Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Takes Over as DC
(11-12-2018, 06:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Rex ran a hybrid. Marv's big Ds consisted of:

Rob Burnett-Siragusa-Sam Adams-McCrary
       Boulware-Lewis-Jamie Sharper

When Nolan took over, it was a 3-4:

Adalius Thomas- Kelly Gregg- McCrary (which didn't work as he's a 4-3 DE and too big to be a 3-4 OLB)/Anthony Weaver (which DID work out)
Cornell Brown-Ed Hartwell-Lewis-Boulware

Then, when Rex took over, it became a hybrid of his previous coordinators' alignments (officially, IIRC, it was a 4-3):

Jarret Johnson-Gregg-Ma'ake Kemoeatu/Ngata/Trvor Pryce-Suggs
           Thomas-Lewis-Bart Scott

or

Ngata/Kemoeatu-Gregg-Ngata/Trevor Pryce
       Thomas-Lewis-Bart Scott-Suggs

Having 2 way guys like Suggs, Johnson, Boulware and Thomas for all those years, allowed them to switch back and forth.

Good post! Their defense was scary good back then. I miss those days of the NFL but not having to play against that defense twice a year. 
Reply/Quote
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what Marv can do in a DC role again. And as for Hue, if he is hired in to help Marvin with some other responsibilities, I have no problem with that, he has been a great asst. coach here. I do not want him for HC, or HC in waiting, because that should go to Lazor, or outside....
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:27 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Good post! Their defense was scary good back then. I miss those days of the NFL but not having to play against that defense twice a year. 

Thanks.

I should qualify that Rex is really a 3-4 guy (see Jets, Buffalo and his family), but because of the interchangeable assets, he ran a hybrid in Bmore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This post is giving me flashbacks to when we were simplifying and cutting the bs out of the offense when we were going from Hue to Zampese.

Huh. I thought the problem with Zamp was that he overcomplicated stuff.  Hmm
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This post is giving me flashbacks to when we were simplifying and cutting the bs out of the offense when we were going from Hue to Zampese.

Yeah had nothing to do with losing Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Whitworth, and Zeitler.  It was making things simple that's what the problem was.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:55 PM)dnkw Wrote: Huh. I thought the problem with Zamp was that he overcomplicated stuff.  Hmm

I'm not sure.  But the biggest problem was that he was given the job as a longevity reward.  They just didn't want to hear him whimper when they passed him over yet again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Personally, I think this could save our season.

Marvin used to be enthusiastic when he was a coordinator and loved aggression, which is what this team needs since Austin wouldn't blitz often at all. Marvin can be a great motivator if host head's in it and he's motivating the players towards something specific, which he can do while running the defense.

I LOVE it and I hope the players jump on board because we're still in the playoff picture and this could kickstart our team!

(Also, hopefully it lessens his in-game influence on the offense, whatever it was.)

I don't see how people don't LOVE this move!

Get back to your old self, Marv! Be the man you were before you got here!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 05:25 PM)pally Wrote: And how much a better called game can help too

Marvin might struggle, when it comes to in-game head coaching decision making.  However, he made his name by being hands on with a specific unit, and knowing how to get the most out of them.  Heck, I'm looking forward to the resurgence of Burfict, down the stretch of this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I found this article online from 2003:

+++

Coaching Idaho State's linebackers in his first year, Lewis got a taste of the satisfaction the profession could bring when the Idaho State Bengals notched a 12-1 record and won the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division 1-AA championship. He stayed on as an assistant coach at Idaho State through 1984 having earned a master's degree in athletic administration in 1982 and then moved on to assistant coach posts at Long Beach State University in California (1985-86), the University of New Mexico (1987-89), and the University of Pittsburgh (1990-91).

That powerhouse coaching job in his home area put Lewis within reach of a pro coaching slot, and in 1992 he was hired as a linebackers coach by the Pittsburgh Steelers. His Steelers squads from 1992 to 1995 spawned several NFL defensive stars, and in 1996 he was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as defensive coordinator even though head coach Brian Billick originally wanted someone else for the position. Once again Lewis proved himself; the Ravens' defense steadily improved, and the defensive team on the 2000 squad, which won the Super Bowl, set a record for fewest points allowed (165, 9.4 points per game) in a 16-game season and is considered one of the best in NFL history. In 2002 Lewis became defensive coordinator and assistant head coach with the Washington Redskins. In that season the Redskins finished fifth in total defense and Lewis’ defense allowed no opponents to pass for more than 300 yards all season.

Although NFL teams had interviewed Lewis for head coaching jobs several times, he had been passed over. The biggest heartbreaker came in 2002, when Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Rich McKay offered the team's head coach slot to Lewis but was overruled by the team's owners. Discouraged, Lewis nevertheless turned down a $7.5 million offer to coach football at Michigan State University in order to keep pursuing his goal. Finally he was hired in 2003 for $1.5 million a year to coach the Cincinnati Bengals, which in 2002 had amassed a dismal record of 2 wins and 14 losses, worst in the history of the franchise. The team's last winning record had come in 1990.

