Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
I would have liked to have signed Wilkins. Not sure why the Bengals couldnt make that deal.

edit: Ok 27.5 million per year. That sounds a little high but doable
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mulugheta? I heard he is a big time scumbag that teams will stop negotiating with and players should just shove him out of the way and keep him from getting them huge contracts with large guarantees because he also benefits from them getting paid more.

Ninja

He is. Look at his track record of his players signing new contracts with their existing teams. He always hardballs to prevent that because he makes more money if they jump ship. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would have liked to have signed Wilkins.  25 million per year sounds about right.  Not sure why the Bengals couldnt make that deal.

More than 3/4 of it is guaranteed.  Reality is that it was cutting edge for us to guarantee what we did to Brown Jr., and that wasn't even half his deal.  Have to look it up, but not sure we have ever guaranteed half an incoming UFA's deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:34 PM)phil413 Wrote: More than 3/4 of it is guaranteed.  Reality is that it was cutting edge for us to guarantee what we did to Brown Jr., and that wasn't even half his deal.  Have to look it up, but not sure we have ever guaranteed half an incoming UFA's deal.

These guarantees are getting ridiculous.  It is starting to get like MLB contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would have liked to have signed Wilkins.  Not sure why the Bengals couldnt make that deal.

edit:  Ok 27.5 million per year.  That sounds a little high but doable

Would of been down with that for Wilkins. Leonard Williams or Sheldon Rankins need to be in our thoughts and bring in a RT.

(03-11-2024, 02:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: He is. Look at his track record of his players signing new contracts with their existing teams. He always hardballs to prevent that because he makes more money if they jump ship. 

Yeah, I don't know why TLL is defending the guy. He just cost Tee a ring in my opinion and I doubt anyone is going to pay him #1 money.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: He is. Look at his track record of his players signing new contracts with their existing teams. He always hardballs to prevent that because he makes more money if they jump ship. 

And players keep on hiring him to be their agent because THEY make more money. They like what he does, because he does a good job.

If players wanted to stay where they were for less money, they wouldn't hire him or they would tell him that. They don't, because they want more money, regardless of where they have to go. We are fans of teams, they are employees who want to be highly paid for their work.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:34 PM)phil413 Wrote: More than 3/4 of it is guaranteed.  Reality is that it was cutting edge for us to guarantee what we did to Brown Jr., and that wasn't even half his deal.  Have to look it up, but not sure we have ever guaranteed half an incoming UFA's deal.

As long as the stupid funding rule exists we are going to be hampered. It isn't the guarantee itself (heck our track record of paying players the whole contract speaks for that) but the escrow requirement means teams need to be rolling in cash well over the usual signing bonus at the time of signing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And players keep on hiring him to be their agent because THEY make more money. They like what he does, because he does a good job.

Still, if certain teams don't like to work with your agent it can hurt you pretty sure. The more options the better last I checked.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would have liked to have signed Wilkins.  Not sure why the Bengals couldnt make that deal.

edit:  Ok 27.5 million per year.  That sounds a little high but doable

You'd be paying for a career year that he likely never hits again.
Reply/Quote
Quote: The #Jaguars are giving former #Bills WR Gabriel Davis a 3-year, $39M deal with a max value of $50M with incentives. He gets $11M at signing.

WR market price update
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We are fans of teams, they are employees who want to be highly paid for their work.

I don't fault any player that prioritizes maximizing their income even if it is at the expense of my Bengals winning-it-all fandom (which means nothing).
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:42 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote: WR market price update

The Davis contract makes us franchising Tee a steal in 2024.

Tee trade request denied unless a team wants to over pay for him.

Bengals can also tag him in 2025.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I don't know why TLL is defending the guy. He just cost Tee a ring in my opinion and I doubt anyone is going to pay him #1 money.

Because players explicitly hire him to get them the most money, so that's what he does. Demonizing him for doing the job the players are paying him to do seems a bit absurd. It's like hiring a financial manager and calling him a scumbag because he moves your money from one investment to another because it will make you more money. Why is it his fault when you knew he'd do it and that's why you hired him? If you wanted to settle for less money (and less guaranteed money), you could just not hire him in the first place.

We have to first win a ring before Tee could lose a ring. I believe/hope we will, but we don't even know where Tee would go. Whit won a SB with the Rams, Dunlap won a SB with the Chiefs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't fault any player that prioritizes maximizing their income even if it is at the expense of my Bengals winning-it-all fandom (which means nothing).

I agree, this is for. young guy on second contract. NFL changed the rules years ago and rookie deals are team friendly. So why fault a player who over performed their rookie deal to be paid. Only a bad agent would not try and get them top dollar. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

From earlier, but for comparison....

Quote:The #Colts and WR Michael Pittman Jr. have reached an agreement on a 3-year, $70M deal with $46M guaranteed.

Roughly $23.3 mil per
Reply/Quote

I would rather have Gabe Davis at 13-16 million than Higgins at 26 million.  Davis would have been a good #2 for us at that price.  If you look at it from the Jags perspective why give up picks to have Higgins at 26 million when they dont give up anything to get Davis at 13 million.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Dan Quinn is bringing in a familiar face: Sources say the #Commanders are expected to sign former #Cowboys C Tyler Biadasz.

Per Rapsheet

IOL are vanishing lol
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:05 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote:
Quote:Bengals re-signed TE Drew Sample to a three-year contract extension through the 2026 season.

Per Schefter
Tiger

Quote:Per source, Drew Sample's three-year deal with the Bengals will be worth $10.5 million overall.

Per Ben Baby
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't fault any player that prioritizes maximizing their income even if it is at the expense of my Bengals winning-it-all fandom (which means nothing).

I definitely agree with that.

(03-11-2024, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because players explicitly hire him to get them the most money, so that's what he does. Demonizing him for doing the job the players are paying him to do seems a bit absurd. It's like hiring a financial manager and calling him a scumbag because he moves your money from one investment to another because it will make you more money. Why is it his fault when you knew he'd do it and that's why you hired him? If you wanted to settle for less money (and less guaranteed money), you could just not hire him in the first place.

We have to first win a ring before Tee could lose a ring. I believe/hope we will, but we don't even know where Tee would go. Whit won a SB with the Rams, Dunlap won a SB with the Chiefs.

Not meaning to demonize the guy and I understand your points TLL. I just cannot defend an agent, just not my style lol

True on Whit and Dunlap, but that was before Burrow got here. If we can get an early 2nd round pick while trading Tee and we make the
right moves to improve the trenches this Offseason we should be a front runner for winning it all next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:57 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Per Ben Baby
Tiger

10.5 mil overall for 3 years? Very fair deal for Drew Sample.
Reply/Quote