Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-26-2021, 04:50 PM)Beaker Wrote: And OL wont be fixed with only taking a first round pick. 

no it wont, they need to start with that and quite frankly take Leatherwood in round 2 also if hes available.

If this draft class is so deep in OL then take advantage of it...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats hardly addressing the OL, one pickup and a re-sign to this shit line we have.

It's still more than they did at WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 04:50 PM)Beaker Wrote: And OL wont be fixed with only taking a first round pick. 

However. the WR position would be (assuming everyone is healthy).

I think they absolutely need a T & a G, but they don't have to be first rounders to be super good.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The fact that all the top corners asked about who was the best receiver they covered in college all said Ja'Marr Chase kinda makes the argument for me.

Those corners played in the conference that has a wide pipeline of talent to the NFL., the SEC.
To me Chase or Pitts is the conservative safe choice. Gil Bryant says Sewell is Jonathon Ogden reincarnated. If I believed him Sewell is the safe pick. The arguments for and against each is persuasive which means putting three cards in a hat with each name on a card then a blind draw is a fair way to pick. Maybe this is how the Bengals have operated.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 07:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This sums up my thoughts......

The Bengals have already addressed the Tackle position for 2021. This idea that the franchise is doomed if they pass on Sewell in Round 1 to add a dynamic play-maker in Chase is ridiculous. You can find a really good interior lineman in Round 2.

And you can say the same for WR, we are not doomed passing Chase but after last season and the possibility of having 3/4 of 5 starters from last year line more doom on passing on a oline in 1st round
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 03:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We just have more holes than a draft can fix.

1) OL. Need at least two. Jonah, XSF, Hopkins, Spain, Reiff is decent. No one is outstanding. Hopkins is coming off an ACL. Jordan, Johnson, and Price are 1 snap away from being in there. Not sure Adeniji is much better.

Personally, I'd go high end tackle in R1 (Sewell or Slater) and another IOL in Rd 2 or Rd 3. Humphrey or Meinerz in Rd 2.

2) WR. Need two. We need a WR1 with deep speed to replace AJ. We also need a PR/KR jitterbug type to backup Boyd in the slot (Erickson's role).

A lot of the top WRs (after Chase & Bateman) are slot types (Smith, both Moore's, the kid from Louisville).

I think the top 3 picks should be: 1 WR + 2 OL.

We obviously have needs on D. LB, a pass rusher, DT depth. But not a ton of top end defensive guys I do not think. Likely defense (and a kicker) on Day 3.

Dream scenario:

1) Trade down.

The 49ers take Mac Jones. No matter what the Falcons do, a team in love with Fields/Lance overpays to trade up. Either we don't go down that far (say 8 with Carolina) or we do like Miami did and spend some of our picks to move back into the top 8 (say Detroit at 7).

We end up with Sewell + at least an extra 2nd this year + some future capital (2nd or 3rd). We use that extra capital to either move into the late first to get Bateman or trade for Julio. Land Meinerz/Humphrey with highest remaining pick.

I really don't think this is accurate.  Of course there's a ways to go before this team is a super bowl contender, but were are they truly missing a guy that is a decent NFL starter?

Burrow, Mixon, Higgins, Boyd are all good starters.  When healthy, Uzomah was one as well.  We could definitely use 1 WR, probably 2, but that's not going to hold us back.

Jonah, Reiff, Hopkins, Spain were all decent guys.  XSF was TBD.  We could definitely use another IOL with Hopkins coming off an ACL.

Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, OBjjwf are a decent starting line.  Tupoa is a nice backup NG.

The linebackers are young, but Wilson, ADG, Pratt are decent.

The secondary is filled with strong guys,

The reality is that we aren't that far away if Burrow is the guy we think he is.  We need to add some top tier athletes in the draft,
Reply/Quote
Just saying

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31340786/seven-women-sue-lsu-allege-violations-how-title-ix-complaints-were-handled
Quote:According to the 118-page document, the women attended the Baton Rouge campus at some point from 2013 to 2021, and "were victims of sex-based discrimination, including rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, and/or stalking, perpetrated by male LSU students."
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I stopped reading the OP after 3. Seriously, we won't be able to afford Chase and Tee because it's too much money at one position group, but we will be able to resign Sewell and Jonah? Jonah and Tee will be UFA's at the same time because of the 5th year option for Jonah. Not being able to afford both is not the same as preferring to pay for 2 T's instead of 2 WR's.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just saying

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31340786/seven-women-sue-lsu-allege-violations-how-title-ix-complaints-were-handled

So are we taking every LSU guy off our board and trading Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 09:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: So are we taking every LSU guy off our board and trading Burrow?

