Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
Everyone is forgetting TATE will be back, he'll make AJ's departure seem like it never happened.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:44 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Everyone is forgetting TATE will be back, he'll make AJ's departure seem like it never happened.

AJ was already departed last year.

Tate would have a hard time doing any worse, although a 2nd round pick would be a massive upgrade, most likely.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 11:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Simply put, a WR like Chase can and most likely will mean Burrow doesn't have to hold the ball as long, (especially since teams will be covering him, Higgins and Boyd), which means the Oline doesn't have to block as long. We could get Sewell and that fixes maybe one position on an iffy line, and then Burrow has to hold the ball longer, so the line has more chance to fail. It's the chicken/egg argument.

Based on your logic Chase only helps if you never want to throw the ball down the field.

What is the point of drafting a deep threat if you never throw the ball deep?
Reply/Quote
If the Falcons take Chase and trade Julio...the Bengals can not take Sewel for him to sit all year waiting to back up at tackle. I AM SO TIRED OF THE BENGALS FIRST ROUND PICKS NOT PLAYING 16 games.. Eifert got close a long while ago, and it haven't happened since. W

Whoever they take at 5, he has to start and play right away!!!!!!!!!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:02 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: If the Falcons take Chase and trade Julio...the Bengals can not take Sewel for him to sit all year waiting to back up at tackle. I AM SO TIRED OF THE BENGALS FIRST ROUND PICKS NOT PLAYING 16 games.. Eifert got close a long while ago, and it haven't happened since. W

Sewell. Won't. Be. Sitting. Behind. Anyone.

Tbh, if the ONLY choice was to play Sewell at LT, he'd start over Jonah. He's just a better player.

And that's not the only choice, so this is all moot.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Bengals will trade back with QB needy Denver at 9 and get a 1st in 2022. Bengals select Slater or Darrisaw with 9th pick, whoever falls to them. Mark it down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love the beat writers who are on team Chase assume a quality offensive lineman will be available in round 2. (Example Leatherwood). After this unaddressed FA concerning the OL, do they really want to take the chance?
Reply/Quote
If we had signed more FA OL help this offseason, I would feel better about Chase.
TBS, I can see the Chase/Pitts scenarios re opening up the offense working magnificently, or failing miserably. Same with taking Sewell, as he certainly does have question marks surrounding him, and I would feel better about taking him had we addressed WR a little bit in FA.
And I think I've hit on something here: the angst were all feeling regarding the draft is directly attributable to the failure of the FO to fully address either position in FA. Even though I am team sewell, the fact that we picked up Reiff makes taking Chase a bit more palatable to me.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:45 PM)SladeX Wrote: If we had signed more FA OL help this offseason, I would feel better about Chase.
TBS, I can see the Chase/Pitts scenarios re opening up the offense working magnificently, or failing miserably.  Same with taking Sewell, as he certainly does have question marks surrounding him, and I would feel better about taking him had we addressed WR a little bit in FA.
And I think I've hit on something here: the angst were all feeling regarding the draft is directly attributable to the failure of the FO to fully address either position in FA. Even though I am team sewell, the fact that we picked up Reiff makes taking Chase a bit more palatable to me.

I was thinking about that earlier.  If I had any trust in their competence this would not be an issue, get Chase, then find that plug in O-lineman later.  But I don't have that trust.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
We just have more holes than a draft can fix.

1) OL. Need at least two. Jonah, XSF, Hopkins, Spain, Reiff is decent. No one is outstanding. Hopkins is coming off an ACL. Jordan, Johnson, and Price are 1 snap away from being in there. Not sure Adeniji is much better.

Personally, I'd go high end tackle in R1 (Sewell or Slater) and another IOL in Rd 2 or Rd 3. Humphrey or Meinerz in Rd 2.

2) WR. Need two. We need a WR1 with deep speed to replace AJ. We also need a PR/KR jitterbug type to backup Boyd in the slot (Erickson's role).

A lot of the top WRs (after Chase & Bateman) are slot types (Smith, both Moore's, the kid from Louisville).

I think the top 3 picks should be: 1 WR + 2 OL.

We obviously have needs on D. LB, a pass rusher, DT depth. But not a ton of top end defensive guys I do not think. Likely defense (and a kicker) on Day 3.

Dream scenario:

1) Trade down.

The 49ers take Mac Jones. No matter what the Falcons do, a team in love with Fields/Lance overpays to trade up. Either we don't go down that far (say 8 with Carolina) or we do like Miami did and spend some of our picks to move back into the top 8 (say Detroit at 7).

