Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let talk Tackles
Well with not much new on here these days I was thinking about tackles. I really like what we have as backup tackle is Adenji and Big Fred. I feel once Adenji gets a couple years in an nfl weight room he has some serious potential. You cant teach great feet and he has them. Our big issue as we all know is at starting rt. I as well as most like Sewell at rt. Not big on moving Jonah there as he is a pass blocker and not a run blocker. The other name that comes up is Slater. I do like him as a tackle but not at all as a rt. He is a pass blocker and not a run blocker just like Jonah. We could always look at adding Moton in fa but if we cant land him I feel a guy like Mayfield would be a better fit at rt than Slater. What are everyones feelings on our backup tackles and a starting rt if we cant land Moton?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with a lot of what you said. The only free agent tackle I like is Moton because he’s 26 and talented. Tackles like Trent Williams who’s 32 don’t make sense for a rebuilding team. Slater’s size makes me nervous at only 6’3 , I prefer Sewell but I’m not an expert. If we sign Thuney or Scherff at guard and draft either Slater or Sewell we can cut Hart and have Johnson and Adenji as cheaper backup options. Need to protect the franchise at all costs.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I agree with a lot of what you said. The only free agent tackle I like is Moton because he’s 26 and talented. Tackles like Trent Williams who’s  32 don’t make sense for a rebuilding team. Slater’s size makes me nervous at only  6’3 , I prefer Sewell but I’m not an expert. If we sign Thuney or Scherff at guard and draft either Slater or Sewell we can cut Hart and have Johnson and Adenji as cheaper backup options. Need to protect the franchise at all costs.

If Sewell isn't there, move back a few spots, get another 2nd rounder and take Darrisaw. He is a monster of a tackle and would be a nice fit. 

Moton isn't going to be on the market, a talented 26 year old left tackle, I can't picture Carolina letting him leave. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If Sewell isn't there, move back a few spots, get another 2nd rounder and take Darrisaw. He is a monster of a tackle and would be a nice fit. 

Moton isn't going to be on the market, a talented 26 year old left tackle, I can't picture Carolina letting him leave. 

Taylor Moton is on the market he is an unrestricted free agent and will be able to hear offers from any team in March (likely before).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I've always been a huge fan of this guy ever since we brought him in as a UDFA TE:

[Image: 20200920pdSteelers01-1601311839.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Taylor Moton is on the market he is an unrestricted free agent and will be able to hear offers from any team in March (likely before).

The Panthers aren't going to tag him? Or offer him all kinds of $$$ before the March window opens?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Well with not much new on here these days I was thinking about tackles. I really like what we have as backup tackle is Adenji and Big Fred. I feel once Adenji gets a couple years in an nfl weight room he has some serious potential. You cant teach great feet and he has them. Our big issue as we all know is at starting rt. I as well as most like Sewell at rt. Not big on moving Jonah there as he is a pass blocker and not a run blocker. The other name that comes up is Slater. I do like him as a tackle but not at all as a rt. He is a pass blocker and not a run blocker just like Jonah. We could always look at adding Moton in fa but if we cant land him I feel a guy like Mayfield would be a better fit at rt than Slater. What are everyones feelings on our backup tackles and a starting rt if we cant land Moton?

Bobby Hart is the 2nd highest rated OL on the team with a 66.3 PFF grade, which is average starter quality.  C and both G positions are bigger areas of concern, especially with Hopkins having a good chance of needing to be PUP'd to start the year.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The Panthers aren't going to tag him? Or offer him all kinds of $$$ before the March window opens?

Tag for tackles are gonna be what 19 or 20m? High end right tackles go for 14 or 15? Thry could offer him alot but a team could outbid them say Bengals 16m. Carolina is in a bad position with 80% of their offense going to be free agents and limited cap space. Both starting tackles and both starting guards are free agents and that's just the offensive line.

Daryl Williams will also be in the market at Right Tackle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Tag for tackles are gonna be what 19 or 20m? High end right tackles go for 14 or 15? Thry could offer him alot but a team could outbid them say Bengals 16m. Carolina is in a bad position with 80% of their offense going to be free agents and limited cap space. Both starting tackles and both starting guards are free agents and that's just the offensive line.

That is ugly and explains why they haven't made a move yet. Things I've been reading where about how they can't afford to let him go and such. Not very often that high end LT's in their prime hit free agency. Of course if the bidding war starts, have to hope he doesn't get to be too rich for Mike's liking...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Well with not much new on here these days I was thinking about tackles. I really like what we have as backup tackle is Adenji and Big Fred. I feel once Adenji gets a couple years in an nfl weight room he has some serious potential. You cant teach great feet and he has them. Our big issue as we all know is at starting rt. I as well as most like Sewell at rt. Not big on moving Jonah there as he is a pass blocker and not a run blocker. The other name that comes up is Slater. I do like him as a tackle but not at all as a rt. He is a pass blocker and not a run blocker just like Jonah. We could always look at adding Moton in fa but if we cant land him I feel a guy like Mayfield would be a better fit at rt than Slater. What are everyones feelings on our backup tackles and a starting rt if we cant land Moton?

Peneii Sewell. There is a lot of good lineman out there but not many are as good against the run and the pass.
I would also think about Walker Little in 3rd or 4th if he falls because of past knee injury.
Reply/Quote
We need a Tackles who can play on an island. While Hart looked better later in the season that coincided with the offense changing both to run more and we started seeing Sample lined up inline at TE on Hart's side a lot. Having Tackles who cannot play on an island is forcing us to keep the TE and sometimes the RB as well in to block.

