Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says team is discussing signing Warford
(06-13-2020, 08:49 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Our OL is a disaster comparatively. So any FA is enticing.

But do we really want to implement a culture shift and fill our roster with high-character young players who can develop? Or pick up aging vets on the decline with motivational red flags (e.g. being out of shape).  He also can't pass protect which is the main reason everyone wants him (because of keeping Burrow clean).  I just don't think he fits with the image of the team.

Redmond and Price both can run block and still develop.  I guess it comes down to our 2021 draft board and if IL is high on the list.

Can't pass protect is relative.  Is Warford a top tier pass blocker?  No.  Is he a billion times better than what we have?  Yes.

Last year, Price graded 1.6 in pass pro against the Rams.  That's out of 100.  Warford is so far beyond Price that the light from Warford takes a billion years to reach Price.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To be fair to Price the entire OL was atrocious against the Rams, and Price was also one of the players who improved when the blocking scheme changed.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:47 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but would you accept adding Kline if they felt that was their best option for talent and contract

Sure, I think I know the name it is just avoiding me at this moment. Who did Josh Kline play for again?
Reply/Quote
Here's the FiK Rule for free agents:  Is the player better than anyone else the Bengals have at that position?  If so then sign him.  If not, move on.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 06:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know much about Kline but would love to bring in Person.

Klein is durable, has a good snap count, relatively low penalties and sacks given up.  He rated 61.4 on PFF last season, far better than any Bengal Guard last year.  Would be a solid addition, likely at a reasonable cost.  Maybe not a long term solution, as he's 30;  But maybe not so much as he didn't play a ton his first two years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Klein is durable, has a good snap count, relatively low penalties and sacks given up.  He rated 61.4 on PFF last season, far better than any Bengal Guard last year.  Would be a solid addition, likely at a reasonable cost.  Maybe not a long term solution, as he's 30;  But maybe not so much as he didn't play a ton his first two years.

Awesome, thanks Sunset. All for Klein then. What team was he on again?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome, thanks Sunset. All for Klein then. What team was he on again?

hes played for Patriots, titans and Viklngs.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: To be fair to Price the entire OL was atrocious against the Rams, and Price was also one of the players who improved when the blocking scheme changed.

Price is Horrible. There may not have been a worse starter at his position in the league. He is seriously that bad.... I wish they would cut him already...
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: To be fair to Price the entire OL was atrocious against the Rams, and Price was also one of the players who improved when the blocking scheme changed.

(06-16-2020, 06:33 PM)Tony Wrote: Price is Horrible. There may not have been a worse starter at his position in the league. He is seriously that bad.... I wish they would cut him already...

I have to agree with Tony on this one.  Had Price shown any signs of life, like even demonstrated any dominate series or two in a few games, I might have a bit more hope for him.  However, his entire body of work with the Bengals is far beyond being excusable in a game that the entire OL got their collective tails whooped.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 06:26 PM)Bruce Wrote: hes played for Patriots, titans and Viklngs.

Thanks Bruce, now I know who you are talking about. Watched him quite a bit on the Vikes.

All for Josh Klein now, sounds like a better pass protector than Warford.
Reply/Quote
Think most of the big free agents remaining are holding out to see if a 2020 season will even be played.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 06:33 PM)Tony Wrote: Price is Horrible. There may not have been a worse starter at his position in the league. He is seriously that bad.... I wish they would cut him already...

First, his rookie year was not horrible year.. he was serviceable.. injury shortened though his learning curve... Last year he was a backup for most of the year not a starter so not sure you can compare him to other starters so your statement is a bit over the top.

That does not dismiss the Price (the consensus pick across the board once we were not the clock) has not been a major disappointment SO FAR... but lets not forget he is entering only this 3rd season with some of his first 2 years missed games with injury.. there are other players that have struggled in their first 2 years and then moved the bar... no way am i giving up just yet on a player just entering his 3rd year of playing especially a lineman. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 08:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First, his rookie year was not horrible year.. he was serviceable.. injury shortened though his learning curve... Last year he was a backup for most of the year not a starter so not sure you can compare him to other starters so your statement is a bit over the top.

