Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
Link
Nice, ringing endorsement from your HC. But to counter his point, so was the following players:

James Harrison
Kurt Warner
Arian Foster
Rod Smith
Tony Richardson
Jason Peters
Cameron Wake
Alex Boone
Danny Amendola
Danny Woodhead
Brandon Marshall
Adam Theilen

I get what he's saying, but he did have a reception on his lone target. I don't get why he has throw shade at him like this.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really?
I wonder how many times Core has to drop it before they will give Tate another chance. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Preseason play doesn't seem to predict anything during the season for this team.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it disgusted me hearing this,ty for showing a list because even fans say this bs that no team wants our ps guys. Guy could of been a 4th rounder but theres just too many receivers to be had every year. He was the man at fsu.
Reply/Quote
Marvins done this before and its mainly with rooks. Yet he loves him some sucky players that can mess up all they want. Michael johnson, v rey,nickerson, erickson on returning when you got better on the team, chris crocker , leon hall , brandon tate,geathers.
Reply/Quote
I will say that 40 time doesn't seem to big that big of a factor in making a good WR in the NFL.

Look at a guy like John Ross.
Reply/Quote
Hey Marvin, Hardy Nickerson was PS for a reason too, yet you keep putting him out there over your third round pick. What’s the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I will say that 40 time doesn't seem to big that big of a factor in making a good WR in the NFL.

You are ragging on John Ross pretty hard. He has only one less TD than Tyler Boyd, making him third on the team in TD receptions.
Tyreek Hill likely would have gone in first round if not for his off-field issues, and he only put up 593-6 in his first season. This is essentially John Ross’s first season too. Give the kid at least a full season of games before you start crucifying him, damn.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I will say that 40 time doesn't seem to big that big of a factor in making a good WR in the NFL.

I think Ross even said, his 40 time means nothing when the pads go on and they start jamming .
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You are ragging on John Ross pretty hard. He has only one less TD than Tyler Boyd, making him third on the team in TD receptions.
Tyreek Hill likely would have gone in first round if not for his off-field issues, and he only put up 593-6 in his first season. This is essentially John Ross’s first season too. Give the kid at least a full season of games before you start crucifying him, damn.

He has 11 catches on the year for 145 yards.

He was targeted 29 times. Yes, 11 catches in 29 targets. That's a 37.9% catch rate.

Boyd has 56 receptions and a 69.1% catch rate.

I love the notion that if a guy doesn't get used much in their rookie year that they are a rookie in Year 2 also.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He has 11 catches on the year for 145 yards.

He was targeted 29 times. Yes, 11 catches in 29 targets. That's a 37.9% catch rate.

Boyd has 56 receptions and a 69.1% catch rate.

I love the notion that if a guy doesn't get used much in their rookie year that they are a rookie in Year 2 also.

A "target" is not always a true indicator of "catchable ball." Sure, there are times where Ross could and should have caught the ball, but not every target in the 29 he's had have been catchable balls. And also, Boyd is always going to have a (much) higher catch rate than Ross as long as they keep throwing short passes to Boyd and deep passes to Ross. It's known that the deeper routes you run, the less likely the ball will be caught.

The Bengals need to start using Ross in that short-to-mid range on the field to cater to his YAC ability. They keep trying to send him deep too often and it's not working out (yet).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A "target" is not always a true indicator of "catchable ball." Sure, there are times where Ross could and should have caught the ball, but not every target in the 29 he's had have been catchable balls. And also, Boyd is always going to have a (much) higher catch rate than Ross as long as they keep throwing short passes to Boyd and deep passes to Ross. It's known that the deeper routes you run, the less likely the ball will be caught.

The Bengals need to start using Ross in that short-to-mid range on the field to cater to his YAC ability. They keep trying to send him deep too often and it's not working out (yet).

I agree with your 2nd assertion. It's going to be hard to ever get a 5 foot 11 guy open deep as he's not AJ Green and his speed doesn't just blow by guys.

They do need to use him short more.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 12:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Link
Nice, ringing endorsement from your HC. But to counter his point, so was the following players:

James Harrison
Kurt Warner
Arian Foster
Rod Smith
Tony Richardson
Jason Peters
Cameron Wake
Alex Boone
Danny Amendola
Danny Woodhead
Brandon Marshall
Adam Theilen

I get what he's saying, but he did have a reception on his lone target. I don't get why he has throw shade at him like this.

Do you have a list of practice squad players called up that were terrible? I’m guessing it’s a little longer than the one above.

Having said that I think it would be in their interest to give him a shot. Ross hasn’t been great or reliable. Malone’s not that good and core has been really bad.
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a complete a$$hole. This is his way of telling everybody that they know nothing and he knows everything because he sees it every day.

So let me get this straight. The guy makes a catch (Tate) on the first possession of the game, albeit a yard short of the marker, and you basically bench him the rest of the game. Meanwhile, you send somebody out there in Core that has a history of dropping balls.

Great idea Marv! I was one of the last in your corner and I'm done with you like most other logical people on this board now. Your arrogance in defending this, in addition to your history of consistently getting out-coached, finally put me over the edge.

I'm sure the team liked the lesson you gave to Auden Tate. They are now 5-5 and you are a HUGE part of that. Cody freaking Core on the field with the game on the line. Yep, he ran past the sticks but did what he's always does. If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten - man it's like groundhog day around here.

I'm sure Joe Mixon loved that last play also as he watched from the sideline.

Marv is a bafoon. Can't get him out of here fast enough!
Reply/Quote
Ask Merv "the reason" Core, Redmond, and Nickerson keep getting playing time ?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:26 PM)motoarch Wrote: Do you have a list of practice squad players called up that were terrible?  I’m guessing it’s a little longer than the one above.

Having said that I think it would be in their interest to give him a shot.  Ross hasn’t been great or reliable.  Malone’s not that good and core has been really bad.

To many to list, I am sure. So I guess he's playing it safe? Why take a risk, right? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ask Merv "the reason" Core, Redmond, and Nickerson keep getting playing time ?

I was actually somewhat optimistic about Redmond coming into the year given he played rather solidly toward the end of last year from what I recall. But I also thought Pollack would have really groomed him to be a mauler in the run game, which hasn't been the case. Hopefully, the Bengals address OL, LB, and receiver well enough that we don't have to see Core, Redmond, or Nickerson on the team next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:34 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: To many to list, I am sure. So I guess he's playing it safe? Why take a risk, right? 

I was being a jerk but I actually do agree with you. The guy looks promising and the opportunity is now while others are hurt.
Reply/Quote
Don't forgot, old Merv a few years back also noted that the coaches don't have time to teach during the season.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 02:49 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Don't forgot, old Merv a few years back also noted that the coaches don't have time to teach during the season.

Can't forget that in-game adjustments are more journalist jargon than anything  Whatever

Marv is a clueless nitwit and a part of him knows it. All these snippy quotes to the media show some frustration and to me, that says at least a part of him knows he's in over his head.

Here's hoping Marv quits while he's behind 
Reply/Quote