Read more: Marvin Lewis - Hired As Assistant Coach - Coaching, Team, Head, and Defensive - JRank Articles http://biography.jrank.org/pages/2628/Lewis-Marvin-Hired-Assistant-Coach.html#ixzz5WgJhHZv1
Reply/Quote
I just hope they give Merv 6 more time-outs so he can make more gooder decisions!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I found this article online from 2003:

+++

Coaching Idaho State's linebackers in his first year, Lewis got a taste of the satisfaction the profession could bring when the Idaho State Bengals notched a 12-1 record and won the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division 1-AA championship. He stayed on as an assistant coach at Idaho State through 1984 having earned a master's degree in athletic administration in 1982 and then moved on to assistant coach posts at Long Beach State University in California (1985-86), the University of New Mexico (1987-89), and the University of Pittsburgh (1990-91).

That powerhouse coaching job in his home area put Lewis within reach of a pro coaching slot, and in 1992 he was hired as a linebackers coach by the Pittsburgh Steelers. His Steelers squads from 1992 to 1995 spawned several NFL defensive stars, and in 1996 he was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as defensive coordinator even though head coach Brian Billick originally wanted someone else for the position. Once again Lewis proved himself; the Ravens' defense steadily improved, and the defensive team on the 2000 squad, which won the Super Bowl, set a record for fewest points allowed (165, 9.4 points per game) in a 16-game season and is considered one of the best in NFL history. In 2002 Lewis became defensive coordinator and assistant head coach with the Washington Redskins. In that season the Redskins finished fifth in total defense and Lewis’ defense allowed no opponents to pass for more than 300 yards all season.

Although NFL teams had interviewed Lewis for head coaching jobs several times, he had been passed over. The biggest heartbreaker came in 2002, when Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Rich McKay offered the team's head coach slot to Lewis but was overruled by the team's owners. Discouraged, Lewis nevertheless turned down a $7.5 million offer to coach football at Michigan State University in order to keep pursuing his goal. Finally he was hired in 2003 for $1.5 million a year to coach the Cincinnati Bengals, which in 2002 had amassed a dismal record of 2 wins and 14 losses, worst in the history of the franchise. The team's last winning record had come in 1990.

Read more: Marvin Lewis - Hired As Assistant Coach - Coaching, Team, Head, and Defensive - JRank Articles http://biography.jrank.org/pages/2628/Lewis-Marvin-Hired-Assistant-Coach.html#ixzz5WgJhHZv1

They got one thing wrong; Marchibroda was the HC, not Billick.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:
Marvin might struggle, when it comes to in-game head coaching decision making.
  However, he made his name by being hands on with a specific unit, and knowing how to get the most out of them.  Heck, I'm looking forward to the resurgence of Burfict, down the stretch of this season.

Since he already struggles at times, maybe focusing on the defense will help. Instead of overthinking things and missing the obvious, now the obvious hc decisions could stand out easier to make.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They got one thing wrong; Marchibroda was the HC, not Billick.

Yep, Billick didn't come along until '99. Good catch.

And while on the subject, I have wondered (to myself) if Billick might be worth a look. Of course he's been away from it for 10 years, so that's a consideration to work through. But the guy had a decent record, won several playoff games and a SB. Billick as HC, and Marvin as DC? It likely would never happen, but I can imagine worse.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yep, Billick didn't come along until '99. Good catch.

And while on the subject, I have wondered (to myself) if Billick might be worth a look. Of course he's been away from it for 10 years, so that's a consideration to work through. But the guy had a decent record, won several playoff games and a SB. Billick as HC, and Marvin as DC? It likely would never happen, but I can imagine worse.

The question you have to ask yourself is...

...is Gruden's return a cautionary tale?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:07 PM)McC Wrote: The question you have to ask yourself is...

...is Gruden's return a cautionary tale?

No doubt. That crossed my mind when I had that thought initially. What Gruden has done ought to alarm any team owner. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: No doubt. That crossed my mind when I had that thought initially. What Gruden has done ought to alarm any team owner. 

The league is always evolving but the last few years, the evolution has gone into hyper drive, no, make that plaid.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: I can't shake the feeling that these decisions mean we will be seeing Hue hired as a special assistant head coach to be Marv's right hand man

sometimes you have to trust those feelings

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yep, Billick didn't come along until '99. Good catch.

Not sure he wants to do the duty anymore; doesn't even commentate anymore and does the occasional thing on NFLN.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The more I think about this decision the more I like it. In fact, I am giving Mike Brown mad props for thinking outside the box! Marvin Lewis is, after all, at least in terms of scoring defense, the best defensive coordinator in NFL history. Let’s not forget the 2000 Baltimore Ravens’ defense only allowed 9.4 points per game. Contrast this with the 2018 Bengals defense who was basically allowing eight points per quarter.

Per quarter? I'm thinking per possession. Eight points per possession . That's as bad as it gets and we are pretty damn close to that.

Anyway, I don't necessarily expect miracles and an overnight number one defense ,but I do expect a big improvement unless our players suddenly ALL just suck.. I think Austin's chances at a HC gig are pretty much completely toast from here on out unless perhaps it's a high school team somewhere  ..
At least we won't have to worry about other teams siphoning off our defensive coordinator this year..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Yeah had nothing to do with losing Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Whitworth, and Zeitler.  It was making things simple that's what the problem was.

That and Zampese wasn't an oc any more than I can look in your mouth and be a dentist. 
Reply/Quote