Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marshal Faulk .... 16-0 Bengals?
(11-09-2015, 04:13 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: There's really only one team I feel like we'd be an underdog too and that's New England and we won't have to see them till the playoffs so based on that we should go 16-0 but on any given Sunday any team can beat any team and if I was a betting man I'd guess we'll finish 13-3 maybe 14-2 at best

I think this team finishes 14-2 losing @Arizona and @Denver. As much as I don't want to see this happen , if it does, this will fuel their fire with an "us against the world"  mentality. Because everyone will pile on if they lose these two particular games.   

That being said, they are fully capable of running the table if they stay relatively healthy.

Reply/Quote
There's always one game that you lose that you shouldn't have lost. One team that is clearly inferior to you, yet, beats you. This has not happened of course yet, but it will. The Bengals will lose to ONE of these teams: Texans, Browns, Rams, 49'ers or Ravens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 08:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000576336/Who-will-stay-undefeated-the-longest

Thank you for posting. I knew i wasn't hearing things. Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 10:23 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Personally, I prefer that we DO NOT go 16-0. There's too much pressure on the team to stay perfect at that point ... plus, a 16-0 record will lead the players to start believing the hype and breathing their own exhaust, which is the perfect recipe for a letdown.

For me, 15-1 or 14-2 would be preferable. That, and not having to play the Squealers in the playoffs after beating them twice in the regular season.

I think it will be 15 - 1.  I'm guessing a loss at Denver.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 10:40 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think this team finishes 14-2 losing @Arizona and @Denver. As much as I don't want to see this happen , if it does, this will fuel their fire with an "us against the world"  mentality. Because everyone will pile on if they lose these two particular games.   

That being said, they are fully capable of running the table if they stay relatively healthy.

Neither of those teams scare me.   The Rams scare me more than either of them. Denver is a flawed team. Arizona will be tough but they never play a full game it seems.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 04:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Let me be clear.  I'm not saying we are going 16-0.  

Just caught me off guard to hear Marshall Faulk say it.    

Pretty much sounded like he expected us to be there with the pats for the chance at the super bowl.

I have heard Michael Irvin say three different times that the only team who can keep New England from going 18-0 is the Bengals.

I think the chances of going unbeaten are very, very slim.  Let's be real... the team is going to drop one, maybe two games.  The pressure of going unbeaten is just too big, and weird things happen in the NFL.  Most important is getting that first round bye and Denver losing yesterday gave them a real boost.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 04:01 AM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I give the Bengals about a 2% chance of going 16-0. I pulled that number out of my arse, but I'm serious -- it's not happening.

Just get a first round bye and maybe even home field advantage. Everything else is meaningless.

to get #1 seed we might have to run the table this year.
Reply/Quote
I don't think its a good thing you go 16-0.

Remember what happened to the Patriots?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
So question. Say we go 15-1 and new England as well, say we both lose to a afc opponent , who would get the tie breaker?
Reply/Quote
I just don't see it. Do I think this team is better than every team left on their schedule? Absolutely. The problem is that it is just too difficult to win on the road in the NFL. Ask the Broncos about that.

So, I really see two losses:

@ Denver
@ Arizona
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 10:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Dolphins went 14-0 because that's how many games there were, and the Patriots actually went 15-1 because Brady got stopped on their final drive but the ref gave the timeout to an assistant coach, which is illegal (Ravens game).

Game should have been over.
Pats finished the year 18-1, but were 16-0 before the playoffs.

Dolphins finished the year 17-0, but were 16-0 before the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 04:01 AM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I give the Bengals about a 2% chance of going 16-0.  I pulled that number out of my arse, but I'm serious -- it's not happening.

Just get a first round bye and maybe even home field advantage.  Everything else is meaningless.

That is about what ESPN gave them last week.  I imagine that it would have went up since then.  The Patriots were given a 5% chance to finish it out perfect.  I'm not sure how they formulated their numbers, but I don't think either are even as much of a longshot as others do.

Wouldn't it be crazy to see both of them still undefeated going into the AFCC game?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 11:49 AM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: So question. Say we go 15-1 and new England as well, say we both lose to a afc opponent , who would get the tie breaker?

