen.

Likewise. What we saw last night was discouraging as hell. We all expected the Oline to be a liability, but the entire defense? The way the D finished last season, this was the last thing I expected to see. They have regressed, big time. I don't know what Paulie G is doing but he better get these guys on track. Fast. There's no excuse for poor fundamentals, preseason or not.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:58 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.

My offseason prediction was 6-10 or 7-9. I still stand by that. Preseason Game 1 didn't give me enough hope to think the Bengals would all of a sudden be a playoff contender.
This team will try to dink and dunk its way down the field on offense, but if the defense plays like it has so far this preseason, there's no chance that the offense can compensate.
We know Mike Brown puts a lot of value on loyalty, and I think he was really surprised to see Whitworth leave after all these years because he thought Whitworth would have been loyal enough to be a Bengal for life. Now the OL is up s**t creek without a paddle and will have to go through (a lot of) growing pains this year. 
I've been preparing myself for a 1st round OT in next year's draft and I still stand by that from what I've seen so far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have no idea why folks are upset about what they are seeing in preseason. All folks say they want to see is no injuries and we have been very fortunate; only suffering one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are upset about what they are seeing in preseason. All folks say they want to see is no injuries and we have been very fortunate; only suffering one.

All there is to it.

Who cares about score or, "display that I saw."

If they play like last night for the first 3 weeks of the year, THEN you worry.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I understand that it's preseason.
I understand that they're not game-planning for these games like they do in the regular season.
I understand that they are playing vanilla schemes.

What I don't understand is why, year after year, these defensive players continue to launch themselves at the ball-carrier at full speed like they are ***** torpedoes instead of wrapping their guy up.

If there is anything that gets my blood boiling more than anything else, it's poor tackling and over-pursuit. And it was on full display last night. I genuinely, emphatically do not understand how this team can be so bad at something so ***** basic year after year. The coaches should be having aneurysms over this. Instead, it's always the same listless response. "We gotta do a better job." No shit. Maybe actually ***** do it this year.

/knee jerk
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All there is to it.

Who cares about score or, "display that I saw."

If they play like last night for the first 3 weeks of the year, THEN you worry.

Truck, Truck, Truck! My Canadian brother. We are in a bad place right now after that display last night. It wasn't just sloppy play or kids learning the system. It was horrendous display of shit in most aspects. Even the basic fundamentals were not present. It was embarrassing, humiliating and resembled talent you would see on a pee-wee football team. The only thing lacking was our players picking their noses and eating boogers. 

Reply/Quote
I try hard to limit the knee jerk reaction I have. Like Big Boss and others have said I fully understand this is preseason and the final score matters little. I fully understand they're trying to evaluate individual players doing their jobs and playcalling suffers accordingly.

Having said all of that, what I'm seeing greatly concerns me about as much as is possible. I'm not screaming the sky is falling ! I'm saying we're not performing well in any facet of the game - overall. Besides maybe kicking

Our O-line is showing signs of being weak. They're even calling plays to limit the impact (short passes/quick release). Our D-line in the big picture is getting very little pressure. Our tackling, awareness, angle taking etc. for the whole defense is horrible !

The defense is a big surprise. The O-line isn't. We'll find out a bunch in the next game
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:24 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I understand that it's preseason.
I understand that they're not game-planning these games like they do in the regular season.
I understand that they are playing vanilla schemes.

What I don't understand is why, year after year, these defensive players continue to launch themselves at the ball-carrier at full speed like they are ***** torpedoes instead of wrapping their guy up.  

If there is anything that gets my blood boiling more than anything else, it's poor tackling and over-pursuit.  And it was on full display last night.  I genuinely, emphatically do not understand how this team can be so bad at something so ***** basic year after year.  The coaches should be having aneurysms over this.  Instead, it's always the same listless response.  "We gotta do a better job."  No shit.  Maybe actually ***** do it this year.

/knee jerk

God I hate that shit. It is the same excuse over and over and over and over. "We have to do a better job!" No shit Sherlock! But knowing you need to do better and actually executing what should be done does not go hand in hand with this coaching staff. They are ridiculously inept in every aspect of the game. Bottom line, if we had better coaches, we have a very good team on the field. Yet, we have Marvin. A 15yr resume of disorganization, failure to complete tasks, and a horrible knowledge of clock management.  

