Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Let’s pump the brakes on McPherson
(10-12-2021, 12:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: We Bungled the game away against the Pack and the refs gifted the Rats the game with uncalled holds and an obvious fumble called down.

Let's be honest with ourselves. This team is 3rd place at best. They will be lucky to not end up in the basement by the end of it all. The squeelers are back on track.. I think the league is forced to help minority QBs. This is the 3rd time the rats were down big now and the Refs get then right back in it...
A 49 yard field goal is no gimme. A 57 yarder is about a 30% chance? I'm not down on the kid yet.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
(10-12-2021, 12:44 AM)Tony Wrote: Let's be honest with ourselves. This team is 3rd place at best. They will be lucky to not end up in the basement by the end of it all. The squeelers are back on track.. I think the league is forced to help minority QBs. This is the 3rd time the rats were down big now and the Refs get then right back in it...

[Image: 7cbe71fc4a5afda7b1f3de48988a10c8.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(10-12-2021, 12:44 AM)Tony Wrote: Let's be honest with ourselves. This team is 3rd place at best. They will be lucky to not end up in the basement by the end of it all. The squeelers are back on track.. I think the league is forced to help minority QBs. This is the 3rd time the rats were down big now and the Refs get then right back in it...

I disagree that the league has the refs aiding QBs based on such considerations. That said, some teams ARE favored by the refs especially at their home stadium and the Rats are definitely one - something that predates Lamar Jackson. 

The Rats have had a lot of good luck so far this season. Without a 100% unforced fumble by the Chiefs RB they lose to KC. Without the BAD miss by the refs on delay of game they lose to Detroit and tonight if the Colts made even one of an XP, a 2 Pt conversion and 2 FG tries they lose this one too. They also have not faced any good defenses yet - it will be interesting when they do. 

Now we just need a reason the refs help the Browns and our role as the martyrs of the AFC North will be complete. 

Or we could trade Burrow for Watson and waltz to the SB. 
A 49-yarder is basically a 50 yarder, so treating it as if something missed at 49 is inexcusable but anything 50+ is given more leeway is unfair.

With that said, if the attitude is going to be to bash McPherson for missing a kick, I expect this fan base to bash Burrow for every interception, any player fumbling, a receiver dropping a ball, etc.

Keep in mind that had Mason Crosby not missed his XP and the first missed FG, the Bengals would have been down by 4 right at the end of the game. The fact the Bengals were even on the verge of winning is because of missed kicks from the other team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-12-2021, 09:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: A 49-yarder is basically a 50 yarder, so treating it as if something missed at 49 is inexcusable but anything 50+ is given more leeway is unfair.

With that said, if the attitude is going to be to bash McPherson for missing a kick, I expect this fan base to bash Burrow for every interception, any player fumbling, a receiver dropping a ball, etc.

Keep in mind that had Mason Crosby not missed his XP and the first missed FG, the Bengals would have been down by 4 right at the end of the game. The fact the Bengals were even on the verge of winning is because of missed kicks from the other team.

Yeah we aren't in a position to complain about luck this season.  We were lucky we had a single shot to win on Sunday and yet we got to blow it multiple times. 

We looked a gift horse in the arse, so to speak. 
Evan MissPhereson...too soon? Big Grin
(10-12-2021, 12:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right? I mean, holy shit. I’m upset with McPherson, too, but “done with him?” Or “time to look for a replacement?”

[Image: giphy.gif]

The kid missed the one where he put it literally right above the upright flag because he put too much leg into it. The Colts kicker just missed a 47 yarder to win the  game against Baltimore. It was a terrible week for kickers.

Show me a kicker that literally never misses. I’ll wait.

Seriously. Dude is a ROOKIE. I like how rookie QBs and WRs and every other position is allowed to make mistakes because they're rookies, but a rookie kicker? Nope. Dude, either makes every single FG or he's shown the streets. If a guy like Tony were in charge, the roster would be turned over so much, that not only would we have 0 wins, we'd probably be paying more money to people who are no longer on the team than who are.

BTW, am I the only one loving the fact that on kickoffs, McPherson is routinely getting touchbacks?
(10-12-2021, 10:14 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Evan MissPhereson...too soon? Big Grin

I'll take it over the SUPREMELY STUPID "Legs Benedict" nickname which, I believe, is the reason for Evan's misses. STop using that nickname and I guarantee he'll never miss another kick again; well, at least until he misses another kick that is.
In all fairness, the McPherson hype was, in my eyes, a fun way to jokingly enjoy what was a boring and troubling preseason. Burrow didn't play and looked rattled, Chase was dropping everything, and so on. The McPherson hype seemed legit but more tongue in cheek. We are fired up over a kicker. Don't take it too seriously.
The more I think about it the more I want Youbghoe Koo.
We Brake for No One
Doug Pelfrey weighs in:

"I'm not going to bother him. He's doing great. I was just telling somebody the other day that he's going to break every record that me and Jim and Shayne set," Pelfrey says.  "He's already hit some from 50 and he's got two winners. He's going to be one of the greats.

"The thing about Evan is that everyone expected him to make those kicks. That's the blessing and the curse," Pelfrey says. "How cool would that have been? They would have had four wins and he would have won three of them."

