Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
(11-20-2018, 08:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In Marvins defense, even the good HCs let Tate clear waivers.

How often does someone get took off a teams ps? It dont happen often, they werent with the team all camp. They like their own guys thats been studying their plays that they studied up on. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yes, even if it is cut out of context.

No one has said Tate was unstoppable. Hell, I was one of the very few ones knocking on the Tate hype in preseason.

A drop in garbage time verses a drop on 4th down that ended the Bengals chances to tie or to win aren't comparable.

In case you and Marvin havn't noticed, the team is on a downslide going 1-4, and the offense is getting worse. Mix things up, try something else, use Drickell at times, Gio as a receiver, just do something different. But least of all don't use Core on 60some% of snaps.

Core should not play another offensive snap.  And I agree with the cut him school of thought.  If you're being paid to be a receiver and you can't catch, GTFO.  It's Dan Coates all over again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:21 PM)McC Wrote: Core should not play another offensive snap.  And I agree with the cut him school of thought.  If you're being paid to be a receiver and you can't catch, GTFO.  It's Dan Coates all over again.

I just love how marvin dogged out tate in the press conference to justify using core who lost us the game because hes ass. No words about core, hes been here 3 years therefore he wont get picked on. Only first and 2nd year guys get disciplined by merv. 
Reply/Quote
I'm more impressed that Tate made a reaching catch with Jimmy Smith covering him and almost got the 1st than I am with Core being shut out by Baltimore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm more impressed that Tate made a reaching catch with Jimmy Smith covering him and almost got the 1st than I am with Core being shut out by shut out by Baltimore.

Was it jimmy smith? Wow that makes it even worse benching him,it was so close i thought he made it just like he did. Seriously marvins stupidity made me feel like crying for a couple days. Just horrible,he is thee problem. Him and mike and lazor. Bafoons
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:12 PM)McC Wrote: Your argument falls flat on its face due to the fact that Marvin is indefensible.

Even when the other 31 HCs let Tate slide by them?  Isn't Tate one of those guys Bill Belliache is going to turn into an all pro?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:20 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: How often does someone get took off a teams ps? It dont happen often, they werent with the team all camp. They like their own guys thats been studying their plays that they studied up on. 

So Tate is a no-brainer contributor to the point where we preemptively crucify Marvin for not playing him BUT we also understand how every other NFL personnel department could have absolutely no clue Tate is worth a spot on their roster?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: “He didn’t get the depth (on the route). (He ran) short of the design of the route. Last week, he dropped a ball in his one opportunity. We just have to keep going. Auden is a young player. He has some ability, and hopefully he will make some plays if he continues to get an opportunity down the stretch for us.” - Marvin

So Tate was benched for rest of game because he apparently ran his route a bit short, though he made the catch.

Core drops the game ender, so we will see how much time Core will get this next game. Because if he does get a lot of offensive snaps, then Marvin and others value a game ending dropped ball more than a catch on a route ran short on the very first series. *mind-blown*

Nothing would surprise me from these bums. We keep running the worst RG in the NFL out there.  How long did they keep Ogbuehi out there ?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So Tate is a no-brainer contributor to the point where we preemptively crucify Marvin for not playing him BUT we also understand how every other NFL personnel department could have absolutely no clue Tate is worth a spot on their roster?

Idk what youre trying to say but to me yeah it pissed me off again just like last year. Marvins decisions piss me off and upset me because he is an idiot. And how does anyone justify marvins decisions when we havnt won a playoff game,we cant beat pitt,or even compete with top teams. Tate was a 6th rounder, he could of been 4th but he had a slow 40 so that scares teams away. If he was fast i bet hes a 1st or 2nd rounder with his size. 

Teams pass up on guys all the time, brady was a 6th rounder and only got in the game because of injury. Why didnt the genius coach have him starting from day 1? Because they go with the vets and guys they know what they can do most the time. Why even have a practice squad if they all just suck. But go ahead and defend grandpa merv and his winning traditions.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Nothing would surprise me from these bums. We keep running the worst RG in the NFL out there.  How long did they keep Ogbuehi out there ?

Ha exactly and how long did we have bodine on skates out there when all along we had a better option right on the damn team!! Merv is a real great talent evaluator i tell ya.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin never said he never promotes players from the practice squad.  So nothing about this "counters" what Marvin said.

Who is the best player Marvin has refused to promote from practice squad in his 16 years as head coach?

Andrew Hawkins.

And it obviously does. If you're going to say that "His involvement in the offense is what it is. It’s a guy whose been on the practice squad for a reason. OK? So, he’s been a free agent for all 32 to take a look at. You see what I’m saying? So. Yeah. It is what it is. Not many times you’re going to take a guy off the practice squad and go win an NFL game with.” but start Hardy Nickerson who has been dreadful and has ALSO come off the practice squad is a little confusing there.

Yes. Nickerson only started in 2 games in 2017. And no one is arguing that Tate should start. We're arguing he should be given opportunities like Core has been given.
Difference is, Core has dropped critical passes. Yes, the 4th down comes to mind, but remember his drops in Pittsburgh? Or how abysmal he was in 2017?

