Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYG game thoughts
(08-15-2015, 02:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hardison belongs at DT.
Williams might be the best reserve DL on the team.
Shaw is going to be a contributor this season. Looked sharp on ST.
Our reserve OL was pretty much awful. Pressure nearly every pass and RBs hit in the backfield.
Uzomah needs to pay attention when on the field.
Wenning threw some nice passes.
The center position could be a problem again...

BTW, need an update on Hopkins, anybody?

Center is my one question mark once again, dammit.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, need an update on Hopkins, anybody?

Center is my one question mark once again, dammit.

I haven't seen anything. Really disappointed he couldn't go. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Funny reading through all these post game thoughts there is little mention of how efficient Andy Dalton was.  Had he not looked good the AD bashers would have been all over the board.  So far nothing but crickets.

I just hope he stays healthy all year cause we'd be screwed with JJ.  Time will tell with McCarron.

Funny that you just mentioned how efficient Dalton was. Also I don't think the one series he had adds a whole lot to the conversation about him. I still think he's like a Schrodinger's cat QB, we won't know if he's alive or dead (in the playoffs) until he takes the first snap that day. But I was encouraged by his 3 pass performance and hope he keeps it up. This could be his breakout year but as many others have stated it all comes down to the postseason performance. If he gets past the hump I'd be willing to hang my hat on Andy as the franchise figure for the future. But I'm not there yet and it's really only because of the post season breakdowns. 

I was very disappointed that my man McCarron didn't play. He needs those snaps bad and nobody is high on JJJ or Kieth W. I just hope that they were just trying to ensure that he is available as the backup during the season and this isn't something worse. 
His NFL history seems to indicate that he is injury prone but I think that's mostly attributable to bad luck. Time will tell but I don't think he's made of tissue paper. He played through some injury at Alabama and I read somewhere he stated that he really wanted to play Friday. The Bengals are infamous for playing coy about injuries, I'm not sure how bad his "strain/soreness" is. I do think though, that if there was a serious QB competition at the backup spot they probably would have let him play through the soreness. I don't think the coaches feel there is a better option and so they probably just wanted to save him. Alternatively his injury could be worse than they are letting on. I have the feeling that it is the first situation though.  

Other notes:
The Offense has too many weapons which is a good problem.
Center needs to be fixed otherwise the O line is good.
Alford looked like he may become a serious contributor for the offense maybe even become the #3.
Defense was on point.
Dre K looked especially good and fired up he may be the primary CB next year.
The D line is stout and deep. Only problem with D line is catching up to those dump off passes that are thrown just behind them.

Outlook is good Cool
Reply/Quote
Lots of positives being said, and why not? Couldn't ask for a better opener even if pre-season. I agree with those and don't need to restate all of that.

What worried me is :

Bodine. I was expecting him to come out for his second season and look a lot different. He doesn't, but it's early, I guess.

Gio. He looks like a man who is watching the train leave the station, namely the Jeremy Hill express. He's got to get over it, though, because he is still a great value to this team. Maybe just an off night. You know the talent is always there.

How the hell do we get Josh Shaw on the field? That guy looks like he can really play.
Reply/Quote
I didn't get to visually see the game.. but Gio had 4 carries and Hill had 2.

Are we really gonna judge Gio over 4 carries? Pretty sure Gio will be fine haha
Reply/Quote
Bodine is my main concern after the first preseason game, as he's just an obvious weak link. Personally, I would love to see Bolling move to C and Fisher inserted at LG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Except for the fact that they are invested in Bodine, that could happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Funny reading through all these post game thoughts there is little mention of how efficient Andy Dalton was.  Had he not looked good the AD bashers would have been all over the board.  So far nothing but crickets.

I just hope he stays healthy all year cause we'd be screwed with JJ.  Time will tell with McCarron.

Yes it's funny how they all get quiet when he does anything positive.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 07:11 PM)67bengals Wrote: Except for the fact that they are invested in Bodine, that could happen.

Hopefully he gets benched if this continues. If they have to push Boling in to Center and put Fisher at LG. It's not ideal but poor play from Center has dogged us ever since Richie Braham went out.
Reply/Quote
Overall I do wish we had seen one more series from the first team starters, to get a better feel for how this offense will run if it actually has all its parts (which it never did last year). Lest we forget we never had Marvin Jones and we lost Eifert after less than one quarter of one game. Add in Sanu developing skillet hands and Green's recurring injuries and last year on offense was a cipher.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:37 PM)Beaker Wrote: I loved what the first teamers did.

I thought Sims and Shawn Williams (DT #69) looked really good on the DL.

I was glad to see Marvin Jones back.

Eifert looked good, although I worry Dalton will rely on him too much.

I thought the RB out of Azusa Pacific (#31) played well....needs to be kept on PS at the very least.

I hope we solve the back up C problem.

#79 looked good on the OL.
He has been accused of relying on Green too much previously
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile, Giants fans may be worried. They have their own fans who want to get rid of the coach and the starting QB. They may be really grumbling at the Eli Manning TV commercials. Bengals had a better night then Giants did. It was another good win in The Jungle. Glad it wasn't in New Jersey.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 07:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Overall I do wish we had seen one more series from the first team starters, to get a better feel for how this offense will run if it actually has all its parts (which it never did last year). Lest we forget we never had Marvin Jones and we lost Eifert after less than one quarter of one game. Add in Sanu developing skillet hands and Green's recurring injuries and last year on offense was a cipher.
I hate that they only play one series in the first game, but I hate blown out knees on the second series of a meaningless game even more.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 08:54 PM)jason Wrote: I hate that they only play one series in the first game, but I hate blown out knees on the second series of a meaningless game even more.

I really don't mind it. I know that the biggest reason why there are preseason games is to see what kind of talent you have behind your first stringers. The 3rd preseason game against the Bears we will probably see close to a full half of play time with our first stringers xD.

I just can't wait until we dominate the Raiders in the season opener.... on a slightly related note I'm still kinda pissed that we don't open at home AGAIN. this has to be a NFL record for starting the season on the road.
Reply/Quote
These are just scrimmages. The real test comes in the games scheduled after Labor Day. How important is it to win these games? The Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season and then proceeded to make history in the regular season.....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
So far, nobody is really separating themselves from Tate in returning kicks and punts. That is going to sway a decision at WR that we'd really rather not make. He's still the safe bet back there.

Green
Jones
Sanu
Alford
Little
and Tate.

Those are your 6 WRs right now.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:46 PM)Shady Wrote: So far, nobody is really separating themselves from Tate in returning kicks and punts. That is going to sway a decision at WR that we'd really rather not make. He's still the safe bet back there.  

Green
Jones
Sanu
Alford
Little
and Tate.

Those are your 6 WRs right now.

They may only keep 5 and keep Burkhead as a swing guy.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 09:32 PM)Interceptor Wrote: These are just scrimmages. The real test comes in the games scheduled after Labor Day. How important is it to win these games? The Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season and then proceeded to make history in the regular season.....

I doubt anyone is worried about the final score, but more how the first teams and some key new/depth players look.
Reply/Quote
I thought that with extended playing time, Josh Johnson looked definitely improved over last year.
He is not a #2 QB tho...

GENO!!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 11:24 PM)EatonFan Wrote: They may only keep 5 and keep Burkhead as a swing guy.

They will keep 6 WRs. Rex is still a RB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote