Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Legal tampering period
(03-20-2023, 12:24 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, with Jonah's fate unknown (which kind of ties up Collins, too), we can't blow half our cap (almost) on one guy. Mixon will stay with Perine gone.

I would love to get on on Dalton Schultz at this price, but we probably won't with Jonah/Collins/Mixon unsettled.

Ideally, Duke, Zac, Brian, Frank, etc. talk Jonah into playing RT for a SB contender for one year, and then walk in FA to play LT (shades of Riley Reiff for DET in 2016 after they drafted Decker). Then, cut loose with Collins once he is cleared (sorry Collins fans, he is past his prime, and has had injuries pile up, and costs too much for a backup). 
Draft a guy like Spears in the 3rd or 4th, make Williams and Evans RB2 and RB3, and let go of Mixon. 
Use the money saved to extend Burrow, Higgins, and Wilson.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:29 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Ideally, Duke, Zac, Brian, Frank, etc. talk Jonah into playing RT for a SB contender for one year, and then walk in FA to play LT (shades of Riley Reiff for DET in 2016 after they drafted Decker)...

I don't think it's as easy as saying just move Jonah to RT.  He might not be able to play the RT spot effectively.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:38 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I don't think it's as easy as saying just move Jonah to RT.  He might not be able to play the RT spot effectively.

Not saying everyone is the same, but Riley Reiff played LT his first 4 years in Detroit, then moved to right for a year, then back to left for 4 years in Minnesota, and then once again back to RT here, in Chicago, and presumably in NE. Frank Pollack spoke about Jonah's trade request, and said he would love to coach him up at RT and hopes he changes his mind. We'll see what happens, but if that is how the cards fall into place, I think it could work.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:22 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Not at all surprising. We need CB depth as Apple and Flowers are still unsigned, TE is a huge hole, and DL you can never have too many bodies. When they say DL, do they mean Edge, DT, or both?

I am assuming either. 

We have 10 guys from last year under contract on the DL. There are no holes. So we are talking upgrades. 

On the edge, I have to think 4 out of 5 are safe. Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai for sure. And almost certainly Cam Sample. I could see Gunter getting upgraded. 

On the interior, I only feel 2 guys are safe, Reader and BJ Hill. We havd kep 3 NT types and 2 DT types the last couple years, and I think that continues. Tupou & Tufele are acceptable backups, but I could see either or both upgraded. Carter played better down the stretch, but was bad early. I doubt we give up on him after one year, though. The DT class is also pretty thin. We could carry 11 but that means a cut somewhere else. 
Reply/Quote
Dalton Schultz to the Texans 1y/9m.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Dalton Schultz to the Texans 1y/9m.

And Devin Singletary 1yr/$3.75M.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought Singletary was someone they’d have on their radar.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Bills sign Damien Harris.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I find no RBs surprising.

Well now there's peanuts left on the market in terms of RBs. Seems like we're going to be dependent on our rookie being able to step in on 3rd downs quickly this season.

Can't help but wonder if Perine opting for the Broncos threw them off their game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:42 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Not saying everyone is the same, but Riley Reiff played LT his first 4 years in Detroit, then moved to right for a year, then back to left for 4 years in Minnesota, and then once again back to RT here, in Chicago, and presumably in NE. Frank Pollack spoke about Jonah's trade request, and said he would love to coach him up at RT and hopes he changes his mind. We'll see what happens, but if that is how the cards fall into place, I think it could work.

If Jonah decides to stay, he will not only have Pollack tutoring him to play the right side, but I imagine he could get as much time with the greatest RT to ever play the game to work with him extensively. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 09:35 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Bills sign Damien Harris.

I wonder if this means they don't want Robinson or Gibbs in the draft? Some mocks have the Bills taking a RB in round 1. Maybe they want to roll with Cook/Harris/Hines and draft another posiition of need.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 08:58 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I wonder if this means they don't want Robinson or Gibbs in the draft? Some mocks have the Bills taking a RB in round 1. Maybe they want to roll with Cook/Harris/Hines and draft another posiition of need.

Not sure exactly what it means, but it's looking like the Bengals painted themselves into a corner by letting Perine get away.  Now it appears that the Bengals seem RB "needy", and are more likely to draft one higher than if they already had a complete RB room.  I just can't imagine the riding out the Joe Mixon contract, especially as it's looking like his production has peaked.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 09:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure exactly what it means, but it's looking like the Bengals painted themselves into a corner by letting Perine get away.  Now it appears that the Bengals seem RB "needy", and are more likely to draft one higher than if they already had a complete RB room.  I just can't imagine the riding out the Joe Mixon contract, especially as it's looking like his production has peaked.

Agreed about the perception we're a RB needy team heading into the draft. I also think we need a TE. Teams might have a clear indication who we are targeting based on how the draft falls: RB and TE are likely early round picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 01:08 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Well now there's peanuts left on the market in terms of RBs. Seems like we're going to be dependent on our rookie being able to step in on 3rd downs quickly this season.

Can't help but wonder if Perine opting for the Broncos threw them off their game.

I think it's less likely they'll cut Mixon too now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't think Perine leaving thee them off their game. I just think we have made an organizational decision not to spend a lot on:

1) Backups generally
2) RB position in particular

The Mixon $$ is sunk, unless we walk into Bijan in Rd1. We didn't want to spend a lot on a backup RB on top of it. I think we are fairly comfortable with Trayveon Williams + a pick at RB2.

Jonah, Collins, & Mixon are the best candidates to let go to save cap space as we extend Higgins, L. Wilson, and possibly others (Reader, Chido, Boyd). But those extensions are gonna hit next year. I din't see us letting guys walk unless we feel comfortable about have replacements in hand (Hill for Bates) or the ability to sign guys in FA (Scott for Bell).
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 09:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's less likely they'll cut Mixon too now.

Not only that, but I don't see Joe taking a pay cut now. He has no reason to. I don't think the team wants to roll into the draft with only Williams and Evans in the RB room. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 01:36 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Not only that, but I don't see Joe taking a pay cut now. He has no reason to. I don't think the team wants to roll into the draft with only Williams and Evans in the RB room. 

Pretty sure they're gonna double dip at RB and TE in the draft. I have a feeling they will take a RB in the 2nd and cut Mixon post june 1st. And they'll draft another later on.
Reply/Quote
Jets trade WR Moore and a 3rd to Cleveland for pick number #42.

Jets now have 13, 42, & 43. Getting picks for a Rodgers deal, no doubt.

But I can dream of 42 or 43 for Jonah, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 05:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Jets trade WR Moore and a 3rd to Cleveland for pick number #42.

I read an ESPN article where two of the analysts said the Browns improved the most via their free-agency signings (and three picked Miami, 2 picked the Bears, 1 picked the Jets, with the rest of the analysts picking New England, Dallas, Carolina, and Broncos ) Although I guess Cleveland has to do it through free-agency after they traded so many of their draft picks.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35872038/nfl-free-agency-2023-best-worst-deals-signings-moves-most-improved-teams
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 05:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Jets trade WR Moore and a 3rd to Cleveland for pick number #42.

It is a good dream, hope it comes true.
Reply/Quote