That does not dismiss the Price (the consensus pick across the board once we were not the clock) has not been a major disappointment SO FAR... but lets not forget he is entering only this 3rd season with some of his first 2 years missed games with injury.. there are other players that have struggled in their first 2 years and then moved the bar... no way am i giving up just yet on a player just entering his  3rd year of playing especially a lineman. 

I thinks it's mutually agreed upon by most who follow the Bengals that the OL was pretty bad, last season.  For Billy Price to not even be able to win a starting role with that group, I think that says a lot.  I'm not rooting against him, as I was a huge proponent of drafting him.  I thought he was absolutely the right choice that year.  I'm still hoping that he can pull it all together, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 08:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First, his rookie year was not horrible year.. he was serviceable.. injury shortened though his learning curve... Last year he was a backup for most of the year not a starter so not sure you can compare him to other starters so your statement is a bit over the top.

That does not dismiss the Price (the consensus pick across the board once we were not the clock) has not been a major disappointment SO FAR... but lets not forget he is entering only this 3rd season with some of his first 2 years missed games with injury.. there are other players that have struggled in their first 2 years and then moved the bar... no way am i giving up just yet on a player just entering his 3rd year of playing especially a lineman. 

No he wasn’t. Not unless that service is being a matador or a subway turnstile...

He was and is horrendous.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 08:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thinks it's mutually agreed upon by most who follow the Bengals that the OL was pretty bad, last season.  For Billy Price to not even be able to win a starting role with that group, I think that says a lot.  I'm not rooting against him, as I was a huge proponent of drafting him.  I thought he was absolutely the right choice that year.  I'm still hoping that he can pull it all together, but I'm not holding my breath.

:andy:
Reply/Quote

It costs more to cut him now than to keep him. Or at least dead even. And he is our only cover at C for Hopkins.

You keep him around for another year and see if he improves when healthy. If not, draft another C/G type next year. 

Comparing Warford to Price is silly. Price is not the starter. That is Jordan and XSF. At RG, it is XSF. I bet XSF graded better in pass protection than Warford last year, Warford better run blocker.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 01:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It costs more to cut him now than to keep him. Or at least dead even. And he is our only cover at C for Hopkins.

You keep him around for another year and see if he improves when healthy. If not, draft another C/G type next year. 

Comparing Warford to Price is silly. Price is not the starter. That is Jordan and XSF. At RG, it is XSF. I bet XSF graded better in pass protection than Warford last year, Warford better run blocker.

Agree with IC85 here, not the time to cut Price even if he has sucked. Just have to hope he improves.
Reply/Quote
Can anyone tell me what one thing that Price can
Do.that.is even average?
He can't even Block the guy in front of him
Simply put the game is too big for Price
He has the tenacity of Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith
Show and the courage of Barney Fife.
If you have to wait for 3 years for a 1st RD to even be average
It's time to show him the door
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 01:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It costs more to cut him now than to keep him. Or at least dead even. And he is our only cover at C for Hopkins.

Exactly.  Price hasn't been good, but the way rookie 1st round contracts are structured, you don't gain anything by cutting them until year 4.  And, as you said, he's the backup C with no obvious potential replacement.  He also played better as a C as a rookie than he played last year at G.  Unless a CFA jumps up in TC and takes the #2 C job from him, there's no way you cut him.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 07:15 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Can anyone tell me what one thing that Price can
Do.that.is even average?
He can't even Block the guy in front of him
Simply put the game is too big for Price
He has the tenacity of Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith
Show and the courage of Barney Fife.
If you have to wait for 3 years for a 1st RD to even be average
It's time to show him the door

Sucks Price hasn't worked out... but we should be in a good position to draft Creed Humphrey next year. So I'm kinda glad he stayed for his Sr season. Cause we wouldn't have gotten him this year.
Reply/Quote