Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-24-2021, 12:23 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: We're going to get crucified either way. Just be ready for it.

OH, I know. I can build you one hell of a case for Chase. The biggest part of me WANTS to take Pitts or Chase. I can build a case for Pitts, too. But there is a case to be made for Sewell. It's a more conservative approach, and it's the one the Bengals are likely to take. More likely than Chase or Pitts? I don't know. Just a feeling. But then I walso have a feeling that the Falcons take Sewell, leaving us with the choice of Pitts or Chase, in which case I think they'd go Chase. 

That would be the best thing to happen to this fan base honestly. 

"Whoops, sorry, no way we could take Sewell. Enjoy Chase"

Hell, who am I kidding, half the board would still melt down "How couldn't you trade up one spot to secure Sewell instead of sitting there waiting and having to take Chase"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The fact that all the top corners asked about who was the best receiver they covered in college all said Ja'Marr Chase kinda makes the argument for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 05:14 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Or was it the other way around?

None of those guys were first rounders.  Two went undrafted and two went in rounds that don’t exist anymore.  Even Larry Allen was a third round guy.

2nd, but I see your point.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:28 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: That would be the best thing to happen to this fan base honestly. 

"Whoops, sorry, no way we could take Sewell. Enjoy Chase"

Hell, who am I kidding, half the board would still melt down "How couldn't you trade up one spot to secure Sewell instead of sitting there waiting and having to take Chase"

Not me. I know the cost of trading up.

Now if Sewell was off the board, I'd probably rather trade down for Slater...but I'd certainly feel way less salty about taking Chase.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 11:41 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't think we'd hear for years if Chase tears it up. We took John Ross one spot ahead of Patrick Mahommes and i don't hear that mentioned too often. In order to hear about Chase he'd have to do what Mahommes does and make his team a superbowl contender every year and not even Calvin Johnson could do that. 

We’ve been hearing about how we should have taken Metcalf instead of Sample for 2 years now...

I don’t think we’ll get “Penei Sewell is a bum” threads if we take him though lol. We’re getting a great player no matter what next week.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve been hearing about how we should have taken Metcalf instead of Sample for 2 years now...

I don’t think we’ll get “Penei Sewell is a bum” threads if we take him though lol. We’re getting a great player no matter what next week.

I didn't know Metcalf was on the board when we took sample. I knew it was a bad pick for the obvious reason that we could've gotten him much later so I knew there was probably still some big names that we could've drafted instead. Wow imagine if we had boyd, metcalf and higgins. I guess thats the argument for Chase though.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve been hearing about how we should have taken Metcalf instead of Sample for 2 years now...

Yeah they're both stud prospects, and I don't think either will "bust" at all.

I just feel like the floor is pretty high for both. Ceiling too, obviously.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I don'tsee it. Reading a bunch of articles on the Athletic recently. They have been covering the draft and different prospects with interviews from NFL scouts and coaches. It isn't all roses with Sewell. I agree with one o line coach's assesment: Potential to be an elite guard or an ok OT. A lot... a LOT of NFL personnel interviews are less than over the moon on Sewell's prospects at OT. Same with Slater.

Time will tell. I don't mind putting it out there that I think Sewell is more guard material than anything else. Let the record state!

They're all going to be choking on their stupid words. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 07:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're all going to be choking on their stupid words. 

Time will tell!
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 08:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: People are stuck on tackle, but this team also needs help on the interior. A guy like Wyatt Davis starts immediately, is a good scheme fit and brings a mauler presence to the run game as well. 

B.S.  Half of the top ten picks bust, but a player passed up 37 times is going to become an instant dominant starter?
Billy price dominated in college, he was a mauler.
Jonah was dominant in college, wtf has he shown in the nfl?  In the limited snaps he has played,, he is a below average  .
Build the line with someone who was judged as the best lineman in.college football at 19 yrs of age.  Double dip on the line in rd. 2.
Make the line the strength of the team, and see how far the crown jewel will take them, that’s what good organizations do.
It really is that simple.

How did Mayfield go from being another bust in Cleveland, to a top 10  Qb?

Who was the best receiver on the last 10 Super Bowl winning teams?  Hint, not a single ***** one was drafted in the top ten.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:35 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: Jonah was dominant in college, wtf has he shown in the nfl?  In the limited snaps he has played,, he is a below average  .
Eh? On what do you base this assertion?
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to re-state my arguments for Sewell.  All I am going to say is that I want him, but I won't be upset if we take Chase as long as we go O-line at #38.

I'm kind of the same only prefer Chase at #5.  Won't at all be disappointed with Sewell because we need the OL help badly.

Somehow we need to find 2 starters out of those first 2 picks.  Whatever is the best way to accomplish that I'm good with.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:27 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We have time for players to develop. We aren't doing anything this year no matter who we draft. Best case scenario we go .500 ( or close since that's no longer possible ) and I have a very hard time seeing that happening. If we get thru this year with a healthy Joe Burrow, some signs of legitimate progress and an offensive line that is set at least on paper. That would be huge and a chance to get the pieces in place in next years draft to have success.

It's still possible to go .500.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:35 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: B.S.  Half of the top ten picks bust, but a player passed up 37 times is going to become an instant dominant starter?
Billy price dominated in college, he was a mauler.
Jonah was dominant in college, wtf has he shown in the nfl?  In the limited snaps he has played,, he is a below average  .
Build the line with someone who was judged as the best lineman in.college football at 19 yrs of age.  Double dip on the line in rd. 2.
Make the line the strength of the team, and see how far the crown jewel will take them, that’s what good organizations do.
It really is that simple.

How did Mayfield go from being another bust in Cleveland, to a top 10  Qb?

Who was the best receiver on the last 10 Super Bowl winning teams?  Hint, not a single ***** one was drafted in the top ten.

That last comment is a weak take. Considering “most” SB teams don’t draft in the top half of the round... I’d be willing to bet that less than 10% of the top 10 picks over the last 10 years (a pool of 100 players) have won a Super Bowl. Without looking Patrick mahomes comes to mind, otherwise I’d have to look.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:12 AM)SladeX Wrote: It's still possible to go .500.

17 game season. Your either 8-9 or 9-8.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:55 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: 17 game season. Your either 8-9 or 9-8.

8-8-1
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 10:00 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 8-8-1

Okay thats a good point. 
Reply/Quote
I want the pick to be right. A great player, plays at a high level for 10 years. Whoever that is. I will be yelling in happiness whoever we draft in the first
Reply/Quote
I vote for Sewell, but I don't think we can go wrong with either.
Reply/Quote
I really like Chase and would be happy to see him in stripes. The part of me that wants to see him drafted is the same part that wants to buy a new giant flat screen before I fix my uneven slab. It would no doubt be fun to have the guy, and I think he's very likely to live up to the hype. Unfortunately, when you draft him, you continue to leave the structural problems on this team to be kicked down the road later. The o-line issues aren't new, and one Reilly Reiff will not fix them, particularly in the long term.

Repair the foundation, secure it long term. You (hopefully) won't have a shot at a prospect of this caliber after this year if the team is even halfway decent.

As far as talk of Sewell having flaws, I take this with a grain of salt. You can dissect any prospect to the point where you don't like them. Don't overthink it. Sewell has the size, athleticism, and the mentality in droves. All the stuff you can't teach. If he's even 80 percent of his projections, he's a 20 mil a year player on his second deal. Get him.
Reply/Quote