Like all kickers of all shoe sizes, Pelfrey had to bounce back from a miss. His most visible clutch kick would have been in Shula Bowl II in 1995 at Riverfront, the second meeting between Bengals head coach Dave Shula and his father, legendary Dolphins head coach Don Shula, in an encore of North America's first major sports event coached by father and son.

With eight seconds left, Pelfrey could have put it into overtime on a 45-yarder he shoved left and then out of his head.

"Hooked it," Pelfrey says. "Breech helped me with that. He was in my ear like a swing coach in golf. When you make it to the NFL level like Evan, 99 out of 100 times there's nothing wrong with his technique. I would say it's what's going on between your ears. You stay positive. You stay upbeat. He's got great people around him. When you start listening to everybody else, you get in trouble."

Simmons is going to change not a thing. Especially when he watched the Pelfrey-like veteran Crosby miss four kicks on the other side.

"He'll learn from it. He'll grow from it and he'll be fine. I don't worry about him one bit," Simmons says of his prized rookie. "I think the wind was a little bit different up above than maybe what we felt down below. It is what it is. It was the same for both sides."

"It depends on where the wind is coming from. If it's from the north or south. It depends a little on that," Simmons says. "Sometimes it's hard to know which way the wind is blowing, especially when you can't feel it. You're used to feeling the wind. When you don't feel a lot down on the field, it's different what was actually happening up above. I think the ball got affected more on top of the upright than it did down on the field."

Pelfrey sees more of those in McPherson's future.

"He's got the leg. The Bengals are on an uptick. They've got three wins. He's got a coach that believes in him. He's got a coach in Darrin that knows more about kicking than most NFL special teams coaches," Pelfrey says. "He's got a great long snapper in Clark Harris and a great holder in Kevin Huber. The fans are with him."

Don't underestimate the snapper and the holder. When Pelfrey had Greg Truitt snapping to Lee Johnson holding, he hit 81 percent of his kicks. Starting when Truitt blew out his knee in 1998, Johnson's last year with the Bengals, Pelfrey hit 68 percent of his kicks in '98 and '99 and he was out of the league in 2000.

"I was playing ring around the rosy with different holders and snappers and two years later you were talking to somebody bigger and better," Pelfrey says.

But no one as clutch. Although he thinks McPherson is already on his way.

"He'll probably make his next 20 kicks," Pelfrey says. "No problem for him."
(10-12-2021, 11:28 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Seriously. Dude is a ROOKIE. I like how rookie QBs and WRs and every other position is allowed to make mistakes because they're rookies, but a rookie kicker? Nope. Dude, either makes every single FG or he's shown the streets. If a guy like Tony were in charge, the roster would be turned over so much, that not only would we have 0 wins, we'd probably be paying more money to people who are no longer on the team than who are.

BTW, am I the only one loving the fact that on kickoffs, McPherson is routinely getting touchbacks?

For 1 I'm just a fan with an opinion. You could say that about anyone. 2, I seriously doubt a kicker is gonna make that much difference either way. 3, comparing a QB or WR to a kicker is asinine.. A kicker has 1 job, make the kick. QBs and Wrs have to learn playbooks,  schemes, how to Read a defense... It's not even close to the same... Just make the damn kick, and he  shanked 2.. No excuses..
(10-13-2021, 05:54 PM)Tony Wrote: For 1 I'm just a fan with an opinion. You could say that about anyone. 2, I seriously doubt a kicker is gonna make that much difference either way. 3, comparing a QB or WR to a kicker is asinine.. A kicker has 1 job, make the kick. QBs and Wrs have to learn playbooks,  schemes, how to Read a defense... It's not even close to the same... Just make the damn kick, and he  shanked 2.. No excuses..

Come on Tony, read the excerpts I posted a few posts back from Pelfrey, who WAS a kicker!

I doubt anyone in this forum was a college kicker, let alone an NFL one.

It's not as simple as you are making it.
There were 6 misses in that game, 4 by a veteran kicker!!
(10-13-2021, 06:05 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Come on Tony, read the excerpts I posted a few posts back from Pelfrey, who WAS a kicker!

I doubt anyone in this forum was a college kicker, let alone an NFL one.

It's not as simple as you are making it.

I'm over it honestly,  just really wanted that one. So close to being a top level team. Literally inches away and that was on McPherson... Whatever , he just got to much hype... I will say, missing 3 out of his last 4 is worrisome... I wander what his percentage is? 50-60%?
(10-13-2021, 06:13 PM)Tony Wrote: I'm over it honestly,  just really wanted that one. So close to being a top level team. Literally inches away and that was on McPherson... Whatever , he just got to much hype... I will say, missing 3 out of his last 4 is worrisome... I wander what his percentage is? 50-60%?

After 5 games as a rookie, I'm not getting my panties in a wad. . . WAIT . . I don't wear panties, but in today's world I guess it doesn't matter.  Right Freddy T?
(10-13-2021, 07:00 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: After 5 games as a rookie, I'm not getting my panties in a wad. . . WAIT . . I don't wear panties, but in today's world I guess it doesn't matter.  Right Freddy T?

Ya, I may have been to rough on him.... No one is perfect... Sometimes my Fandom gets in the way of reality I guess.. I've always took football and the Bengals to serious.. I guess it's the 1 think I have from childhood on that made me happy or whatever , even through all the losing..