Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Legal tampering period
(03-13-2023, 11:04 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Just saw a clip on twitter from Adam Shefter's podcast, Patrick Peterson mentioned he'd be interested in playing for the Bengals. Was the first team he spoke on then added the Cowboys.

Not sure it's a great fit with CTB being penciled in the start, but it'd be hard to say no if he'd agree at a team friendly amount.

Not like you won't get extensive use out of 3 outside CBs. Not sure how Awuzie will look this year after tearing his ACL halfway through the season last year, and you also always need insurance against any other injuries that will inevitably happen throughout the year. Or for when a team spreads it out.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not like you won't get extensive use out of 3 outside CBs. Not sure how Awuzie will look this year after tearing his ACL halfway through the season last year, and you also always need insurance against any other injuries that will inevitably happen throughout the year. Or for when a team spreads it out.

Absolutely.  Additionally, I'm sure that some won't agree with this, but I also feel like the defense, specifically the young DBs would benefit greatly from the intangibles that someone like Peterson brings to the DB room.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 10:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Antonio Bryant (probably our biggest free agent bust ever. Maybe Waynes can top him now, not sure)

Nah, Waynes at least played in a game for the team. Bryant got $8M to be a camp body, until someone gets more and produces less than that, he's the king of our FA busts. Has to be.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not like you won't get extensive use out of 3 outside CBs. Not sure how Awuzie will look this year after tearing his ACL halfway through the season last year, and you also always need insurance against any other injuries that will inevitably happen throughout the year. Or for when a team spreads it out.

Correct. Someone like Peterson for insurance in the event Awuzie is not ready to go opening day is pretty nice. I wouldn't want to count on Peterson for 17 games next year but spot starting throughout for injury would be a huge luxury. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 12:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Correct. Someone like Peterson for insurance in the event Awuzie is not ready to go opening day is pretty nice. I wouldn't want to count on Peterson for 17 games next year but spot starting throughout for injury would be a huge luxury. 

Says here that the Bengals were one of three teams that Peterson mentioned that he'd like to play for, when asked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patrick-peterson-names-3-teams-he-s-interested-in-signing-with/ar-AA18yTjd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=efd63220af594573bda20233b1c9256e&ei=10

Quote:Asked if there are any teams he'd like to play for, Peterson named the Bengals, Cowboys and Eagles. 

"I really like what the Bengals have. They have a quarterback, they have a great establishment on the offensive side of the ball. I know Eli Apple is going to be an impending free agent coming up. I feel like I can come in there and help those guys," said Peterson. "You're going to need some quality cover guys that can kind of keep those guys in check."

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am interested to see other teams over pay for players, deals will be agreed upon today, but can't be official until 4 p.m. Wednesday.

I see Bates getting overpaid, which could help us secure a 2024 compensatory pick (3rd round).

We have a lot of guys who can be signed by us or other teams.

I don't see us signing outside players this week. I can see us waiting for cuts before we act as they do not count against compensatory picks.

Will Bengals trade anyone? I can see us trading Mixon. I see us cutting Brandon Wilson.

Bengals seem to rarely restructure deals, but maybe time for Katie to explore this type of option to create more cap space in 2023.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Didn't they sign Cappa like minutes into the period last year? Its unlikely we bring in as many outside FAs, but it isn't unprecedented for them to get a quick agreement.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 12:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am interested to see other teams over pay for players, deals will be agreed upon today, but can't be official until 4 p.m. Wednesday.

I see Bates getting overpaid, which could help us secure a 2024 compensatory pick (3rd round).

We have a lot of guys who can be signed by us or other teams.

I don't see us signing outside players this week. I can see us waiting for cuts before we act as they do not count against compensatory picks.

Will Bengals trade anyone? I can see us trading Mixon. I see us cutting Brandon Wilson.

Bengals seem to rarely restructure deals, but maybe time for Katie to explore this type of option to create more cap space in 2023.

Same here, I even stated in another thread that I want every team other than the Bengals to regret their mega-signings.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Yeah Peterson would make a ton of sense and he would get plenty of reps as a weapon on the TEs.  That's a need now that Dax is starting and Flowers may get a raise elsewhere, same with Eli too.  
Reply/Quote
WHERE ARE THE SIGNINGS!
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I'm going to retract saying he's not a good fit because of CTB. I had no idea he only made $4M last year. The FA list I'm looking at from ESPN lists him as the 3rd best CB so I assumed it'd cost $8M+. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: WHERE ARE THE SIGNINGS!

[Image: wheres-the-beef.gif]
Reply/Quote
Well, we re-signed S Michael Thomas, prior to the tampering period.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/13/bengals-resign-michael-thomas-free-agency/

Does that count in the count?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, we re-signed S Michael Thomas, prior to the tampering period.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/13/bengals-resign-michael-thomas-free-agency/

Does that count in the count?

Wasn't S. Michael Thomas the other guy from Miami Vice?
Reply/Quote
I'm refreshing this thread and waiting on the Bengals news.

I enjoy seeing it here first rather than monitoring a zillion Twitter accounts or checking out nfl.com or a similar site.
Reply/Quote
Eckler seeking a trade and Linndstrom getting 105M/yr from the Falcons per A.S.
Reply/Quote
TJ Edwards to the Bears 3 years 19.5m 12 mil guaranteed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:22 PM)phil413 Wrote: Eckler seeking a trade and Linndstrom getting 105M/yr from the Falcons per A.S.

The news coming in feeds my NFL fandom-soul.

Who Dey for impending Bengals news.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:22 PM)phil413 Wrote: Eckler seeking a trade and Linndstrom getting 105M/yr from the Falcons per A.S.

105M/yr?  That's gonna reset the market, for sure.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 105M/yr?  That's gonna reset the market, for sure.

105/5yr, sorry. Yeah we better draft well at guard if not for that typo.
Reply/Quote