We end up with Sewell + at least an extra 2nd this year + some future capital (2nd or 3rd). We use that extra capital to either move into the late first to get Bateman or trade for Julio. Land Meinerz/Humphrey with highest remaining pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:02 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: If the Falcons take Chase and trade Julio...the Bengals can not take Sewel for him to sit all year waiting to back up at tackle. I AM SO TIRED OF THE BENGALS FIRST ROUND PICKS NOT PLAYING 16 games.. Eifert got close a long while ago, and it haven't happened since. W

Why would he sit?

We need at least a tackle and a guard.

We have reiff and jonah. Both are good enough to play either tackle, or kick in to guard. And who knows if jonah will even play this year.

We take a tackle in the first, that gives us whoever we pick starting across from reiff or jonah, with the other of those two moving in to play guard. Bam, pretty good line. And if one of those three gets injured, we have some flexibility.

Personally, I'd be stoked if we traded back a few spots, got a top tackle and were able to use the extra pick to go guard and receiver in the second.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 03:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We just have more holes than a draft can fix.

1) OL. Need at least two. Jonah, XSF, Hopkins, Spain, Reiff is decent. No one is outstanding. Hopkins is coming off an ACL. Jordan, Johnson, and Price are 1 snap away from being in there. Not sure Adeniji is much better.

Personally, I'd go high end tackle in R1 (Sewell or Slater) and another IOL in Rd 2 or Rd 3. Humphrey or Meinerz in Rd 2.

2) WR. Need two. We need a WR1 with deep speed to replace AJ. We also need a PR/KR jitterbug type to backup Boyd in the slot (Erickson's role).

A lot of the top WRs (after Chase & Bateman) are slot types (Smith, both Moore's, the kid from Louisville).

I think the top 3 picks should be: 1 WR + 2 OL.

We obviously have needs on D. LB, a pass rusher, DT depth. But not a ton of top end defensive guys I do not think. Likely defense (and a kicker) on Day 3.

Dream scenario:

1) Trade down.

The 49ers take Mac Jones. No matter what the Falcons do, a team in love with Fields/Lance overpays to trade up. Either we don't go down that far (say 8 with Carolina) or we do like Miami did and spend some of our picks to move back into the top 8 (say Detroit at 7).

We end up with Sewell + at least an extra 2nd this year + some future capital (2nd or 3rd). We use that extra capital to either move into the late first to get Bateman or trade for Julio. Land Meinerz/Humphrey with highest remaining pick.

The thing about the WR class is that it has the top heavy part with Bateman, Waddle and Chase. Then you have some slot guys, but there is so much talent in mid to late rounds for a 3rd WR that plays the boundary and can develop.

I've pimped Dymai Brown like no other and still think he will be a top 3 WR from this class.

Later I like Sage Surratt, Armon Ra - St. Brown, Cornell Powell (From Clemson!!!), Tylan Wallace, Nico Collins, Seth Williams, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Josh Palmer, Simi Fehoko, and Damonte Coxie.

If the team was in desperate need of a #1 WR then I get the hype for Chase but I see Higgins and Boyd as being more then capable of carrying the load. The talk is we need a guy for big plays, who plays outside and takes the top off a defense. Lots of guys I listed above can do that, and the best part is they will be later rounds and can develop into something special.

Dyami Brown - Brown is a terrific athlete and vertical route-runner that excels at getting deep where his burst to the football and ball skills led to big plays down the field.

Nico Collins - On the field, Collins is a big-play threat vertically down the field that pairs very good vertical speed with excellent ball skills. 

Tylan Wallace - Aligning mostly as the Z receiver predominantly to the right side only, Wallace has been a prolific option in the team's offense. Wallace’s talents were a bit hidden as a route-runner due to the fixated approach of required routes within the scheme, but he’s been able to show off his unique hand-eye coordination specifically at the catch point. Ideal Fit: Starting Z WR. (exactly what we need).

Ihmir Smith-Marsette - Smith-Marsette brings ample speed, return skills, and vertical receiving to the game. He’s a graceful runner with easy speed and is at his best when he’s charged with stacking defenders vertically. Ideal Role: Traditional Z-receiver.

And two of my other hidden gem favorites:

Simi Fehoko - Fehoko is a big-play threat whenever his number is called. He has a big frame with an exceptional catch radius for the position. He plays with a competitive streak and is physically tough at the catch point. He has some straight-line speed that has helped him get separation on 9 routes. 

