Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
(02-05-2016, 12:55 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: probably has to do with whoever in the band writes the music I'm guessing?   the rest of the band are probably hired guns so to speak....studio musicians.

i dunno.

Probably as simple as that.  The group decides who is in the group, and everyone else, even if they are with them a long time are not in the group.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but honestly Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco is truly one of the best singers I've heard. Now, I get it, he started out in an emo rock band. But, since the song that literally everyone knows him for, his musical style has completely changed. He covers Bohemian Rhapsody in every concert and he does it like a pro. I link to it.

Bohemian Rhapsody [LIVE] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1t4jVmv7E

Sinatra Covers [LIVE] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF176xgINo

I know its not going to be popular. But I think the fact that he started off doing emo rock has soiled any reputation he will get as a legitimately good singer.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably as simple as that.  The group decides who is in the group, and everyone else, even if they are with them a long time are not in the group.  

i wouldn't be offended if i were in the band and not part of the duo....so long as they pay me :)
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:16 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I'll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but honestly Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco is truly one of the best singers I've heard. Now, I get it, he started out in an emo rock band. But, since the song that literally everyone knows him for, his musical style has completely changed. He covers Bohemian Rhapsody in every concert and he does it like a pro. I link to it.

Bohemian Rhapsody [LIVE] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1t4jVmv7E

Sinatra Covers [LIVE] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF176xgINo

I know its not going to be popular. But I think the fact that he started off doing emo rock has soiled any reputation he will get as a legitimately good singer.

the fact that he covers Sinatra puts him in my good books.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I call him Hillbilly Hendrix.

For those that don't know Junior is a guitar virtuoso who plays a double neck guitar.  One is a regular guitar and the other is a slide steel.  He plays old-school style country music with Hendrix like riffs.

Listening to him on a CD is not as impressive as watching him live.  Even if you are not s big fan of his genre you should see him play if you appreciate great guitar work.

What the **** do you know?  You don't even play guitar.  What does a middle aged lawyer know about great guitar players?

Note: I'm mocking Fred.  I'm not this big of an asshole.
Reply/Quote
Props to all who like Junior Brown!   He is INSANE live!  Great show.

Here are two more bands that kick ass.

1. Wilco- If you've never seen them or heard any of their music, please go check them out.  You won't be disappointed.

2. Deertick- Small band out of New Jersey that's freaking awesome!  Check out these songs, 1. Main Street, 2. Clowning Around, and 3. Mange.
Good stuff right there.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: -The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson  As influential as anything you can find.
-Traffic/Steve Winwood
-Faith No More
-Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis (In relation to bands like Nirvana and guitarists like Kurt Cobain)
-ELO
-Beck.  Had it been in a different era he'd be 10 times more known.
-Cake
-Del/Detron.  One of the best ever in hip-hop.  Writes way too intelligent shit for the masses listening to Kanye West.
-Morphine

-Mark Knopfler
-Andy Summers
-Brian May
-George Benson

I'll stop here.

John Barleycorn must die!!!!! Smirk  Love traffic, Dear Mr. Fantasy is one of my alltime faves, and the John Barleycorn album just kicks ass, my 3 and 5 year old daughters dig the shit out of it.  DEFINITELY underrated.

ELO----this band is like Pink Floyd, although they are literally a symphony of sound, and Floyd is like some weird futuristic symphony of sound.  Jeff Lynne is killer.

Beck gets way less love than he should.  A one man dynamo, I still play the shit out of Odelay!

Way Aye Man!  Absolutely dig Knopfler, even Money for Nothing.  There's something to be said for rocking out, being a virtuoso, and yet still writing a catchy enough hook to charm the masses.  I love that song he did about Ray Kroc.....killer licks, Boom Like That.

Brian May got overshadowed by Freddie, but he is a great player.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: John Barleycorn must die!!!!! Smirk  Love traffic, Dear Mr. Fantasy is one of my alltime faves, and the John Barleycorn album just kicks ass, my 3 and 5 year old daughters dig the shit out of it.  DEFINITELY underrated.

ELO----this band is like Pink Floyd, although they are literally a symphony of sound, and Floyd is like some weird futuristic symphony of sound.  Jeff Lynne is killer.

Beck gets way less love than he should.  A one man dynamo, I still play the shit out of Odelay!

Way Aye Man!  Absolutely dig Knopfler, even Money for Nothing.  There's something to be said for rocking out, being a virtuoso, and yet still writing a catchy enough hook to charm the masses.  I love that song he did about Ray Kroc.....killer licks, Boom Like That.

Brian May got overshadowed by Freddie, but he is a great player.

I'm going to San Bernardino ring-a-ding-ding
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:14 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: I'm going to San Bernardino ring-a-ding-ding

Milkshake mix, yes that's my thing now...... ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Listening to him on a CD is not as impressive as watching him live.  Even if you are not s big fan of his genre you should see him play if you appreciate great guitar work.