Reply/Quote
How they play next week will tell us how capable the coaches are at addressing the problems. Basically every failure you look for to present itself so you know where to fix it was displayed last night. It was like sitting in on an AA meeting. If they keep this shit up, I'll be a lifetime member!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: God I hate that shit. It is the same excuse over and over and over and over. "We have to do a better job!" No shit Sherlock! But knowing you need to do better and actually executing what should be done does not go hand in hand with this coaching staff. They are ridiculously inept in every aspect of the game. Bottom line, if we had better coaches, we have a very good team on the field. Yet, we have Marvin. A 15yr resume of disorganization, failure to complete tasks, and a horrible knowledge of clock management.  

Boy....that shit show of "clock management" at the end of the first half was PATHETIC. My God....call the T.O. with 13 seconds on the clock, you then have a shot at the end zone, and if incomplete, you still have time for the FG. FFS Mediocre Marv..

As for the team....I thought the o line showed a tad more improvement again...the defense not so much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boy....that shit show of "clock management" at the end of the first half was PATHETIC. My God....call the T.O. with 13 seconds on the clock, you then have a shot at the end zone, and if incomplete, you still have time for the FG. FFS Mediocre Marv..

As for the team....I thought the o line showed a tad more improvement again...the defense not so much.

Doesn't he have people in his ear yelling, "Call a fugin time out?

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: How they play next week  in week one against a team many picked to make the playoffs and week 2  team picked to win their division comfortably will tell us how capable the coaches are at addressing the problems. Basically every failure you look for to present itself so you know where to fix it was displayed last night. It was like sitting in on an AA meeting. If they keep this shit up, I'll be a lifetime member!
I tweaked your post only because it means nothing playing great next preseason game if it does not carry over into week 1.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote:
Boy....that shit show of "clock management" at the end of the first half was PATHETIC
. My God....call the T.O. with 13 seconds on the clock, you then have a shot at the end zone, and if incomplete, you still have time for the FG. FFS Mediocre Marv..

I agree and that falls squarely on ML, but also on AJ. There was no way to get 2 or 3 plays without calling the time out.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
There's a reason theyre called exhibition games...they dont matter. What they do offer is a chance to get playing time, a chance for some guys to impress and make the roster, and a chance to put our mistakes on tape so the coaches can work on correcting them. We put a lot of crap on tape last night. Let's hope the coaches use that to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: There's a reason theyre called exhibition games...they dont matter. What they do offer is a chance to get playing time, a chance for some guys to impress and make the roster, and a chance to put our mistakes on tape so the coaches can work on correcting them. We put a lot of crap on tape last night. Let's hope the coaches use that to fix it.

Now I know why some people do Heroin! All Bengals fans!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 11:12 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Likewise. What we saw last night was discouraging as hell. We all expected the Oline to be a liability, but the entire defense? The way the D finished last season, this was the last thing I expected to see. They have regressed, big time. I don't know what Paulie G is doing but he better get these guys on track. Fast. There's no excuse for poor fundamentals, preseason or not.

Still holding at 8-8 P?  I will wait for the Redskin game before I tweak, if I end up doing so.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Still holding at 8-8 P?  I will wait for the Redskin game before I tweak, if I end up doing so.  

Yeah for now, call me an eternal optimist haha  Mellow

I'm with you though, I'll wait until after the next couple exhibition games before a final prediction. We looked absolutely horrific during the 2011 preseason (I predicted 3 wins and a first overall pick after that) and somehow we shocked the world and made the playoffs. And in 2015, I thought we looked pretty damn sad as well (especially in the dress rehearsal against Tampa). I predicted 9 wins at best... I think in 2012 I predicted 10 wins and I know I predicted 11 wins in 2013. I can't remember 2014... Last year I said a minim of 10 (whoops).

So bottom line, my prediction could be entirely wrong again. In fact I expect it to be... I just hope the win total is north of my current prediction.
Reply/Quote