Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
My Argument For Picking Chase Young First
I love Burrow and I think he's the guy, but it is tough to pass on Tua/Herbert + 2 other 1 rounders and possibly even more picks.

I'll be happy either way.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But adjusting to the speed of the game is not the only thing a college QB has to learn.

A rookie QB actually does learn a lot while sitting the first year, but since most top QB prospects go to teams that don't have a good QB the team has nothing to lose by allowing the rookie to "learn on the job".

A lot more rookie QBs start now than thy used to, but you still usually see a big improvement in the second year.

Yep... I expect fairly pedestrian numbers from Burrow this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 05:12 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Then there was Andre Smith and his man boobs flopping in the breeze during his sprints.  Tell me how the Bengals could pick him after seeing that?

Because "Boobs" could flat out play.......

Quote:Smith attended the University of Alabama beginning in 2006. He played for coach Nick Saban's Alabama Crimson Tide football team from 2006 to 2008. In his initial year at Alabama, he started all 13 games at left tackle, becoming only the fourth true freshman offensive lineman to start for the Crimson Tide.[9] Smith played at least 65 snaps in 10 of 13 games and played more than 70 snaps five times, while leading the Crimson Tide with 62 pancake blocks. He also scored a touchdown off of a lateral in the 34–31 Independence Bowl loss against Oklahoma State.[10] Smith earned Freshman All-American honors by the Football Writers Association of America.[11]
In 2007, Smith was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection, after starting every game at the left tackle position.[12] He was named Alabama Co-Player of the Week four times during the season.[12]
Smith was recognized as a unanimous All-American in 2008, as well as the 2008 Outland Trophy winner. He was also considered to be one of the best underclassmen for the 2009 NFL Draft.[13][14] He was also a first-team All-SEC selection and shared the league's Jacobs Blocking Trophy with Arkansas center Jonathan Luigs.[15] He led the team with 103 key knockdowns and added seven blocks downfield. He was penalized just twice and he allowed just one QB sack and six pressures on 334 pass plays.[12]
On December 29, 2008, Smith was suspended from playing in the 2009 Sugar Bowl,[16]—a game Alabama lost 31–17 to the Utah Utes—, reportedly because he dealt with an agent.[17] A few days later, Smith declared himself eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft, and at the time he was considered a lock to be a Top 5 pick.[18]
College awards and honors[edit]
Reply/Quote
Burrow had the greatest year ever for a college QB playing against superior competition.

The only choice is Burrow or 3 first round draft picks plus a bit more.

But please make some other moves to truly improve the o line or LBs besides just relying on the daft and second or third tier free agents.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:28 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I like Joe Burrow and would not be upset if the Bengals picked him first in the draft. However, I still think the Bengals should keep Dalton one more year and pick Chase Young as the top draft pick. The first comment is defense wins championships. Chase is a beast and would secure the defense for many years to come. I guess I am asking for patience in getting a QB later. Being a Buckeye fits right in with the team. Either way the Bengals go would be okay with me.

Well having Dalton next year would guarentee us the #1 again to get Trevor Lawrence.  lol
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:28 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I like Joe Burrow and would not be upset if the Bengals picked him first in the draft. However, I still think the Bengals should keep Dalton one more year and pick Chase Young as the top draft pick. The first comment is defense wins championships. Chase is a beast and would secure the defense for many years to come. I guess I am asking for patience in getting a QB later. Being a Buckeye fits right in with the team. Either way the Bengals go would be okay with me.

Burrow sells hope and tickets. End of story
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 06:43 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Well having Dalton next year would guarentee us the #1 again to get Trevor Lawrence.  lol

Hell having Zac Taylor damn near guarantees it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 05:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: I mean, the reason could be that it's really not about dorky names or manboobs. Just a thought.

