Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC, SI say Burfict should be banned from football
(10-18-2018, 10:44 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: The problem is calling him out on it or trying to hold him accountable for poor decision making gets everyone riled up.

Then maybe don't do it in a thread that was started because some "experts" want him banned from football altogether.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:42 AM)McC Wrote: While I see how the philosophy of "Once a screwup, always a screwup" is often right on the money, I don't believe it is always true.  On that, we differ.

Believe it or not, we're on the same side. I WANT him to change it up. Just because he didn't get flagged doesn't mean it was the right decision. He could've gotten flagged, suspended, or fined for that hit. Some of that is due to reputation. I just don't agree that not getting flag proves he's cleaned it all up already.

I definitely want you to be right and that he doesn't get in any trouble. I really do. It would be helpful to have him playing 16 games a season. His decision making seems to be a little lacking to me still and that's where we differ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Then maybe don't do it in a thread that was started because some "experts" want him banned from football altogether.

Okay. Whatever you say. I've called him out in several threads and posts and the results are always the same. I didn't call any of these people experts and I don't want him banned. It could happen one day though and that's why he needs to be accountable for his actions. I personally feel a Burfict thread would be the perfect thread to talk about him and call him out, but I was obviously wrong.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:43 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Cry me a river Cry 

When the rest of the league is held to the same standard as Burfict I'll care.  Until then I don't want to hear about anything from the league or media in regards to Burfict.  What he does pales in comparison to what the Steelers have done over the years, constantly using the crown of the helmet as weapons, to the point of putting players out of games or sending them to the OR and out for the year (Keith Rivers, Kevin Huber, list goes on).  And don't compare the hit Burfict had on LeVeon Bell which was a perfect tackle.

Tired of it.  Until the league holds everyone to the same standard I'm glad he's on our team.

For crying out loud, Shazier paralyzed himself using the typical Steeler tactics of leading with the head.  And what do we here from the league?  Crickets..... no what you hear is "poor Shazier, what a tragedy".  And yes it was, but also condemn the action.

I'm probably going to catch crap when I tell you I have zero sympathy for Shazier.. Tragedy? Not quite .. It was intentional and he reaped exactly what he sowed.. In this case sympathy is between sh*t and syphilis.. Closer to syphilis, but still between them . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 06:16 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Honestly, I think both sides of this thread have good points, but I am just sick of Burfict being an unreliable distraction. I get that he keeps it clean on the field, and he has the potential to be a game changer, but all too often is he suspended, hurt, or out of shape. He's a great player when he is right, but he just doesn't get that there is a spotlight and microscope on him. He knows he needs to keep it clean, but he continues to make questionable decisions on the field. I am not sure we should part ways, but I wouldn't mind trading him, if there is any team that sees value in having him on their roster. Jon Gruden seems extra dumb this go around, so maybe that hapless dumpster fire would be interested.

I don't hear anyone pointing out that the alleged "threat" was exactly perpetrated by their safety (Mitchell) said to AJ Green after a disgusting hit Tyler Eifert.   No one said boo about that in the morally upright media mavens.   No one ever called for Mitchell to be banned.   And these were hardly isolated incidents

And before anyone says that they got rid of Mitchell, as if  threats, generally dirty play (holding etc.) and out and out vicious dirty hits (Gio, Rivers, Burfict, K. Anderson and Huber to give an incomplete list) are against their team culture - get real.   They got rid of him years later.  And their team culture has always been vicious and dirty.

But I agree that Burfict appears to be looking for nasty hits to put on people - especially vengeance driven hits.   The guy needs to be focused on getting in shape and not whiffing on tackles instead of taking on the hit man role.

He'll get a lot more fear and a lot less press if he focuses on what he's really really good at.   Stacking, shedding, blocking passing lanes, stopping runners instantly, covering, making interceptions and legitimately intimidating our foes.

But I fear no one will be able to get that through to him.  I've seen his HC, his DC (Guenther) and other players (Eifert for one) discuss these things with him.   He ain't interested in listening or changing.  Mores the pity.   The guy's a stud.
Reply/Quote
This is pathetic bullshit. People arguing and name calling over whether Burfict should be suspended. I'm quite frankly a little ashamed to be associated with some of the members on this board right now.

The bottom line is that he plays 110%, hits hard and goes a little too far sometimes. As for the trash talking, when I played football, it was a constant thing. Burfict is a Bengal, and he's not the only player in the NFL to get a little too physical at times.

Support your team!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:00 AM)3wt Wrote: I don't hear anyone pointing out that the alleged "threat" was exactly perpetrated by their safety (Mitchell) said to AJ Green after a disgusting hit Tyler Eifert.   No one said boo about that in the morally upright media mavens.   No one ever called for Mitchell to be banned.   And these were hardly isolated incidents

And before anyone says that they got rid of Mitchell, as if  threats, generally dirty play (holding etc.) and out and out vicious dirty hits (Gio, Rivers, Burfict, K. Anderson and Huber to give an incomplete list) are against their team culture - get real.   They got rid of him years later.  And their team culture has always been vicious and dirty.