Sure,,that's exactly what I said.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 09:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I stopped reading the OP after 3. Seriously, we won't be able to afford Chase and Tee because it's too much money at one position group, but we will be able to resign Sewell and Jonah? Jonah and Tee will be UFA's at the same time because of the 5th year option for Jonah. Not being able to afford both is not the same as preferring to pay for 2 T's instead of 2 WR's.

I said I wouldn't respond, but since you insist on being disrespectful in your reply, I guess I'll respond one time. A back and forth with you can go on til draft day, so this is only to clarify that one point that you selected to pick at.

Imo, teams don't often pay a star QB and a pair of high priced WRs. If you can give me several current examples, I'll stand corrected. Until then, your snarky dismissal is just more of you campaigning for Chase.

On the other hand, teams commonly pay 2 tackles.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 02:02 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I said I wouldn't respond, but since you insist on being disrespectful in your reply, I guess I'll respond one time. A back and forth with you can go on til draft day, so this is only to clarify that one point that you selected to pick at.

Imo, teams don't often pay a star QB and a pair of high priced WRs. If you can give me several current examples, I'll stand corrected. Until then, your snarky dismissal is just more of you campaigning for Chase.

I think we're getting to caught up when we're worrying about who we can pay 5 years down the line. The short answer is... Not all of them.

The Seattle Seahawks won a Super Bowl, and should've won 2 of em with a QB on a rookie deal. They couldn't keep that Legion of Boom defense in tact AND still pay Russell Wilson what was gonna be due. They kept Wilson, the defense was slowly dismantled, and their days as true contenders were over... But it worked.

It doesn't matter because they had him on that cheap deal (like we have Burrow). They got that ring though by living in the monement and assembling the best team they could during that stretch. I'm excited for Thursday because we're gonna get a guy that's gonna improve our team (offensively) any way it goes.

Edit: My post was actually directed at the post you quoted. Long day...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 02:02 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I said I wouldn't respond, but since you insist on being disrespectful in your reply, I guess I'll respond one time. A back and forth with you can go on til draft day, so this is only to clarify that one point that you selected to pick at.

Teams currently paying 2 WR's $15+ mil APY

Browns
Buccaneers

Teams currently paying 2 WR's $10+ mil APY

Giants
Rams
Dolphins

Teams currently paying 2 OT's $15+ mil APY

none

Teams currently paying 2 OT's $10+ mil APY

Broncos
Cowboys

I will apologize for being snarky, but your statement is obviously untrue.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 02:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: Teams currently paying 2 WR's $15+ mil APY

Browns
Buccaneers

Teams currently paying 2 WR's $10+ mil APY

Giants
Rams
Dolphins

Teams currently paying 2 OT's $15+ mil APY

none

Teams currently paying 2 OT's $10+ mil APY

Broncos
Cowboys

I will apologize for being snarky, but your statement is obviously untrue.

^That is actually incredibly interesting. I think that displays the importance of weapons with opening up the run game and preventing sacks. I am surprised to see the Browns are paying that much. 
Reply/Quote
This entire debate will end up moot when the pick ends up with a torn Achilles in training camp.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just saying

Wish this had come out about 3 weeks ago. There is no way we find out the potential players involved before the draft. 

If Chase is involved it would be a new way for our first rounder to miss his rookie season. Being on the Commissioner's exempt list.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 03:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Wish this had come out about 3 weeks ago. There is no way we find out the potential players involved before the draft. 

If Chase is involved it would be a new way for our first rounder to miss his rookie season. Being on the Commissioner's exempt list.

If only we had an inside source into the LSU program...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If only we had an inside source into the LSU program...

We do, and I doubt he would have been around that kind of behavior, so I doubt he knows
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We do, and I doubt he would have been around that kind of behavior, so I doubt he knows

He went to school with Chase for 2 years. I’m sure that’s enough time to determine if the kid was capable of being involved in anything like this. It doesn’t sound like it was one or two isolated incidents. Apparently it was several, across multiple sports. And with it being reported that the girls had been coming forward (but nothing was done about it), it’s been a known issue.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He went to school with Chase for 2 years. I’m sure that’s enough time to determine if the kid was capable of being involved in anything like this. It doesn’t sound like it was one or two isolated incidents. Apparently it was several, across multiple sports. And with it being reported that the girls had been coming forward (but nothing was done about it), it’s been a known issue.

If you listen to interviews with Burrow, he didn't come out of his apartment execpt to practice or work out.  Some of the nicest people I know have done some things I would have never guessed.  You just never know what happens,.
Reply/Quote