Obviously.
The point is players get drafted using the best metrics a team can develop.  But it's no science, far from it, drafting is full of hunches, gambles and a feeling about a guy.  Even the sound of his name or how a guy looks running in shorts.  There is a lot more the later than the sciencey stuff in the NFL draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 06:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because "Boobs" could flat out play.......

Nice history lesson.  Now I have one for you.
Search "Andre Smith, All pro" for a guy drafted #6 you would expect that kind of accomplishment.

Short history.  My man boobs observation was the better metric than all those accolades you listed.
Reply/Quote

If being a Buckeye fit in with the Bengals and Mike Brown then Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Carlos Hyde, Terry McLaurin and many others would have been selected by the Bengals in the draft when they had the chance to.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:40 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Obviously.
The point is players get drafted using the best metrics a team can develop.  But it's no science, far from it, drafting is full of hunches, gambles and a feeling about a guy.  Even the sound of his name or how a guy looks running in shorts.  There is a lot more the later than the sciencey stuff in the NFL draft.

Still, when I can base my opinion either on metrics and data or on a hunch that manboobs are awful or that a name is dorky, I choose the first criteria and declare the latter irrelevant.
Reply/Quote
I've mentioned it before, but it would be intriguing to get Young, then Love, or Eason. That was before both were being mocked in the first round. Both have upside.

I've come around to accepting that Joe is the pick. His combine interview was impeccable, and I really like his cerebral
approach.

I think both are can't miss guys at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Someone forgot to tell Pat Mahomes defense wins championships...

Also, who cares that he was a Buckeye? I want the players that will give the Bengals the best chance to win a Super Bowl, not the ones that played college in Ohio.

He won because KC's defense was a Top 10 defense. He doesn't win without it. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 06:57 PM)jason Wrote: Hell having Zac Taylor damn near guarantees it.

Defense played better the 2nd half the season not to mention AJ Green should be back. There is no guarantee of a#1 overall pick. 

If we stuck with Andy I'd love to make a bet that we win over 5 games. Thank God that isn't going to happen though. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:02 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: He won because KC's defense was a Top 10 defense. He doesn't win without it. 

This is true, football is a team sport.  It takes all players and respective units on a team to work together, committed to the common goal of winning a Championship.  However, having a fantastic talent at QB does give a leg up to the entire offense, as that position is most capable of elevating those around them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is true, football is a team sport.  It takes all players and respective units on a team to work together, committed to the common goal of winning a Championship.  However, having a fantastic talent at QB does give a leg up to the entire offense, as that position is most capable of elevating those around them.

I mentioned this earlier but to piggyback off your post... Having a franchise QB keeps your defense off the field and fresh for the 2nd half. 

I'm not saying KC Defense isn't good but having the energy to finish the game pays dividends. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:28 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I mentioned this earlier but to piggyback off your post... Having a franchise QB keeps your defense off the field and fresh for the 2nd half. 

I'm not saying KC Defense isn't good but having the energy to finish the game pays dividends. 

It's part of the successful team dynamic.  One unit feeds off of the other, all involved draw energy from the momentum.  And while that is true, so is the notion that states;  Winning is an attitude that begins with a commitment from the ownership, and resonates throughout every being associated with the organization.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:02 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: He won because KC's defense was a Top 10 defense. He doesn't win without it. 

Jimmy G overthrowing Emanuel Sanders in the 4th quarter helped as well.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 04:29 PM)hollodero Wrote:  If this gap isn't all that wide, trading down a few spots and possibly getting two other high picks for it might be a reasonable way to go.

You have to ask yourself if the gap isn't that wide, then why would any other team trade away all those extra high picks instead of just taking Tua or Herbert themselves.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:47 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Nice history lesson.  Now I have one for you.
Search "Andre Smith, All pro" for a guy drafted #6 you would expect that kind of accomplishment.

Short history.  My man boobs observation was the better metric than all those accolades you listed.

Andre Smith wasone of the top RTs in the league in 13 and 14.  It would be stupid to passon a player like that just because he had flappy man boobs.
Reply/Quote