But I agree that Burfict appears to be looking for nasty hits to put on people - especially vengeance driven hits.   The guy needs to be focused on getting in shape and not whiffing on tackles instead of taking on the hit man role.

He'll get a lot more fear and a lot less press if he focuses on what he's really really good at.   Stacking, shedding, blocking passing lanes, stopping runners instantly, covering, making interceptions and legitimately intimidating our foes.

But I fear no one will be able to get that through to him.  I've seen his HC, his DC (Guenther) and other players (Eifert for one) discuss these things with him.   He ain't interested in listening or changing.  Mores the pity.   The guy's a stud.

Exactly right.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:04 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This is pathetic bullshit.  People arguing and name calling over whether Burfict should be suspended.  I'm quite frankly a little ashamed to be associated with some of the members on this board right now.  

The bottom line is that he plays 110%, hits hard and goes a little too far sometimes.  As for the trash talking, when I played football, it was a constant thing.  Burfict is a Bengal, and he's not the only player in the NFL to get a little too physical at times.  

Support your team!

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone say they want him suspended. People are saying it could happen if he continues doing what he's doing. I don't understand how wanting him to make better decisions and be available for a full season makes someone a bad fan.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 09:25 AM)Wyche Wrote:  They would have kicked my ass out of pee wee league if "you're next" is grounds for banishment in the NFL these days.

This is so true.

I played PEE WEE football around 1978 & 1979 and I remember TONS of trash talking.  (Kids & Coaches)

We played a team called Northside K of C and they had an extra tall lean muscled Carlos Dunlap type kid that called himself "The Gooch".

He was bad to the bone on offense and defense and he & his whole team trash talked ruthlessly. Their defensive linemen either casted their forearms or hardened up the forearm padding and would hit us in the head with their forearms as soon as the ball was snapped & until the whistle blew unless they were making a tackle. Some of their players may have been a year or two older than us.

ALL of the teams (including ours) had players trash talking at an X rated level and we were 11 years old.

Saying "you're next" would have gotten a G rating.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:07 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone say they want him suspended. People are saying it could happen if he continues doing what he's doing. I don't understand how wanting him to make better decisions and be available for a full season makes someone a bad fan.

Plenty of people in this thread have stated they want him off the team, or that they’re “done with him” (whatever that means) however.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are here because out punter's neck was broked

We are here because Tyler Eifert was concussed by a head hunting Mike Mitchell when then said to AJ Green "you're next", but it is ok when they say it.

We are here because Shazier knocked out Gio and got a turnover out of it instead of a penalty.

We are here because their assbag former LB and coach was on the field illegally and instigated a fight.

We are here because another assbag coach pulled the hair of a certain Bengal DB that owned their asses.

We are here because a rapist pig of a human being called out the behavior of a player that has never had an off-the-field issue.

Am I missing anything else?  I'm sure there is more.

Oh, there's more.....started in the early 80s:

[Image: ken-stabler-keith-gary.jpg]

[Image: Anderson.jpeg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:07 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone say they want him suspended. People are saying it could happen if he continues doing what he's doing. I don't understand how wanting him to make better decisions and be available for a full season makes someone a bad fan.

I suggest you read back through the entire thread.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Plenty of people in this thread have stated they want him off the team, or that they’re “done with him” (whatever that means) however.

Okay. Fair point. I will admit that I simply skimmed and didn't read every post.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:16 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I suggest you read back through the entire thread.
I'll admit that this must've been my bad. I skimmed most (not all).
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:26 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'll admit that this must've been my bad. I skimmed most (not all).

No problem.  And my post was not aimed at you.  I'm not going to ever call any member here less of a fan.
Reply/Quote
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to keep your posts on the topic at hand, and refrain from personally attacking fellow board members. If I have to pull this car over again? There will be consequences.. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:43 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Cry me a river Cry 

When the rest of the league is held to the same standard as Burfict I'll care.  Until then I don't want to hear about anything from the league or media in regards to Burfict.  What he does pales in comparison to what the Steelers have done over the years, constantly using the crown of the helmet as weapons, to the point of putting players out of games or sending them to the OR and out for the year (Keith Rivers, Kevin Huber, list goes on).  And don't compare the hit Burfict had on LeVeon Bell which was a perfect tackle.

Tired of it.  Until the league holds everyone to the same standard I'm glad he's on our team.

For crying out loud, Shazier paralyzed himself using the typical Steeler tactics of leading with the head.  And what do we here from the league?  Crickets..... no what you hear is "poor Shazier, what a tragedy".  And yes it was, but also condemn the action.

This is the crux of the issue.  It isn't necessarily about "they've done it, don't be like them, two wrongs don't make a right".....it's MORE about the fact that the league has been hyper quiet about the litany of their transgressions.  Guys like Talib and Burfict get suspended and fined, and the NFL does jack shit to these asshats.  There's film of Cody Wallace FISTING a Dolphins linemen FFS.  Also.....no one has addressed my earlier point.....what other teams whine and cry so much about Burfict other than the Stoolers?  

