Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***

Well, we now have a current precedent of a team paying their QB, and 2 WR’s. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Well, we now have a current precedent of a team paying their QB, and 2 WR’s. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Should Tee get a lesser, equal, or better deal than Smith? Time to drop some hot takes on how this deal influences Tee's next contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Should Tee get a lesser, equal, or better deal than Smith? Time to drop some hot takes on how this deal influences Tee's next contract.

I would say the guaranteed money should be different. Smith has been very durable. His snap % is crushing Tee’s.

Reply/Quote
IMHO the guaranteed portion might be the biggest hold up. They already have to be saving for chase’s deal. The bengals are going to end up cash poor if that escrow rule doesn’t change soon
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would say the guaranteed money should be different. Smith has been very durable. His snap % is crushing Tee’s.

I would also say that DeVonta Smith has a higher ceiling than Tee as well being a top 10 pick in the first round. I don't think the DeVonta 
contract does any favors for Tee, we aren't offering him that much that is for damn sure. That is 25 mil per year right there that he got.

I think Tee deserves around 19-20 mil per year for what he has done in the NFL so far and his upside. Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: IMHO the guaranteed portion might be the biggest hold up.  They already have to be saving for chase’s deal.  The bengals are going to end up cash poor if that escrow rule doesn’t change soon

it usually is
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Should Tee get a lesser, equal, or better deal than Smith? Time to drop some hot takes on how this deal influences Tee's next contract.

Tee should expect to get less than Smith.  Smith plays more snaps and contributes more.  Smith has been in the league 3 years and has put up 3178 yards and 19 TDs.  This comes to an average of 1059 yards per season with 6.3 TDs.  Tee has been in the league 4 years and has put up 3684 yards and  24 TDs which averages 921 yards per season with 6 TDs.  DeVonta Smith is more productive than Tee Higgins and should be paid more accordingly. 

Smith is being paid 25 million per year with 51 million guaranteed.  Tee should probably expect 22-23 million per year and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40+ million guaranteed if using a similar 3 year contract comparison.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would also say that DeVonta Smith has a higher ceiling than Tee as well being a top 10 pick in the first round. I don't think the DeVonta 
contract does any favors for Tee, we aren't offering him that much that is for damn sure. That is 25 mil per year right there that he got.

I think Tee deserves around 19-20 mil per year for what he has done in the NFL so far and his upside. Just my opinion.

I think 19-20 million per year is probably a little too low.  While Tee is not as productive as Smith I dont think its a 6 million dollar per year gap.   Tee is coming off a season where he was injured again and didnt put up good number while Smith had another good season like he has had all three years in the league so I can understand your 19-20 million dollar thought.  Anyway you look at it,  Tee isnt as productive as Smith and should not be paid like Smith.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think 19-20 million per year is probably a little too low.  While Tee is not as productive as Smith I dont think its a 6 million dollar per year gap.   Tee is coming off a season where he was injured again and didnt put up good number while Smith had another good season like he has had all three years in the league so I can understand your 19-20 million dollar thought.  Anyway you look at it,  Tee isnt as productive as Smith and should not be paid like Smith.

Cool, completely understand that. Maybe the posters overvaluing Tee so much have made me undervalue him lol
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: IMHO the guaranteed portion might be the biggest hold up.  They already have to be saving for chase’s deal.  The bengals are going to end up cash poor if that escrow rule doesn’t change soon

Do you have a link to the Bengal's cash position? 

I found this article interesting. It appears it is not mandatory to put guaranteed money in an escrow account. In the CBA, it says it MAY BE REQUIRED, NOT SHALL BE REQUIRED. 

NFL's funding rule isn't mandatory; did the Browns make escrow payment for Deshaun Watson deal? - NBC Sports
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would say the guaranteed money should be different. Smith has been very durable. His snap % is crushing Tee’s.

Funny, among the cons for Smith was the durability question.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devonta-smith/3200534d-4920-6016-573c-fcc767bafc4d

He proved it has thus far been a non-issue.
Reply/Quote
We need to see the final cap number for Smith. In essence, he was signed in 2024 for 6.5 million, then in 2025 for 16 million (5h year option exercised). They extended him for 75 million for 3 additional years with 51 million guaranteed.

So, if I am correct, Smith will get:
2024 - 6.5 million (2025 - 16 million (they exercised 5th year option)
2026 - 25 million
2027 - 25 million
2028 - 25 million

Total is 97.5 million and of that a little more than 50% is guaranteed.

97.5 million divided by 5 years is less than 20 million per year.

They said extended for 3 years.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:09 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Funny, among the cons for Smith was the durability question.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devonta-smith/3200534d-4920-6016-573c-fcc767bafc4d

He proved it has thus far been a non-issue.