Cornell Powell - Buried on the depth chart, Clemson wide receiver Cornell Powell did not catch more than 15 passes in any season from 2016-2019 but exploded onto the scene in 2020 when he hauled in 53 receptions for 882 yards and seven touchdowns. He truly shined when DJ Uiagalelei started in place of Trevor Lawrence and he averaged more than 120 receiving yards per game over the final six games of the season. His chemistry with Uiagalelei carried over to when Lawrence returned to the lineup and he had one of his personal best games of the season against Ohio State in the College Football Playoff. In a limited sample size, Powell had many exciting flashes when it came to route-running, hands, ball skills, and the ability to win after the catch. The concern with Powell really stems from a limited sample size and why it took him five years at Clemson to make any sort of impact. Powell is an intriguing developmental option that is an ascending talent based on how he produced in 2020. 

If we can walk away from this draft with say Sewell, Marshall Jr or Dyami Brown, then Meinerz in round 3 and target Fehoko or Powell in round 5 or 6, it is an absolute homerun of a draft no matter who they take in 4, 5, the other 6th and 7th.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:17 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Bengals will trade back with QB needy Denver at 9 and get a 1st in 2022. Bengals select Slater or Darrisaw with 9th pick, whoever falls to them. Mark it down.

I like this plan as well, if that happens. I would guess the Bengals would get a bit of a haul there, including a 2nd rounder.

My dream draft would then be: 1- Slater, 2A- Freiermuth, 2B- RB Harris or Ettien, 3- Palmer
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I like this plan as well, if that happens. I would guess the Bengals would get a bit of a haul there, including a 2nd rounder.

My dream draft would then be: 1- Slater, 2A- Freiermuth, 2B- RB Harris or Ettien, 3- Palmer

Why the RB in round 2?

The team seems to think Perrine is ready for a bigger role and they are paying a ton to Mixon.

That 2B would be a great spot for a Basham or Freiermuth if they took a WR at 2A.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why the RB in round 2?

The team seems to think Perrine is ready for a bigger role and they are paying a ton to Mixon.

That 2B would be a great spot for a Basham or Freiermuth if they took a WR at 2A.

I am not sure Mixon can hold up to an entire season. He's had 4 years to do so and has missed nearly a full season's worth of games (14) out of 4. If you could get Derrick Henry in the 2nd round of any draft, would you do it? I would, yes.

If they cannot get a sure thing, blue chip, dynamic WR - None will be there in the 2nd, let's be honest. I would rather see them pound the rock this year and become a more clock control offense. I wouldn't hate taking another O lineman at the 4th or with an extra 3rd in this scenario, either. Just get big and nasty and go about it that way. The late rounds have some bigger project WRs that run really well. The kid from Charlotte and the other from Colorado State look interesting late.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:18 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I am not sure Mixon can hold up to an entire season. He's had 4 years to do so and has missed nearly a full season's worth of games (14) out of 4. If you could get Derrick Henry in the 2nd round of any draft, would you do it? I would, yes.

If they cannot get a sure thing, blue chip, dynamic WR - None will be there in the 2nd, let's be honest. I would rather see them pound the rock this year and become a more clock control offense. I wouldn't hate taking another O lineman at the 4th or with an extra 3rd in this scenario, either. Just get big and nasty and go about it that way. The late rounds have some bigger project WRs that run really well. The kid from Charlotte and the other from Colorado State look interesting late.

I love several of the late round WRs to come in and be developmental and actually impress. Powell from Clemson is one of my favorites and Simi Fehoko from Stanford is another. Both I think will be really good pros after a year or two of development.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 02:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: I love the beat writers who are on team Chase assume a quality offensive lineman will be available in round 2. (Example Leatherwood). After this unaddressed FA concerning the OL, do they really want to take the chance?

They addressed OL better in FA than they did WR.
At WR, all they did was re-sign Thomas.
At OL, they re-signed Spain and replaced Hart with Reiff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They addressed OL better in FA than they did WR.

Thats hardly addressing the OL, one pickup and a re-sign to this shit line we have.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They addressed OL better in FA than they did WR.

At WR they got rid of John Ross, that is addition by subtraction.  Smirk Smirk

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats hardly addressing the OL, one pickup and a re-sign to this shit line we have.

And OL wont be fixed with only taking a first round pick. 
Reply/Quote