Now Jonah can play on an island at least for pass protection. Maybe the right move is to get a legit RT who does not need TE or RB help all the time and kick Hart inside to Guard?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 06:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: We need a Tackles who can play on an island. While Hart looked better later in the season that coincided with the offense changing both to run more and we started seeing Sample lined up inline at TE on Hart's side a lot. Having Tackles who cannot play on an island is forcing us to keep the TE and sometimes the RB as well in to block.

Now Jonah can play on an island at least for pass protection. Maybe the right move is to get a legit RT who does not need TE or RB help all the time and kick Hart inside to Guard?

Naw, how many more years are we going to keep making excuses for Bobby Hart?  The "he's young" line has run it's course, as he's a vested veteran, and still standing there looking stupid, blocking air, when rushers take the inside path.

As for Jonah Williams?  I'm not sold, he's injury prone, and average when he's healthy.  Move him into Guard, let him get healthy, he can kick out to Tackle when called upon.  This team needs a pair of Tackles, draft Sewell and sign a bona fide RT.  Re-sign Spain to bridge the gap while the man they draft, develops.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sewell is as good as a tackle prospect in years. But I would pass on him. Why? He is 20. Came from a tiny HS in Utah. As a true freshman, he missed 6 games with ankle injuries. He was all-world but against a terrible conference the next year. He took 2020 off. He is raw. 1.5 years of experience at the college level. Orlando Pace played at better HS, 3 full years at OSU and it still took him 3 years to reach his 1st pro bowl. Burrow can’t wait on him!

I really like Trent Williams and would sign him in a minute. He’ll age well. Kick Johan to LG (he has missed 22 of 32 games plus nearly 2 training camps - too much development time for a LT). Go with Price/Hopkins with maybe a day 3 flyer on a center. Kick Hart to RG (he SCREAMS RG - Bobbie 2.0). Sign him to a team friendly extension to make it work. Draft a plug-and-play RT Day 2.

I want Kyle Pitts Day 1. The importance of elite TE’s is so obvious looking around the league.

As for the defense, let the young guys grow and hope health happens for once.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always been a huge fan of this guy ever since we brought him in as a UDFA TE:

I don't trust any Steelers OL. They're all only any good because they are allowed to nonstop hold all game long with very-little-to-no consequences.

(01-31-2021, 04:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bobby Hart is the 2nd highest rated OL on the team with a 66.3 PFF grade, which is average starter quality.  C and both G positions are bigger areas of concern, especially with Hopkins having a good chance of needing to be PUP'd to start the year.

PFF is wrong.

(01-31-2021, 04:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Tag for tackles are gonna be what 19 or 20m? High end right tackles go for 14 or 15? Thry could offer him alot but a team could outbid them say Bengals 16m. Carolina is in a bad position with 80% of their offense going to be free agents and limited cap space. Both starting tackles and both starting guards are free agents and that's just the offensive line.

OL gets a group franchise tag number, not position separate ones.

So in 2020, the OL franchise tag number was $14.78m, which is an increase from $14.07m in 2019. So it'll likely be somewhere around $15.5m for it in 2021.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If Sewell isn't there, move back a few spots, get another 2nd rounder and take Darrisaw. He is a monster of a tackle and would be a nice fit. 

They may not have a choice. It could be either him or Curtis Samuel.

Moton is a RT.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Naw, how many more years are we going to keep making excuses for Bobby Hart?  The "he's young" line has run it's course, as he's a vested veteran, and still standing there looking stupid, blocking air, when rushers take the inside path.

As for Jonah Williams?  I'm not sold, he's injury prone, and average when he's healthy.  Move him into Guard, let him get healthy, he can kick out to Tackle when called upon.  This team needs a pair of Tackles, draft Sewell and sign a bona fide RT.  Re-sign Spain to bridge the gap while the man they draft, develops.

It seems forever ? It's tiring hearing people try to sugar coat Hart's poor play. He's a backup at absolute best and he'll make way to much money for that. Cut him !

I won't quit arguing we need some major upgrades on the Oline, Hart included.
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest. Bobby Hart has improved since he was signed here.

But it's not enough to be higher than a slightly less than average starting tackle. His 66 grade was 40th for tackles.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 08:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't trust any Steelers OL. They're all only any good because they are allowed to nonstop hold all game long with very-little-to-no consequences.

I like him. The name on the back of his helmet is a big reason why. He's a leader
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I wasn't covering for Hart. I stated flat out he needs a TE or RB helping him to be effective and that is definitely not the standard.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 09:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: I wasn't covering for Hart. I stated flat out he needs a TE or RB helping him to be effective and that is definitely not the standard.

I didn't mean to sound like I was dogging on you, or your personal opinion of the situation.  It just struck me while reading your post that for the past 3 seasons, when it's already in the tank, Hart and a few other shitty OL seem to all of a sudden "come to life".  I was just wanting to cement the sentiment that Hart's time for excuses is done, and he needs to be replaced by a competent NFL Tackle.

The previously mentioned got me to thinking about LT as well, and I realized that Jonah Williams hasn't exactly been "Superstar" quality, even when he has been healthy.  I'm beginning to think that he's just getting to benefit from looking good on a tremendous college team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote