Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
I'll be happy with Slater Sewell or Chase at round 1. Hoping we get a starter in round 2 though , guard , WR , TE from Penn St be my pick..
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 11:06 AM)samhain Wrote: I really like Chase and would be happy to see him in stripes.  The part of me that wants to see him drafted is the same part that wants to buy a new giant flat screen before I fix my uneven slab.  It would no doubt be fun to have the guy, and I think he's very likely to live up to the hype.  Unfortunately, when you draft him, you continue to leave the structural problems on this team to be kicked down the road later.  The o-line issues aren't new, and one Reilly Reiff will not fix them, particularly in the long term.  

Repair the foundation, secure it long term.  You (hopefully) won't have a shot at a prospect of this caliber after this year if the team is even halfway decent.  

As far as talk of Sewell having flaws, I take this with a grain of salt.  You can dissect any prospect to the point where you don't like them.  Don't overthink it.  Sewell has the size, athleticism, and the mentality in droves.  All the stuff you can't teach.  If he's even 80 percent of his projections, he's a 20 mil a year player on his second deal.  Get him.

Simply put, a WR like Chase can and most likely will mean Burrow doesn't have to hold the ball as long, (especially since teams will be covering him, Higgins and Boyd), which means the Oline doesn't have to block as long. We could get Sewell and that fixes maybe one position on an iffy line, and then Burrow has to hold the ball longer, so the line has more chance to fail. It's the chicken/egg argument.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:40 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That last comment is a weak take. Considering “most” SB teams don’t draft in the top half of the round... I’d be willing to bet that less than 10% of the top 10 picks over the last 10 years (a pool of 100 players) have won a Super Bowl.  Without looking Patrick mahomes comes to mind, otherwise I’d have to look.

Wide receivers are never a important building block, to a rebuild.
Who are the top 10 wrs in the nfl?   In what round were they taken?
The Bengals are a bad team for several reasons, but # 1 is they have had a bottom 3 OL for the last 5 years.
They added the most important piece last year, now fix the second most important piece this year.

Choose a or b.

Kansas City lost the Super Bowl because.

A.  Tampa Bay dc is a genius, and devised a game plan to shut down the most prolific offense in the nfl.

B.  K.C. lost both starting tackles to injury.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 08:35 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Eh? On what do you base this assertion?

PFF.  70.1, ok bottom of the scale for average.  
I don’t dislike Jonah, I think Pollack will help him more than any lineman on the team.
If he stays healthy he can a part of a solid OL.
Reply/Quote
This whole thing has gotten kind of weird because no matter who we choose...we are getting a guy who isn’t just one of the best guys in this draft but arguably one of the best guys at their positions to come out in the last few years. If I told you at 5 we’d get Davante Adam, Darren Waller, or Trent Williams is anyone here really upset no matter who it is? It’s kind of like we are choosing ice cream flavors, no matter what you pick you can’t go wrong because it’s still ice cream and ice cream is great.

People should all relax, Thursday night we are adding an elite player no matter who we take and that is something the Bengals don’t have enough of no matter what position it is.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  So if we're gambling with that round 2 guy, why gamble with the bigger need? 

This in a huge way. In addition, the Bengals have been HORRIBLE with OL picks these past few drafts. Why chance it? We have a glaring need on OL... yeah Chase is the sexy pick, but Sewell is the real pick here. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 02:53 PM)Nickslycat Wrote:  Wide receivers are never a important building block, to a rebuild.
Who are the top 10 wrs in the nfl?   In what round were they taken?
The Bengals are a bad team for several reasons, but # 1 is they have had a bottom 3 OL for the last 5 years.
They added the most important piece last year, now fix the second most important piece this year.

Choose a or b.

Kansas City lost the Super Bowl because.

A.  Tampa Bay dc is a genius, and devised a game plan to shut down the most prolific offense in the nfl.

B.  K.C. lost both starting tackles to injury.

I wouldn't call Tampa's DC a genius, but the reality is that KC played the last 3 games with an average O-line, and look what it did to their offense. That should tell you all you need to know.

They also went out and addressed the line by adding premier guys (Thuney, Brown), not by adding 2-3rd tier talent.  We'll see if it works, but it seems that they place a very high priority on fixing their line because it destroyed their offense,
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: This whole thing has gotten kind of weird because no matter who we choose...we are getting a guy who isn’t just one of the best guys in this draft but arguably one of the best guys at their positions to come out in the last few years. If I told you at 5 we’d get Davante Adam, Darren Waller, or Trent Williams is anyone here really upset no matter who it is? It’s kind of like  we are choosing ice cream flavors, no matter what you pick you can’t go wrong because it’s still ice cream and ice cream is great.

