Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Takes Over as DC
(11-12-2018, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep....I agree.  Let's see what ol Merv has up his sleeve, can't be any worse, can it? Nervous

THIS...The worst D in NFL can't get any worse.  Just might get better. 

I gave up on Bengals season during Saints game, the D just so bad, especially last 4 games. 

Lets say Bengals lose at Baltimore, fall to 5-5.  OK, Lets say they win in The Jungle against Browns and Broncos and Raiders with loss at Chargers. That makes them 8-6 going into Christmas.  That was what I was looking at status quo with Austin.  But what if Marvin improves the D.   What if somehow they win against Flacco and Ravens.   That opens up good chance to be 9-6 going into Christmas with games at Cleveland and Pittsburg to get win # 10.   

So I like that Bengals made a rare mid season move. They have nothing to lose.  If Marvin turns this D around, there is a chance for 10-6 record still.  

As to how can Marvin be head coach and run the D.  I think that is simple. Let Lazor run all offense.  Let Marvin run all D.  Marvin may want to decide going on 4th down or kicking the ball. Also throwing challenge flag. That really free's up Marvin most of game to run the D.  It also free's up Marvin in every practice to run the D.  7 more weeks of practice. I'm guessing 35 more practice days, ball park figure. 

I'm rooting for this to work.  Of course I'm rooting for Bengals at Baltimore.  That would be a BIG win putting them at 6-4 with 3 home games they can win coming up.  No matter how you slice it, firing Austin had to be done.  Marvins job also on line, he might just start kicking some D players butts, maybe just what they need. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:24 PM)kevin Wrote: THIS...The worst D in NFL can't get any worse.  Just might get better. 

I gave up on Bengals season during Saints game, the D just so bad, especially last 4 games. 

Lets say Bengals lose at Baltimore, fall to 5-5.  OK, Lets say they win in The Jungle against Browns and Broncos and Raiders with loss at Chargers. That makes them 8-6 going into Christmas.  That was what I was looking at status quo with Austin.  But what if Marvin improves the D.   What if somehow they win against Flacco and Ravens.   That opens up good chance to be 9-6 going into Christmas with games at Cleveland and Pittsburg to get win # 10.   

So I like that Bengals made a rare mid season move. They have nothing to lose.  If Marvin turns this D around, there is a chance for 10-6 record still.  

As to how can Marvin be head coach and run the D.  I think that is simple. Let Lazor run all offense.  Let Marvin run all D.  Marvin may want to decide going on 4th down or kicking the ball. Also throwing challenge flag. That really free's up Marvin most of game to run the D.  It also free's up Marvin in every practice to run the D.  7 more weeks of practice. I'm guessing 35 more practice days, ball park figure. 

I'm rooting for this to work.  Of course I'm rooting for Bengals at Baltimore.  That would be a BIG win putting them at 6-4 with 3 home games they can win coming up.  No matter how you slice it, firing Austin had to be done.  Marvins job also on line, he might just start kicking some D players butts, maybe just what they need. 

This is as good of a position to take as any imo. These transactions will likely bring what many are looking for to happen, and sooner rather than later. Marvin either fails miserably and accelerates his exit from here, OR he succeeds well enough to get it all back on track to make 2019 a serious year as contenders. It is kinda impressive that Marvin has stuck his neck out with this. He's put it all on the line it seems. 

If all of this makes a winner, I'm all for it. If not, well .... I'm all for it too. Get it done or get off the pot!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:24 PM)kevin Wrote: THIS...The worst D in NFL can't get any worse.  Just might get better. 

I absolutely agree Kev....I was pretty stoked yesterday to come here and see the team had fired Austin.  Then came the news that Merv would be the DC.  I like that move.  If he fails, which I think he will improve their play, then maybe he's finally shown the door.  Either way, win/win for us fans.

Then the kick to the stones.....bringing back Hue.  Sure it makes sense, but I get the worst feeling that they are going to rekindle their notions of making him a HC in waiting.  That ain't worth a handful of sheep shit.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That and Zampese wasn't an oc any more than I can look in your mouth and be a dentist. 

Longevity reward.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote