Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Extension Still Leaves A Bad Taste In My Mouth
I know its been a few months but the Bengals giving Lewis another year extension on his contract just baffles me with what the positives were with this decision? I can think of a ton of positives for holding off to see how he prepares this team in the last year of his contract and also more options at the end that would benefit the team.

But seriously you have to put Lewis at the top of the list for the reason this team went into a 4th straight playoff loss looking totally unprepared to play in the big post season games. So why? Why would they give him another year?

What do you think is going through the front offices minds with this decision and what, if any, reaction will this have on the upcoming season?
Reply/Quote
No real reason, but my thoughts are it's a transition year. They give the contract so there's no distraction, but there's one of two outcomes Marvin lays his usual egg and the team moves on to a new coach, or Marvin finally succeeds and they talk about the future.

But that' just my guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He is a great coach for rebuilding a franchise.

Problem is, we have already been rebuilt.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:26 AM)GodFather Wrote: I know its been a few months but the Bengals giving Lewis another year extension on his contract just baffles me with what the positives were with this decision? I can think of a ton of positives for holding off to see how he prepares this team in the last year of his contract and also more options at the end that would benefit the team.

But seriously you have to put Lewis at the top of the list for the reason this team went into a 4th straight playoff loss looking totally unprepared to play in the big post season games. So why? Why would they give him another year?

What do you think is going through the front offices minds with this decision and what, if any, reaction will this have on the upcoming season?

I'm losing my enthusiasm for this team. It's almost better to be in rebuilding mode and have hope with new coaches and a QB that is young and talented with high upside than the rut that we're in.
Reply/Quote
You almost have to give him the 1 year extension if you plan to let him coach in 2015. Having him try to coach in the final year with the lame duck status doesn't help at all. I'm as ready as anyone to move on from Marvin, but if he is going to coach this year, the extension had to be done to give him a chance to compete.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:34 AM)Benton Wrote: No real reason, but my thoughts are it's a transition year. They give the contract so there's no distraction, but there's one of two outcomes Marvin lays his usual egg and the team moves on to a new coach, or Marvin finally succeeds and they talk about the future.

But that' just my guess.

More like transition decade.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list. Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year? That is not how you run a franchise. You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'. Marvy isn't out there running routes or catching passes.

This team was a giant steaming pile of shit before Marvy came here and they have been competitive ever since. Marvin Lewis is the best coach this franchise has seen since Wyche. He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy. Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league. Marvin would have a HC job IMMEDIATELY after getting fired or let go by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list.  Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year?  That is not how you run a franchise.  You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'.  Marvy isn't out there running routes or catching passes.  

He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy.  Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league.

1. If we fire 1 coach after 12+ years, that means we automatically become Cleveland and swap coaches out after every season? lolwat

2. Longest tenure = best? I'll be sure to remember that for the future. I mean, screw looking at credentials and what he's actually done here (some good, some bad), all that matters is how long a guy is employed Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
I just want to know if the thread title was a deliberate double entendre.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list.  Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year?  That is not how you run a franchise.  You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'.  Marvy isn't out there running routes or catching passes.  

This team was a giant steaming pile of shit before Marvy came here and they have been competitive ever since.  Marvin Lewis is the best coach this franchise has seen since Wyche.  He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy.  Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league.  Marvin would have a HC job IMMEDIATELY after getting fired or let go by the Bengals.

Are you serious with this?  In any other sport, and that includes college, Marvin Lewis would have been shown the door well before now.  Seriously, the best coach in the league?   LMAO
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:32 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Are you serious with this?  In any other sport, and that includes college, Marvin Lewis would have been shown the door well before now.  Seriously, the best coach in the league?   LMAO

Any other sport? You mean including this sport LOL . On any other TEAM, Marvin Lewis would have been shown the door well before now. He's not a bad HC, but he's clearly not even in the conversation of best in the league.
Reply/Quote

This team was a giant steaming pile of shit before Marvy came here and they have been competitive ever since.  Marvin Lewis is the best coach this franchise has seen since Wyche.  He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy.  Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league.  Marvin would have a HC job IMMEDIATELY after getting fired or let go by the Bengals.

Yes, but the Saints, Buccaneers, and Colts all just changed coaches because they couldn't get over the playoff hump.....worked pretty well for them.  Cleveland is a bad example.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:24 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 1. If we fire 1 coach after 12+ years, that means we automatically become Cleveland and swap coaches out after every season? lolwat

I never expected Batman to have top notch comprehension skills.

I didn't say they become CLE kid, I said look at CLE.  You are not quick.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 04:44 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You almost have to give him the 1 year extension if you plan to let him coach in 2015. Having him try to coach in the final year with the lame duck status doesn't help at all. 

The problem with that is Mike Brown wouldn't fire him after this season if Marvin tanked and then pay him for 2016. Thats not the Mike way. He would let Marvin coach in 2016 and who knows by then Brown would change his mind and sign him to another extension! LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:47 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: I never expected Batman to have top notch comprehension skills.

I didn't say they become CLE kid, I said look at CLE.  You are not quick.

I never expected Ben Richards to put together a proper way to have a conversation.

You bringing up Cleveland was an insinuation that we would do something similar if we fired Marvin Lewis.

Why not bring up the teams that have fired coaches and replaced them with future success? Would that have completely killed your narrative?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 04:44 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You almost have to give him the 1 year extension if you plan to let him coach in 2015. Having him try to coach in the final year with the lame duck status doesn't help at all. I'm as ready as anyone to move on from Marvin, but if he is going to coach this year, the extension had to be done to give him a chance to compete.

Eventually he's either going to be in a lame-duck year or he's going to get fired when he is under contract.  You can't just keep adding one more year to a guy's contract for fear that he will spend his last year slacking off and/or too shell-shocked to produce.  Why happened to the assumptions that putting him to task and telling him that it's his last year would inspire him to work harder and earn another year?
Reply/Quote
So the Bengals have won 10 games per season since 2011 with the following......

A bad head coach in Marvin Lewis (according to some).
A bad quarterback in Andy Dalton (according to some).
A cheap skate owner in Mike Brown (according to some).

I can't think of one organization that has a bad owner, bad head coach and bad QB that consistently churns out 10 wins a year. Perhaps, these individuals aren't as terrible as many people want us to believe.
Reply/Quote

You don't just change coaches because he can't win a playoff game?  Really?  It seems like that is what other franchises do, and for every Cleveland Browns team that switches coaches and perpetually stinks there have to be some examples of ones that change coaches and, you know, win stuff.  Ida know, it just seems odd that he have a HC who has gone 12 years without winning a playoff game but appanretly switching HC's ddoesn't lead to payoff wins, either.  So staying the course hasn't worked, but we'd be crazy to change?  Perhaps.

I also think it's pretty humorous that you mention the stupidity of changing HC's but also point out that if we get rid of Marvin that some other team is going to jettison their HC to sign him immediately.  The fools!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 10:04 AM)Who Dey Time Wrote: So the Bengals have won 10 games per season since 2011 with the following......

I can't think of one organization that has a bad owner, bad head coach and bad QB that consistently churns out 10 wins a year.  Perhaps, these individuals aren't as terrible as many people want us to believe.

The Bengals aren't a bad team by any means right now, but the fact that this stretch is seen as some sort of dynasty and golden age for the franchise is all I need to tell me what kind of ceiling those people you mention may be imposing.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 10:04 AM)Who Dey Time Wrote: So the Bengals have won 10 games per season since 2011 with the following......

I can't think of one organization that has a bad owner, bad head coach and bad QB that consistently churns out 10 wins a year.  Perhaps, these individuals aren't as terrible as many people want us to believe.

Other than a very small percentage of extremists, no one really says they're "bad". They aren't bad and most people acknowledge that.

They're just...not necessarily GOOD either.

I don't think there's much coincidence that MB started giving more control to others and then the franchise miraculously started turning around. MB is still not the worst person alive, but a lot of people have beef with a quarter of a century playoff drought. That's going to bring scrutiny anywhere in professional sports.

Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis are fine and have done a lot for the team, but a lot of people complain because they want to see very good or great players/coaches in their positions instead.

The arguments mostly come between people with the same opinions (Andy and Marvin are somewhere around average) but with different plans for the end game. While myself and someone else both believe Marvin Lewis is a good regular season HC and terrible primetime/playoff HC, I may want him gone while the other guy may want him to stay and we both have different reasons for our opinions. Surprisingly enough, there is almost a general consensus on the ability of these guys, but a lot of us differ when it comes to what to do with them.
Reply/Quote