People should all relax, Thursday night we are adding an elite player no matter who we take and that is something the Bengals don’t have enough of no matter what position it is.

Exactly the Bengals could have a choice of the first non-QB to come off the board and all 3 are considered high quality NFL Prospects.

.....My biggest issue about the whole situation is there is no top 3 caliber Edge Rusher in this class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Exactly the Bengals could have a choice of the first non-QB to come off the board and all 3 are considered high quality NFL Prospects.

.....My biggest issue about the whole situation is there is no top 3 caliber Edge Rusher in this class.

Yea that would have made this a lot easier
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 10:00 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 8-8-1

That’s not .500 though. A tie counts as half a win.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 03:02 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: PFF.  70.1, ok bottom of the scale for average.  
I don’t dislike Jonah, I think Pollack will help him more than any lineman on the team.
If he stays healthy he can a part of a solid OL.

That’s actually a really good grade for a guy’s first season playing LT in the NFL. Jedrick Wills had a 61.5 last year for Cleveland for example.

Mekhi Becton (who everyone agrees is a total stud) had a 74.4. But he had Frank Pollack coaching him up. Jonah was stuck with Jim Turner. Jonah also had possibly the worst LG in the league next to him in Jordan. All things considered I thought he played extremely well.

Reply/Quote
I think we get a great player either way. The key will be what we do the rest of the draft. Also no matter what lineman we do draft people have to remember lineman take 2-3 year to be great and then can play 15 years or so at a top level. Wr can come in from day 1 at a high level but most drop off after 10 yrs. You will not be able say a or b is the better pick until year 3 or 4.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s not .500 though. A tie counts as half a win.

half a win and half a loss, holmes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: half a win and half a loss, holmes.

So 8-8-1 wouldn’t be .550?

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So 8-8-1 wouldn’t be .550?

No siree. They would be 8.5 and 8.5

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 07:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No siree. They would be 8.5 and 8.5

Stupid ties.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 07:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Stupid ties.

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fassets0.ordienetworks.co...f=1&nofb=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s actually a really good grade for a guy’s first season playing LT in the NFL. Jedrick Wills had a 61.5 last year for Cleveland for example.

Mekhi Becton (who everyone agrees is a total stud) had a 74.4. But he had Frank Pollack coaching him up. Jonah was stuck with Jim Turner. Jonah also had possibly the worst LG in the league next to him in Jordan. All things considered I thought he played extremely well.

This.

With a goof like Turner coaching players up and having MJ next to him at LG it's actually amazing Jonah did as well as he did. Bad Guard play does drag the Tackle down with it. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:23 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: OH, I know. I can build you one hell of a case for Chase. The biggest part of me WANTS to take Pitts or Chase. I can build a case for Pitts, too. But there is a case to be made for Sewell. It's a more conservative approach, and it's the one the Bengals are likely to take. More likely than Chase or Pitts? I don't know. Just a feeling. But then I walso have a feeling that the Falcons take Sewell, leaving us with the choice of Pitts or Chase, in which case I think they'd go Chase. 

I'm not so sure that an organization that operates out of fear would view taking Sewell as the more conservative approach.  They might be scared of being criticized for missing out on a 1K yard/year receiver and looking incompetent.  They may calculate that if Chase can put up mega yards in a losing season, that it'll at least look like they're drafting well and getting close.  Perhaps they're afraid of pissing off Burrow as well.  Perhaps they view taking Chase and feeding him a ton of catches in garbage time as the least bad, realistic outcome this year.

Even if all of this is nonsense and they're trying to build a long term winner uber alles, taking Sewell is not necessarily conservative.  Trying to piece together a top tier O-line is about the best "weapon" that your team can possibly strive for aside from pursuing a QB.  By trying to lock down one of the 5 spots for the long term, you're actually swinging for the fences moreso than trying to take a skill position player who can play now and put up yards.  Sewell is a "ceiling" guy to boot. If you're a franchise who is looking for a best possible outcome "grand slam", you feed your OL room with high ceiling type guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: This whole thing has gotten kind of weird because no matter who we choose...we are getting a guy who isn’t just one of the best guys in this draft but arguably one of the best guys at their positions to come out in the last few years. If I told you at 5 we’d get Davante Adam, Darren Waller, or Trent Williams is anyone here really upset no matter who it is? It’s kind of like  we are choosing ice cream flavors, no matter what you pick you can’t go wrong because it’s still ice cream and ice cream is great.

Thank you Au165. Drinkin' a brewskie to this...CheersDrunkWasted
Reply/Quote