Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYG game thoughts
(08-15-2015, 10:11 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The D line looked great with Geno back to form, and we are only going to improve when MJ is healthy! Covering Eifert, Jones and Green at the same time is going to be a defensive nightmare for our opponents.    I think...I think...this might be the year we have all been waiting for!

All I've read definitely sounds encouraging.......I took my girls to a concert last night and missed the game.  Thank goodness we can come here and get the scoop. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:10 AM)Shady Wrote: ........... Overall, our 2nd team secondary looks better than our 1st team has in some years.........

Amen brother.....How far back are we going with your comment?  The older Bengal fans will remember the years with Toast Jones and the other Jones....Boy that was a horrible secondary!
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought from the NYG game:

Starters on both sides looked incredible

Center is an issue

The big white WR is not making the team

Phat Sims looks good. Personal favs aren’t going to push him

Still is still bad and Hardison didn’t look good at all

Shaw is a gamer

Hill (DB) is going to fight for a spot

Nobody looked good at PR/KR

Nugent is safe

Of course these are fluid. Post yours.
The game started great and the 1st string offense and defense looked good. 

As I thought, we have great depth on the defensive line. It's good to have Pat Sims back, he is a solid veteran. He played early and often, not a 4th quarter player. They must be really thinking of keeping Sims, and he did look good, as did most of the D line all night long. .....We also showed some depth at RB, which teams need.......

I'm still not a huge Josh Johnson fan and last night didn't change that. What is the deal with AJ McCarron, he has been injured for every game since drafted in 2014. Is he made out of tissue paper ? You can't make the club in the tub.  Bengals may need to bring in another QB to be a real # 2 back-up to Dalton.  Johnson isn't very good and AJ McCarron has yet to throw a single pass in even a preseason game in 2 years. I see a huge weakness at back-up QB, and that area needs a huge upgrade. Those wanting Dalton replaced, with who, we are weak at back-up QB. ( I like Dalton ). .........I also still see weaknesses at linebacker, especially the back-up bench players. .....The back-up receivers blew a lot of chances and had Hue Jackson yelling at them, shades of the play-off game with Indy when the back-ups couldn't do anything. 

The 1st strings looked good and dominated the Giants early. The D Line has great depth and good players will get cut. Other teams not as deep may want to pick up Bengals D Linemen cut .....but we are not as deep in other areas and to win those play-off games, we need to be. Injuries happen, and you need good depth. I'm still concerned about back-up linebackers, receivers and quarterback. I'm not seeing play-off win depth.  I would some day like to see this much raved about McCarron actually play a snap in a preseason game. To this point, it's all hype about his college days, and you can't make the club in the tub. Is he Mister Injury, not tough enough for the NFL ???? I would love the Bengals to pick-up a better back-up QB than what we have, and what we have isn't much. Johnson would still rather run than throw, high school and college stuff, not very NFL. We are in dire need of a quality back-up QB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Funny reading through all these post game thoughts there is little mention of how efficient Andy Dalton was. Had he not looked good the AD bashers would have been all over the board. So far nothing but crickets.

I just hope he stays healthy all year cause we'd be screwed with JJ. Time will tell with McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Funny reading through all these post game thoughts there is little mention of how efficient Andy Dalton was.  Had he not looked good the AD bashers would have been all over the board.  So far nothing but crickets.

I just hope he stays healthy all year cause we'd be screwed with JJ.  Time will tell with McCarron.

You are right on it......You said it perfect. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I wish the Bengals practiced against their opponents every week because they looked fired up to shut those guys down.

The defense wasn't going to budge, and if they did catch it, Iloka was going to lay the wood.

I love the team when they have the desire to beat the crap out of the opponent, and that's what I saw from the ones.

Hopefully they can keep this attitude throughout the season.
Reply/Quote
I think the 1st teamers, both sides, just played with a hell of alot of hustle. If we stay relatively healthy, we could be serious in the playoffs this year.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Funny reading through all these post game thoughts there is little mention of how efficient Andy Dalton was.  Had he not looked good the AD bashers would have been all over the board.  So far nothing but crickets.