It would depend on the strength of schedule, which at this point leans toward New England, and will likely stay that way due to their division being a bit better.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I see where Faulk is coming from. All of the games on our schedule look winnable.

It's just so unlikely it will happen when you look at history.

But we've already been surprised by the Bengals this year in more ways than one. Why not again?
Reply/Quote
For some reason I thought their last game was against Pittsburgh, which is why I said there may be a situation where winning or losing won't make a difference as far as division title or seeding, so players may be resting, and won't be subject to the Steeler revenge.

Since that's not the case, the home game against Pittsburgh will be played with starters. Hoping the Steeler 'revenge' won't result in any lengthy key injuries, because I really don't think some of those thugs could care if they get fined or suspended.

The last game is home against Baltimore and, again, you could see a situation like last year with the Patriots, where winning or losing doesn't change division or seeding and they could end if losing the last one because of that.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what our record is as long as the season ends with a W.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 03:57 AM)Adamantium Wrote: I'm as hopeful as the rest of you, but only ONE TEAM has ever gone 16-0. If it were as easy as just "We're probably gonna go 16-0.....because we're already at 8-0, so yeah!" more teams would have done it by now. But they haven't.

I'm not worried about 16-0. As long as we make it to the playoffs and WIN, that's all I care about.

I only "care" about winning in the playoffs and the Super Bowl as well, but I would love to see them make history along the way.

It is HIGHLY unlikely, but I have said numerous times that it is the AZ game that this hinges on.  If they take care of business against Houston, and then find a way to win in AZ on a short week, they would be 10-0.  And I know St. Louis is playing well, and going to Denver won't be easy, but I believe they could go 16-0 if they make it past AZ.

Another way of looking at it:  They will be favored in all of those games except the Denver game.

Just beat Houston, upset AZ (and it is only an upset because of the short week + travel) and they have a real shot. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 12:06 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Wouldn't it be crazy to see both of them still undefeated going into the AFCC game?

Cheaters vs. Cheetahs?

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 04:01 AM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I give the Bengals about a 2% chance of going 16-0.  I pulled that number out of my arse, but I'm serious -- it's not happening.

Just get a first round bye and maybe even home field advantage.  Everything else is meaningless.

According to the following smart guy maths, we've got about a 5% chance of going 16-0. I'm using the fivethirtyeight.com ELO ratings to compute the following win probabilities (which are a bit simplistic, but a decent starting point):

Houston (78.2%), Arizona (57.8%), St. Louis (74.0%), Cleveland (85.6%), Pissburgh (64.3%), SF (78.5%), Denver (49.1%), Bmore (73.1%).

Multiply all those probabilities together and you end up with a 5.2% chance of 16-0. For what it's worth, the same procedure gave us a 6.6% chance of getting to 8-0.

Not likely to happen, but it looks like we should only be underdogs in one game, and maybe not even that one if Denver goes into the tank the next few weeks.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone can say it's "not a good thing" to go 16-0. They are finally "taking 1 game at a time", in any sport, who wants to lose? You always want to win. Unless you're trying to be shady and pick who you play in the playoffs. 

Resting players might destroy that equation, but a healthy Bengals team playing every game is going to win. I would be extremely surprised if we were 13-3 or worse at this point. We need to go 16-0 just to have a chance at the #1 seed.

The best perform best under pressure; the more motivation and pressure the better. This is the year the Steelers can shut up about their rings, nobody will match 16-0 in the AFC-N again in our lifetime.

Kaepernick says he doesn't believe in pressure. What he meant to say was he doesn't believe in luck. Luck is for those who aren't prepared. Pressure must exist to bring out the best. Do we think McCarron's performance in the preseason, the continual booing of Dalton in the media and fans at the allstar game doesn't motivate Dalton to quiet everyone?

The Bengals are improving every game, they're not playing their best and winning. A perfect Bengals team wins the superbowl, anything less could as well. With Burfict back it's lights out. All their attitudes are mingling at the right time, Adam Jones has a positive affect for all his antics on the field.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote