Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Barkley, Dalton’s New Backup
(03-17-2018, 11:53 AM)dnkw Wrote: According to Hobson:

Barkley and Bengals OC Bill Lazor worked together in Philly in 2013 when Barkley was a rookie.

https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin/status/975021451840430081

Cool, i like it.

(03-17-2018, 11:57 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have a feeling that Driskel will be the next "Fever for LeFevour" of QB lore.

Maybe we can get him a sweet statue...

[Image: th?id=OIP.7CFr0NSZIA0FDd-a4ae4twHaE8&pid...=254&h=170]

Yah, rooting for Driskel all the way! Rock On
Reply/Quote
Congratulations Bengals, you're the latest winners of The Biggest Loser! As a reward for your participation, you get two years of hoping Matt Barkley never gets to see the field!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ok. We have gotten to the Barkley stage of free agency signings. Safe to say free agency is for the Bengals coming to a close.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
i wanted this badly
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are really opening up draft options. But if Mason Rudolph is still there in later rounds they should nab him; but now they really don't need to draft a QB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals are really opening up draft options.  But if Mason Rudolph is still there in 3rd they should nab him.

Wouldn't hate that at all. 
Reply/Quote
A lot of sane comments here, it's an insurance signing. I wouldn't go out and buy a Barkley jersey to watch games in from home, since Matt is likely to do just that.

We see his INTs and failed Kiper hype, but he's a body that worked with Lazor and is getting close to the league minimum. They didn't keep Driskell on the roster to easily cut, but he is hurt.

I'm sure they have a QB draft board and I believe that not only will Lazor not alter it but neither will Driskell. If they love a guy enough to take in the high to mid rounds they can still take him. Worst case, they take one with one of the 7ths to bring to camp and put on the PS. Either way they'll have another young guy in camp, but Barkley won't prevent the Bengals from making the right QB move if it's there.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Cool
[Image: honeymoon.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=588]

That looks like the girl who lives across the street except the girl across the street has bigger boobs and wears a hot pink bikini in the summer.

Oh please let the warm weather get here.
Reply/Quote
From the commentary following my positive posts about Matt Barkley it appears I may have overestimated his capabilities. Maybe he’ll get better with good coaching and proper mentoring.
Reply/Quote
Not as terrible as some are saying, but we could certainly do better.

Barkley can move the football (he had 316+ yards three times in 6 starts last year), but he's also very turnover prone (six mutiple INT games in 9 appearances with 10+ throws). That said...I have a feeling we'll be much more conservative with Barkley, much like we were with McCarron. Lots of safe throws.

I would expect us to also draft a guy and maybe Barkley won't make the roster. Familiarity with Lazor could give him an edge though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Familiar with Lazor and a two year contract, should keep him safe. I think if we draft a guy Driskel is the one out.

Either way we might be back to keeping 3 qb's until we get one on the level of AJ. We aren't as deep (roster wise) as years past, so it probably means we can afford to go light at another position (rb).

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals are really opening up draft options.  But if Mason Rudolph is still there in later rounds they should nab him; but now they really don't need to draft a QB.

Mason Rudolph, imo, will go in the lower part of the first.  After the run on need a QB now picks, there will be more than one team looking for their eventual replacement QB.  Steelers come to mind, if he gets that far.  I think Rudolph is pretty good and I hope like hell he isn't a Steeler.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Familiar with Lazor and a two year contract, should keep him safe. I think if we draft a guy Driskel is the one out.

Either way we might be back to keeping 3 qb's until we get one on the level of AJ. We aren't as deep (roster wise) as years past, so it probably means we can afford to go light at another position (rb).

I kinda hope we don't draft a QB unless some crazy value falls in our laps.  Spend the picks on somebody who might actually get on the field, even if it's on ST's.  Maybe find a dynamic returner.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They certainly did. This guy is awful and has no business on an active roster 

I don’t disagree but not long ago Fowles and Kennum were considered crappy back up,options
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:03 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: i wanted this badly

Are you serious lol
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not as terrible as some are saying, but we could certainly do better.

Barkley can move the football (he had 316+ yards three times in 6 starts last year), but he's also very turnover prone (six mutiple INT games in 9 appearances with 10+ throws). That said...I have a feeling we'll be much more conservative with Barkley, much like we were with McCarron. Lots of safe throws.

I would expect us to also draft a guy and maybe Barkley won't make the roster. Familiarity with Lazor could give him an edge though.
But if they drafted a guy and he had upside which I doubt they do now. They can really get put of barkley contract? Once your getting over a million in a contract I would think that guys inked in.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:06 PM)phil413 Wrote: A lot of sane comments here, it's an insurance signing.  I wouldn't go out and buy a Barkley jersey to watch games in from home, since Matt is likely to do just that.

We see his INTs and failed Kiper hype, but he's a body that worked with Lazor and is getting close to the league minimum.  They didn't keep Driskell on the roster to easily cut, but he is hurt.

I'm sure they have a QB draft board and I believe that not only will Lazor not alter it but neither will Driskell.  If they love a guy enough to take in the high to mid rounds they can still take him.  Worst case, they take one with one of the 7ths to bring to camp and put on the PS.  Either way they'll have another young guy in camp, but Barkley won't prevent the Bengals from making the right QB move if it's there.

That's my thinking we will draft one and he's headed to the practice squad lol barkley will be #2 and if we need him that's a loss
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:32 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m going to die. If we draft a couple good lineman tho AD will have no excuse for failure.

Iv been a huge AD supported tho and don’t feel his job was ever in any danger. Not much you can do with your line pushing back into you every play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!!!

Dalton needs to get it done in the playoffs. No more throwing up all over the field because it's the playoffs.

Of course, Barkley could hardly be called a decent backup. His numbers are awful. McCarron is just much better.

Reply/Quote
Still thinking AJ is that much better when bridge qb' are going for 12m a year, and he barely broke 4?

He might be, but we learned this offseason NFL execs aren't as sold as Bengal fans.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 06:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Still thinking AJ is that much better when bridge qb' are going for 12m a year, and he barely broke 4?

He might be, but we learned this offseason NFL execs aren't as sold as Bengal fans.

That's not true.

They flat out weren't sold at all.

He got a backup offer from NE before he jumped at the opportunity to take the only remaining starting opportunity remaining for 1/3 of the salary it should come with.

Had Hue not hyped him up to Buffalo, he would have been hoping for a backup job again.
Reply/Quote