I just hope he stays healthy all year cause we'd be screwed with JJ.  Time will tell with McCarron.
Time has told...  He's fragile, and can't be counted on to be ready to play.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

You are right Dalton looked great.
Reply/Quote
Agree with the things other people have said. Would like to add that it felt like if that had been a real game, it would have been a blowout.

Don't know if that was a measure of how good the Bengals are or how bad the giants are(probably a combination of both), but the Giants looked like they had no chance.

Seems like we saw just about everything we were hoping to see.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I loved what the first teamers did.

I thought Sims and Shawn Williams (DT #69) looked really good on the DL.

I was glad to see Marvin Jones back.

Eifert looked good, although I worry Dalton will rely on him too much.

I thought the RB out of Azusa Pacific (#31) played well....needs to be kept on PS at the very least.

I hope we solve the back up C problem.

#79 looked good on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:29 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: You are right Dalton looked great.

Smooth, accurate, poised.  Step one is a success.

One thing, Andy, slide, dammit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:37 PM)McC Wrote: Smooth, accurate, poised.  Step one is a success.

One thing, Andy, slide, dammit.

No kidding. That slide had echoes of the Chargers playoff game.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was a good night. Some thoughts.

Showed good rb depth.

Little and Moore stepped up.

Young D line was active. Hardison showed a strong motor, and remained active at both end and tackle (he was better at tackle). For what is supposed to be aproject, he played nearly the whole game and didn't lose steam at the end. Good potential. We're on to something with William but like McDonald a couple years back he'll likely be sacrificed for Peko. Sims looks like Sims, and as Marvin would say, that's a good thing.

Cb's played well. We've got something in Shaw and Hill. Clew made some plays, so it looks to be between him and Hill. Who was better at special teams? Both contributed last night.

Still not sold on Shawn Williams. Big hits, but can he wrap up? Make splash plays behind the line of scrimmage and in coverage?

Disappointed in not seeing the camp hype from Kroft. CJ.

Didn't see much to get excited about in the return game.

Overall promising night. Injuries aside, couldn't have asked for much more (maybe a turnover from the dominant D).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Geno being back is #1 fellas, everything else is icing.

Eifert, MLJ being back? Both could be great, would not want to be the opposing team trying to cover these guys.

You know, we say it every year but i have never seen a Preseason opener like this...

We will see.
Reply/Quote
BTW, Pat Sims makes me happy. Peko is a great guy and all but Sims makes him expendable.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought it was a good night. Some thoughts.

Cb's played well. We've got something in Shaw and Hill. Clew made some plays, so it looks to be between him and Hill. Who was better at special teams? Both contributed last night.

Still not sold on Shawn Williams. Big hits, but can he wrap up? Make splash plays behind the line of scrimmage and in coverage?

Didn't see much to get excited about in the return game.

Overall promising night. Injuries aside, couldn't have asked for much more (maybe a turnover from the dominant D).

I was thinking a lot of the same things.

We are looking good at CB.  I liked what I saw last night.

Exactly on Shawn Williams!!  One of my biggest pet peeves about guys nowadays is the failure to wrap up.  I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that about Williams.  He seems to have the ability to make some big plays, but also screw them up by not wrapping up.  I know I said it over a hundred times on the old board and I probably will here too, I'd much rather see a good tackle by wrapping up, than a big hit without wrapping up.  Hopefully Carrier or someone straightens him out.

Yeah, the return game had a little, or a lot, to be desired.  If Gio is going to return punts, he needs to just run and not stand there and dance.

I thought it was a good game and were able to get a good idea of what some guys can do.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Oh.....I also thought Carter looked good getting some pressure. I know it was just a pre-season game, but I think he might be a keeper.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Hardison belongs at DT.
Williams might be the best reserve DL on the team.
Shaw is going to be a contributor this season. Looked sharp on ST.
Our reserve OL was pretty much awful. Pressure nearly every pass and RBs hit in the backfield.
Uzomah needs to pay attention when on the field.
Wenning threw some nice passes.
The center position could be a problem again...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, Pat Sims makes me happy. Peko is a great guy and all but Sims makes him expendable.

You are crazy if you think Peko is "expendable".

You really think Peko should not even make the roster?

I like Sims, but c'mon man.  That si just silly.
Reply/Quote