Call me surprised by this fact. I thought DeVonta Smith would get broken in the NFL.

Dude was and still is so skinny, tough bastid though. Have to give him props. He has handled the NFL's physicality well even if the rules 
make it much softer than in the past for WR's.

(04-15-2024, 02:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We need to see the final cap number for Smith. In essence, he was signed in 2024 for 6.5 million, then in 2025 for 16 million (5h year option exercised). They extended him for 75 million for 3 additional years with 51 million guaranteed.

So, if I am correct, Smith will get:
2024 - 6.5 million (2025 - 16 million (they exercised 5th year option)
2026 - 25 million
2027 - 25 million
2028 - 25 million

Total is 97.5 million and of that a little more than 50% is guaranteed.

97.5 million divided by 5 years is less than 20 million per year.

They said extended for 3 years.

That actually isn't too bad when looking at it. I don't know if Tee would take it though, I bet we offered something similar, just not the 
guaranteed money like DeVonta got. Tee hasn't been quite as good as DeVonta either or been as durable as Tecmo noted.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That actually isn't too bad when looking at it. I don't know if Tee would take it though, I bet we offered something similar, just not the 
guaranteed money like DeVonta got. Tee hasn't been quite as good as DeVonta either or been as durable as Tecmo noted.

Year 3 may be only 23 million, year 4 may be 26 million and year 5 27 million, in essence all guarantees almost gone after 3 years

2024  - 6.5 million
2025 - 16 million
2026 - 23 million so 45.5 million of 51 million guaranteed almost gone giving team flexibility to cut or trade him after 3 years.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Year 3 may be only 23 million, year 4 may be 26 million and year 5 27 million, in essence all guarantees almost gone after 3 years

2024  - 6.5 million
2025 - 16 million
2026 - 23 million so 45.5 million of 51 million guaranteed almost gone giving team flexibility to cut or trade him after 3 years.

I guess we could do something similar and see if Tee will take it. I like the out after 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess we could do something similar and see if Tee will take it. I like the out after 3 years.

The Bengals have PLENTY of cap space this season and into the future to sign Higgins. PLENTY. I think they just don't want to.... or have a different plan. You know what I'm saying, Natester. Not plan A. Not plan B, or C, or H, or I... I think the Bengals are on to plan Double J.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think 19-20 million per year is probably a little too low.  While Tee is not as productive as Smith I dont think its a 6 million dollar per year gap.   Tee is coming off a season where he was injured again and didnt put up good number while Smith had another good season like he has had all three years in the league so I can understand your 19-20 million dollar thought.  Anyway you look at it,  Tee isnt as productive as Smith and should not be paid like Smith.

Look at, and compare, their first 3 years in the league and tell me tee isn’t as productive? Last year needs to be thrown out for multiple reasons, starting with injuries to tee and burrow.

Tee Higgins led the league in single coverage grade in 2022.

If Devonta smith and Jalen hurts get hurt this year, are you going to hold the lower production against smith?

This is getting ridiculous. Again, as to the point as this can be, tee Higgins is a top 20 WR. No one is clamoring for him to be a top 12 player at his position.

Tee Higgins is one of the best players on the bengals, period.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 04:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals have PLENTY of cap space this season and into the future to sign Higgins. PLENTY. I think they just don't want to.... or have a different plan. You know what I'm saying, Natester. Not plan A. Not plan B, or C, or H, or I... I think the Bengals are on to plan Double J.

I think you forget it takes both sides to agree to the terms of a contract. The tag buys the 2 SIDES time to work out a deal or if Bengals want to go in another direction, they hold the cards.

I understand many are frustrated, but this is not just the Bengals who tag and have player play on the tag. The Chiefs tagged Jones in 2023, he went on to have a great year and was signed long term in 2024.

Would you say the Chiefs had no plan in 2023 when the 2 sides could not agree on a long-term deal?

I have no idea what Tee and his agent are asking for in terms of money and guarantees? 

But, if we don't trade Tee prior to or during the draft, I think their plan B was to have Tee play on the tag in 2024. Plan A was likely to sign him to a reasonable deal long term in that scenario.

Reply/Quote
Outside of Chase who are they hording cap space for? There isn't anyone else who needs extended, and those that have contracts coming to an end likely will be replaced by draft picks (Hilton / Hill / Karras / Cappa). We are in a position to pay Tee and Chase given we haven't drafted well enough to have pro bowl / all pro (outside of Chase) players up for extensions.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If Higgins was in the Bengals plans they would have talked to him in the past year, but they haven't. I have this weird feeling that if Bowers or Thomas are sitting there at 18 they take either one and then and only then is when they will trade Tee. Hoping Carolina comes a calling with one of their 2nd rounders.
Reply/Quote