Nickerson was brought back from the PS three separate times and still played 158 snaps on defense and 271 on special teams.
Nickerson had 40 less snaps on defense than Kevin Minter after being put on the practice squad three times in 2017

Auden Tate has 8 snaps all year long.

So yeah. Think using Nickerson, a guy who was promoted from the PS three separate times, played that many games/snaps, and STARTED in two games is a pretty decent way to counter his point.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:55 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Andrew Hawkins.

And it obviously does. If you're going to say that "His involvement in the offense is what it is. It’s a guy whose been on the practice squad for a reason. OK? So, he’s been a free agent for all 32 to take a look at. You see what I’m saying? So. Yeah. It is what it is. Not many times you’re going to take a guy off the practice squad and go win an NFL game with.” but start Hardy Nickerson who has been dreadful and has ALSO come off the practice squad is a little confusing there.

Yes. Nickerson only started in 2 games in 2017. And no one is arguing that Tate should start. We're arguing he should be given opportunities like Core has been given.
Difference is, Core has dropped critical passes. Yes, the 4th down comes to mind, but remember his drops in Pittsburgh? Or how abysmal he was in 2017?

Nickerson was brought back from the PS three separate times and still played 158 snaps on defense and 271 on special teams.
Nickerson had 40 less snaps on defense than Kevin Minter after being put on the practice squad three times in 2017

So yeah. Think using Nickerson, a guy who was promoted from the PS three separate times, played that many games/snaps, and STARTED in two games is a pretty decent way to counter his point.

Exactly he contradicted his stupid self. If practice guys cant win you games, then our organization isnt really trying to win,go get you a free agent lb and wr thats out there that has game experience,they are still out there waiting on a call. Our coaches and ownerbis just stupid and dont want to win enough and im sick of it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We traded McDonald.  He was nto signed off the practice squad.

McDonald spent the entire 2009 season on the PS and was only active for 8 games in 2010, barely touching the field.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am well aware of what he did in preseason.  3 catches for 66 yards.  You know what Cody Core did in his rookie preseason? 8 receptions for 135 yards including a 53 yarder.

I also remember when everyone here claim Cedric Peerman should be our starting RB because he had an 80 run in preseason.

So what is your point?

That is because our starter was BJGE and people were highly unimpressed with him.

He sucked ballz.  Yes ballz... with a Z.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:28 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Was it jimmy smith? Wow that makes it even worse benching him,it was so close i thought he made it just like he did. Seriously marvins stupidity made me feel like crying for a couple days. Just horrible,he is thee problem. Him and mike and lazor. Bafoons

"Here’s how inexperienced Dalton’s targets were in the first two series. Rookie Auden Tate caught his first NFL ball on third-down (a nice reaching grab) and he barely missed a first down when cornerback Jimmy Smith threw him back. Then on the second series tight end Jordan Franks caught his second NFL ball."

And I'm not worried about Tate dropping 1 ball. He's not known for dropping balls. He's typically a sure handed and reliable target who deserved more chances and with that size he's not going to go down easy. I'm really curious as to why we haven't been trying him as a TE at this level.

Core took himself out by dropping both of his targets.
Core has a nice 9 yrds per catch avg, but only catches it about 50% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yes, even if it is cut out of context.

No one has said Tate was unstoppable. Hell, I was one of the very few ones knocking on the Tate hype in preseason.

A drop in garbage time verses a drop on 4th down that ended the Bengals chances to tie or to win aren't comparable.

In case you and Marvin havn't noticed, the team is on a downslide going 1-4, and the offense is getting worse. Mix things up, try something else, use Drickell at times, Gio as a receiver, just do something different. But least of all don't use Core on 60some% of snaps.

Right....and the funny thing was, these guys were talking about looking at more read-option with Driskell and Dalton out there. I don't recall seeing it once in Baltimore? Dumbasses.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:55 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Andrew Hawkins.

Damn right! On ALL of it! Merv's so full of shit, the whites of his eyes are turning brown.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:22 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: "Here’s how inexperienced Dalton’s targets were in the first two series. Rookie Auden Tate caught his first NFL ball on third-down (a nice reaching grab) and he barely missed a first down when cornerback Jimmy Smith threw him back. Then on the second series tight end Jordan Franks caught his second NFL ball."

And I'm not worried about Tate dropping 1 ball. He's not known for dropping balls. He's typically a sure handed and reliable target who deserved more chances and with that size he's not going to go down easy. I'm really curious as to why we haven't been trying him as a TE at this level.

Core took himself out by dropping both of his targets.
Core has a nice 9 yrds per catch avg, but only catches it about 50% of the time.

....not to mention Matt Lengel caught a TD.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is simple. Tate has done nothing to show that he is better than Core.

Has he been given the same opportunity as Core?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bullock has hit a higher percentage of both FGs and XP than Elliott since last year and over the course of his full career

In less than two season Elliott has missed 5 XP and 4 FGs shorter than 40 yds.  Bullock has missed only one of each during the same time.

How many times have the Bengals punted because they have an inaccurate kicker. You think the Ravens hesitated before trying that field gal knowing of he misses the Bengals have the ball at midfield at the end of the fourth quarter. That my friend is the difference between having Tucker and a Sucker.
Reply/Quote