(10-18-2018, 10:49 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Okay. Whatever you say. I've called him out in several threads and posts and the results are always the same. I didn't call any of these people experts and I don't want him banned. It could happen one day though and that's why he needs to be accountable for his actions. I personally feel a Burfict thread would be the perfect thread to talk about him and call him out, but I was obviously wrong.

No, you're right to give your opinion, and yours is not without merit.  I agree there IS a SELF INFLICTED bullseye on him.  That said, he has cleaned it up a lot from the days of nut sack tapping, and ankle twisting....although Pig Pen HAS done that just recently, and not a damn thing was said.  THAT is the issue at hand here.  Now these same douchebags want him banned.  That's just ridiculous.

(10-18-2018, 11:00 AM)3wt Wrote: I don't hear anyone pointing out that the alleged "threat" was exactly perpetrated by their safety (Mitchell) said to AJ Green after a disgusting hit Tyler Eifert.   No one said boo about that in the morally upright media mavens.   No one ever called for Mitchell to be banned.   And these were hardly isolated incidents

Well said, and on point.

(10-18-2018, 11:04 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This is pathetic bullshit.  People arguing and name calling over whether Burfict should be suspended.  I'm quite frankly a little ashamed to be associated with some of the members on this board right now.  

The bottom line is that he plays 110%, hits hard and goes a little too far sometimes.  As for the trash talking, when I played football, it was a constant thing.  Burfict is a Bengal, and he's not the only player in the NFL to get a little too physical at times.  

Support your team!

Trash talk IS a part of the game, always has been, always will be.  I just find it utterly pathetic that the dirtiest team in the league is crying foul.

(10-18-2018, 11:07 AM)depthchart Wrote: This is so true.

I played PEE WEE football around 1978 & 1979 and I remember TONS of trash talking.  (Kids & Coaches)

We played a team called Northside K of C and they had an extra tall lean muscled Carlos Dunlap type kid that called himself "The Gooch".

He was bad to the bone on offense and defense and he & his whole team trash talked ruthlessly. Their defensive linemen either casted their forearms or hardened up the forearm padding and would hit us in the head with their forearms as soon as the ball was snapped & until the whistle blew unless they were making a tackle. Some of their players may have been a year or two older than us.

ALL of the teams (including ours) had players trash talking at an X rated level and we were 11 years old.

Absolutely.  I've been subjected to exactly the same things you're talking about as well.  We just remembered and dished them some of their own medicine the next time we met.  Don't start none, won't be none.

I was ejected from a middle school game one time.  A defender hit our QB after he threw the ball, then literally sat on top of him and gut punched him.  I caught it out of the corner of my eye, and ran over and knocked his ass off of my QB.  I got tossed.....but so did he.  I had no problem with the dual ejection.  What I would have had a problem with is if I got tossed and the other cat didn't.  That seems to be the way this plays out.  Burfict gets suspensions.....Stoolers get fines that get rescinded when the dust settles. Whatever

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: No problem.  And my post was not aimed at you.  I'm not going to ever call any member here less of a fan.

Me either.  Opinions differ, but we're all fans, or we wouldn't be here.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:07 AM)depthchart Wrote: This is so true.

Good gawd, what were you  playing against, a prison team with harden criminal 11 year olds?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: This is the crux of the issue.  It isn't necessarily about "they've done it, don't be like them, two wrongs don't make a right".....it's MORE about the fact that the league has been hyper quiet about the litany of their transgressions.  Guys like Talib and Burfict get suspended and fined, and the NFL does jack shit to these asshats.  There's film of Cody Wallace FISTING a Dolphins linemen FFS.  Also.....no one has addressed my earlier point.....what other teams whine and cry so much about Burfict other than the Stoolers?  

No, you're right to give your opinion, and yours is not without merit.  I agree there IS a SELF INFLICTED bullseye on him.  That said, he has cleaned it up a lot from the days of nut sack tapping, and ankle twisting....although Pig Pen HAS done that just recently, and not a damn thing was said.  THAT is the issue at hand here.  Now these same douchebags want him banned.  That's just ridiculous.

Well said, and on point.

Trash talk IS a part of the game, always has been, always will be.  I just find it utterly pathetic that the dirtiest team in the league is crying foul.

Absolutely.  I've been subjected to exactly the same things you're talking about as well.  We just remembered and dished them some of their own medicine the next time we met.  Don't start none, won't be none.

I was ejected from a middle school game one time.  A defender hit our QB after he threw the ball, then literally sat on top of him and gut punched him.  I caught it out of the corner of my eye, and ran over and knocked his ass off of my QB.  I got tossed.....but so did he.  I had no problem with the dual ejection.  What I would have had a problem with is if I got tossed and the other cat didn't.  That seems to be the way this plays out.  Burfict gets suspensions.....Stoolers get fines that get rescinded when the dust settles. Whatever
Wyche, "The Enforcer"!!  Rock On
Reply/Quote