Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC, SI say Burfict should be banned from football
(10-18-2018, 12:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Would be a shame if someone did a historic review of the "bad blood", and included all of the dirty hits by Steelers versus Bengals, starting clear back with Kimo on Carson's knee and Ward on River's jaw and continuing through to the present day.  While Steeler sympathizers would universally declare it all as just "good hard football", pretty much anyone neutral on the topic might see it a bit lopsided with the Steelers being the culpable organization.

Edit:  Heck, if you really want to take it back to the beginning, start back when Lambert spun Ken Anderson around by his facemask, like a helicopter..

I think the guy's name was Keith Gary?  Here's some pics from earlier in the thread:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-NBC-SI-say-Burfict-should-be-banned-from-football?pid=615384#pid615384   :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:38 AM)McC Wrote: Two games, no penalties.  It seems recent history is squarely on my side.

So recency bias? We could also look at the fact that Burfict was JUST coming off suspension. So I guess thats not recent enough for you. The fact is one way or the other Burfict finds a way to not be on the field. He managed to get suspended for a non-dirty hit reason already this season, but nonetheless he was not available. He is absolutely one of the best backers in the league when he is healthy and not suspended, but the latter seems to happen too often. Hes a fun player to watch, but that shot wasn't necessary. We can argue till the cows come home, but that was an unnecessary position he put himself in. I like Burfict, but the edge he plays with gets him in trouble. Being a smart player isn't much to ask. He can knock 10 players out a game, as long as they are not shots the league is gonna review. If he gets fined or flagged for a sack this season, I am gonna give the man a pass, because these new rules are ridiculous. However, that hit on Brown was one that didn't need to happen. I don't see why asking Burfict to be self aware is a problem...
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:32 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Seems that everyone forgets about the early 70's and how the Steelers were the crybabies because Raiders played so rough.

Oh yeah. I've brought that up on several occasions. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Profootballtalk, who is leading the "ban Burfict" charge, is run by Mike Florio. He grew up in West Virginia and went to Carnegie Mellon University. Goes without saying that he's probably a Steelers fan and obviously biased. Consider the source people.

Burfict is dirty, but he no worse than the numerous Steelers who have collectively been playing dirty against the Bengals since the series began. Bully doesn't like getting back hit in the mouth and now the bully's crying commences. Suspend Burfict a game or two for the latest hit? Ok. Ban him permanently? LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:24 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: So recency bias? We could also look at the fact that Burfict was JUST coming off suspension. So I guess thats not recent enough for you. The fact is one way or the other Burfict finds a way to not be on the field. He managed to get suspended for a non-dirty hit reason already this season, but nonetheless he was not available. He is absolutely one of the best backers in the league when he is healthy and not suspended, but the latter seems to happen too often. Hes a fun player to watch, but that shot wasn't necessary. We can argue till the cows come home, but that was an unnecessary position he put himself in. I like Burfict, but the edge he plays with gets him in trouble. Being a smart player isn't much to ask. He can knock 10 players out a game, as long as they are not shots the league is gonna review. If he gets fined or flagged for a sack this season, I am gonna give the man a pass, because these new rules are ridiculous. However, that hit on Brown was one that didn't need to happen. I don't see why asking Burfict to be self aware is a problem...

I disagree.  It did need to happen.  The Steelers team is a collection of rotten scumbags, from the top on down.  They deserve everything that comes their way and a whole lot more.  It was a border line hit and he got away with it.  Bravo.  It's a tiny piece of payback for broken jaws, necks, concussions, shattered knees, cheap shots, disgraceful TD celebrations, threatening tweets, hair pulling, coaches on the field, fines rescinded...

Every Bengals fan who doesn't stand up and cheer for that hit just ain't been paying attention for forty years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:36 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Profootballtalk, who is leading the "ban Burfict" charge, is run by Mike Florio.  He grew up in West Virginia and went to Carnegie Mellon University.  Goes without saying that he's probably a Steelers fan and obviously biased.  Consider the source people.  

Burfict is dirty, but he no worse than the numerous Steelers who have collectively been playing dirty against the Bengals since the series began.  Bully doesn't like getting back hit in the mouth and now the bully's crying commences. Suspend Burfict a game or two for the latest hit? Ok. Ban him permanently? LOL

Exactly.....and as I have pointed out twice, there is exactly ONE team that cries after every game they face the guy. ONE.  As you say......consider the source here.  Stoolers don't like Burfict, didn't like the Raiders in the 70s....going so far as to call them a "criminal element" of football....and didn't like Jerry Glanville's Oilers.  Gee, I wonder WHY?

Look at the way Chuck Knoll rolled out the crocodile tears....

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/12/31/Noll-Glanville-not-best-of-friends/9994631083600/

http://hughbradyconrad.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-criminal-element-in-nfl-1977.html

THINK people......

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: I disagree.  It did need to happen.  The Steelers team is a collection of rotten scumbags, from the top on down.  They deserve everything that comes their way and a whole lot more.  It was a border line hit and he got away with it.  Bravo.  It's a tiny piece of payback for broken jaws, necks, concussions, shattered knees, cheap shots, disgraceful TD celebrations, threatening tweets, hair pulling, coaches on the field, fines rescinded...

Every Bengals fan who doesn't stand up and cheer for that hit just ain't been paying attention for forty years.