I dunno man, Barnyard Blues is pretty damn impressive, live or not......what licks on that track.  Sugarfoot Rag too....

(02-05-2016, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very few people have heard of the band "Aquarium Rescue Unit", but many people have heard of the individual members.  Although the band was never commercially successful, their combination of bluegrass, rock, Latin, jazz, funk, and impeccable chops became a template for future bands.  They were a feature part of the original H.O.R.D.E. Tour in 1992.  There best CD is the the self titled Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit

Col Bruce Hampton....Surrealist poetic genius.  if you have seen the movie Slingblade he played the songwriter/manger of Doyle's band.

Jimmy Herring.....Lead Guitarist for The Allman Brothers.  Also toured with the surviving Grateful Dead members playing lead after Jerry Garcia died as well as many other bands.

Otiel Burbidge......the greatest bass player no one has heard of.  Played for The Allman Brothers and and the band Trey Anastasio formed after Phish broke up.  He has won multiple awards as a bass player and has worked with the biggest names in the business in both jazz and rock.  In 2012 he won a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award.

Great bassist, heard of the rest, love the flick, and big Allman Bros. fan....but never heard of the band.

Reply/Quote
Speaking of Beck, I never hear about Jeff Beck when people discuss the greatest guitar players of all time. Yes, people know the Yardbirds, but that is mostly all talk about Clapton and Paige.

I also don't think enough people have listened to John Frusciante's (RHCP guitarist) solo work. That stuff is on an entirely new level and I like some of it more than RHCP's stuff.

Finally, especially with all the conspiracy stuff that just came out, people don't respect B.o.B.'s old music and mixtapes enough. That dude made some music and everyone just tags him as the crazy guy who had that Airplane song.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: John Barleycorn must die!!!!! Smirk  Love traffic, Dear Mr. Fantasy is one of my alltime faves, and the John Barleycorn album just kicks ass, my 3 and 5 year old daughters dig the shit out of it.  DEFINITELY underrated.

"Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" is my favorite Traffic tune.

I also like "Can't Find My Way Back home", but I am not sure if that was Traffic.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno man, Barnyard Blues is pretty damn impressive, live or not......what licks on that track.  Sugarfoot Rag too....

Great bassist, heard of the rest, love the flick, and big Allman Bros. fan....but never heard of the band.

I saw The Rescue unit Live in some small bar type places, and they were incredible.  They even did a song called "Planet earth" that was named after a small venue in Knoxville.

When I iived in Boulder Colorado my roommate was a great guitar player.  He got Jimmy Herring to come back to our place after a show at the Fox and they jammed in my living room.  That would have been around '92.  I never imagined he would become such a big name.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:22 PM)MrRager Wrote: Speaking of Beck, I never hear about Jeff Beck when people discuss the greatest guitar players of all time. Yes, people know the Yardbirds, but that is mostly all talk about Clapton and Paige.

I also don't think enough people have listened to John Frusciante's (RHCP guitarist) solo work. That stuff is on an entirely new level and I like some of it more than RHCP's stuff.

Finally, especially with all the conspiracy stuff that just came out, people don't respect B.o.B.'s old music and mixtapes enough. That dude made some music and everyone just tags him as the crazy guy who had that Airplane song.

Don't laugh, but who is B.o.B.?

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I saw The Rescue unit Live in some small bar type places, and they were incredible.  They even did a song called "Planet earth" that was named after a small venue in Knoxville.

When I iived in Boulder Colorado my roommate was a great guitar player.  He got Jimmy Herring to come back to our place after a show at the Fox and they jammed in my living room.  That would have been around '92.  I never imagined he would become such a big name.

That would be cool.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Don't laugh, but who is B.o.B.?

Atlanta rapper. Prooooobably a bit past your time. 

This was his big hit a few years ago, but I like a lot of his other stuff. People laugh at me for liking him and some older Chamillionaire.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:44 PM)MrRager Wrote: Atlanta rapper. Prooooobably a bit past your time. 

This was his big hit a few years ago, but I like a lot of his other stuff. People laugh at me for liking him and some older Chamillionaire.

Ok, gotcha....yeah, Wu Tang was probably the last "big thing" I really got into in the rap game, but before them, there is a lot of it I liked.

Showing my age......LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" is my favorite Traffic tune.

I also like "Can't Find My Way Back home", but I am not sure if that was Traffic.
That was Blind Faith--Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, and Ric Grech.  Great song by an all star band.

"Low Spark"--fantastic, and that word probably doesn't do it justice.

Steve Winwood, though thought of mostly on the keys, is also a helluva guitar player.

He wrote "I'm a Man," a great song, at the age of 14 or 15, when he was with Spencer Davis.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" is my favorite Traffic tune.

Good tune for sure.....as for the last one, it's not them, but I'm not sure who it is.

EDIT: looks like McC answered that one.

Reply/Quote
How does Steely Dan fit into all this? I've always loved them and considered them underrated. What think ye?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote