Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mixon's Expected To Be Released
A friend just sent me the link on X:

Quote:REPORT: The #Bengals are expected to release Pro Bowl running back Joe Mixon, per Matthew Berry of NBC.

Cincinnati would save $6.1 million in cap space if they were to release Mixon.

Here

I'm glad that we're moving on. Loved him for a lot of his career but I just don't think he fits our system too well anymore.

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the update, Brad.
Reply/Quote
I have been leaning this way that we will release Mixon, but I will believe it when I see it. I don't think we go after the high priced RB's.

Of those you mention Brad, I would take Barkley as he is still young even if he has had a bad injury history so far in the league, he has
crazy upside if he can stay healthy. Thought Henry ran great late in the season in one game to show he still has it, but he is getting a little
long in the tooth for a RB. Tony Pollard has been mentioned by Nug and I always thought he ran well when I watched him.

There will be so many options that I think we could really hit on an upgrade pretty easily and add a good one in the Draft on top of it.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: A friend just sent me the link on X:

Here

I'm glad that we're moving on. Loved him for a lot of his career but I just don't think he fits our system too well anymore.

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?

Won't be any big names....I can see someone like Devin Singletary or even Zach Moss and then they'll draft a RB in the mid rounds and they'll be set.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't there a lot of reports last year of this same thing? I don't think he'll be cut.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:53 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Wasn't there a lot of reports last year of this same thing? I don't think he'll be cut.

Last year he took a pay cut and this year he would still be costing us around 8 mil and he is just getting older.

It was dumb to pay him so much when we did when he cannot break tackles or make people miss with any consistency.

He is a pass catcher and his best quality is his ball security which is why I would be okay with Mixon not being cut, but things change.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:53 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Wasn't there a lot of reports last year of this same thing? I don't think he'll be cut.
He's gone. To many gonna be on the market for much less and we'll draft a young guy to pair with Chase Brown.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Last year he took a pay cut and this year he would still be costing us around 8 mil and he is just getting older.

It was dumb to pay him so much when we did when he cannot break tackles or make people miss with any consistency.

He is a pass catcher and his best quality is his ball security which is why I would be okay with Mixon not being cut, but things change.

I don't think we're the type of team to eat dead cap and create a hole in our offense. We really don't have anyone anywhere close to proven as a RB right now if we get rid of Mixon. Mixon is rarely hurt and he has good ball security. He's a solid RB who has to run behind a bad OL. It's hard to make people miss or break tackles when you don't have very big holes and you got the big boys on you right away.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:02 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't think we're the type of team to eat dead cap and create a hole in our offense. We really don't have anyone anywhere close to proven as a RB right now if we get rid of Mixon. Mixon is rarely hurt and he has good ball security. He's a solid RB who has to run behind a bad OL. It's hard to make people miss or break tackles when you don't have very big holes and you got the big boys on you right away.

Mixon just isnt worth almost 9 milion ANY YEAR. Sorry that's just a fact. You can replace his production for much cheaper.
Reply/Quote
Maybe we don't need a FA RB...
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Maybe we don't need a FA RB...
With Mixon being released we will sign one FA RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:05 AM)pulses Wrote: Mixon just isnt worth almost 9 milion ANY YEAR. Sorry that's just a fact. You can replace his production for much cheaper.

He had 1400 all-purpose yards and 12 TDs last year and he had a "down year" last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:02 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't think we're the type of team to eat dead cap and create a hole in our offense. We really don't have anyone anywhere close to proven as a RB right now if we get rid of Mixon. Mixon is rarely hurt and he has good ball security. He's a solid RB who has to run behind a bad OL. It's hard to make people miss or break tackles when you don't have very big holes and you got the big boys on you right away.

Well then, he shouldn't have much trouble finding work at his current wage if we release him
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then, he shouldn't have much trouble finding work at his current wage if we release him

I brought this up in the other thread. But do you think we would be doing him a disservice releasing him after the start of FA?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then, he shouldn't have much trouble finding work at his current wage if we release him

Maybe, maybe not, but who said current wage? Maybe he takes another pay cut.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:07 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He had 1400 all-purpose yards and 12 TDs last year and he had a "down year" last year.

I know I'm a Mixon fan as well. I will be more than fine if we keep him this year. Although I do think we need to run more of a committee this year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:12 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I brought this up in the other thread. But do you think we would be doing him a disservice releasing him after the start of FA?

I really don't think it matters. There are so many vet RBs hitting the market, I don't think he'd be in the first round of signings.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:07 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He had 1400 all-purpose yards and 12 TDs last year and he had a "down year" last year.

Don't care what his numbers were he's not worth 9 million a year period. And this market this season in FA is gonna prove it. Alot of RB's are gonna be getting much lower price tags including MIxon.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:12 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Maybe, maybe not,  but who said current wage? Maybe he takes another pay cut.

We'll see. It kept him around last year. 

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have been leaning this way that we will release Mixon, but I will believe it when I see it. I don't think we go after the high priced RB's.

Of those you mention Brad, I would take Barkley as he is still young even if he has had a bad injury history so far in the league, he has
crazy upside if he can stay healthy. Thought Henry ran great late in the season in one game to show he still has it, but he is getting a little
long in the tooth for a RB. Tony Pollard has been mentioned by Nug and I always thought he ran well when I watched him.

There will be so many options that I think we could really hit on an upgrade pretty easily and add a good one in the Draft on top of it.
I meant to mention Pollard but I was taking some fools' money in poker while I was posting that and then making fun of them for losing money to a vegetable ThumbsUp

Hilarious

Burrow takes the snap from the gun 95% of the time, which I think Henry needs to go from a setback with the QB under center at this point, so he's off the market for me.

I think we need to heavily take the shotgun into account so we don't sign a back where we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
(03-06-2024, 11:51 PM)pulses Wrote: Won't be any big names....I can see someone like Devin Singletary or even Zach Moss and then they'll draft a RB in the mid rounds and they'll be set.

I think you might be right, although there are always surprise cuts and we could end up with a solid back.
Reply/Quote