In fairness McC.....I just don't think some of the younger posters here understand just how long that piece of shit organization has been pulling stunts like this.....AND GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT.  Nor do I think they realize that EVERY SINGLE TIME another team or player dished it back to their sorry asses, they cried foul to the media and league.  This is nothing even REMOTELY new.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:23 PM)McC Wrote: You are really missing the point, which is very simple.  There is no more scrutinized player in the league.  The striped assholes watch him like a hawk, just itching to get rid of him.  If there was no flag thrown, it wasn't because they were doing him any favors.  How are you missing that?

There was no flag thrown because the officials missed the call, hence why the NFL is looking at the play involved and assessing if there should be a fine. Believe it or not, officials miss calls sometimes. I know thats hard to grasp... 

Due to his past actions, Vontez Burfict deserves to be scrutinized and put under a microscope. He has earned that reputation. The same thing happened with James Harrison when he was with the Steelers.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think that's the case at all.  It's too simple to ever be misconstrued.  It's hate on Burfict, pure and simple, so stop trying to disguise it or call a spade a diamond.

Oh its absolutely hate on Burfict. I hate seeing him act like an ass clown on the field and hate seeing him suspended. I want him to change his ways so hes not suspended and he can contribute to this team. 

But I guess I should just lean your way? Continue to support this guy and the way he plays and continue to watch him ride pine while hes suspended. Got it. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: I disagree.  It did need to happen.  The Steelers team is a collection of rotten scumbags, from the top on down.  They deserve everything that comes their way and a whole lot more.  It was a border line hit and he got away with it.  Bravo.  It's a tiny piece of payback for broken jaws, necks, concussions, shattered knees, cheap shots, disgraceful TD celebrations, threatening tweets, hair pulling, coaches on the field, fines rescinded...

Do you really have any idea how dumb you sound? Like seriously, any idea? 

What if Burfict would have been suspended? Then would you have felt the same way? 

Drop the whole tough guy mantra and be a sensible, intelligent fan. You're sounding more and more like a Steelers fan everytime you punch the keys on the keyboard. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There was no flag thrown because the officials missed the call, hence why the NFL is looking at the play involved and assessing if there should be a fine. Believe it or not, officials miss calls sometimes. I know thats hard to grasp... 

Due to his past actions, Vontez Burfict deserves to be scrutinized and put under a microscope. He has earned that reputation. The same thing happened with James Harrison when he was with the Steelers.

He was suspended ONE game after a barrage of fines and penalties.  They made rules about that guy....and other Stoolers.

I agree with Harrison though in what he says here.....Ol Rog singles out people and makes an example of them.  That's the argument here.

Here's a timeline, with video.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/18/james-harrison-roger-goodell-fines-history-suspension-al-jazeera-peds-timeline-everything/

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: In fairness McC.....I just don't think some of the younger posters here understand just how long that piece of shit organization has been pulling stunts like this.....AND GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT.  Nor do I think they realize that EVERY SINGLE TIME another team or player dished it back to their sorry asses, they cried foul to the media and league.  This is nothing even REMOTELY new.

I agree with this 100%. 

That still doesnt mean Votez Burfict isnt a dirty player and that he shouldnt clean it up on the field to avoid further suspension or punishment by the league. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: In fairness McC.....I just don't think some of the younger posters here understand just how long that piece of shit organization has been pulling stunts like this.....AND GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT.  Nor do I think they realize that EVERY SINGLE TIME another team or player dished it back to their sorry asses, they cried foul to the media and league.  This is nothing even REMOTELY new.

Boy, did they cry when Turkey Jones about broke Bradshaw's damn neck!!! No love loss between the them and the Browns either....
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: He was suspended ONE game after a barrage of fines and penalties.  They made rules about that guy....and other Stoolers.

I agree with Harrison though in what he says here.....Ol Rog singles out people and makes an example of them.  That's the argument here.

Here's a timeline, with video.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/18/james-harrison-roger-goodell-fines-history-suspension-al-jazeera-peds-timeline-everything/

Can you name me one incident where Vontez Burfict was fined/suspended/or in trouble with the league in which you didn't think it was deserved? 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There was no flag thrown because the officials missed the call, hence why the NFL is looking at the play involved and assessing if there should be a fine. Believe it or not, officials miss calls sometimes. I know thats hard to grasp... 

Did they fine him?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Can you name me one incident where Vontez Burfict was fined/suspended/or in trouble with the league in which you didn't think it was deserved? 

KC Preseason last year.

I'd say that's the only one, though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I want to apologize to my fellow Bengal Fans Muskiesfan and Whofarted for my outbursts. You guys are just like me when it comes to PRO Football and that is we are Bengals Fans! Please accept my apologies and whoever else as well! RASCAL!

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Do you really have any idea how dumb you sound? Like seriously, any idea? 

What if Burfict would have been suspended? Then would you have felt the same way? 

Drop the whole tough guy mantra and be a sensible, intelligent fan. You're sounding more and more like a Steelers fan everytime you punch the keys on the keyboard. 

Sure.  Let's just take it.  If he would have been suspended, it would have been for a worthy cause. If I'm dumb, you're ***** clueless.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: KC Preseason last year.

I'd say that's the only one, though.

That one was questionable. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 02:28 PM)McC Wrote: Sure.  Let's just take it.  If he would have been suspended, it would have been for a worthy cause. If I'm dumb, you're ***** clueless.

More tough guy mantra. 

Let's continue to encourage dirty and suspect play on the field for a "worthy cause" while the trade off being our best defensive player getting suspended. 

Sorry, but to me thats just not worth it. 
Reply/Quote