Geno looks really good out there
Our secondary will be good
Shaw and Hill were impressive at corner
Clarke showed me something
Dalton looks good
Like what I saw from Pat Sims
The running back position is our deepest posisition
Marcus Hardison and Deshawn Williams both looked good out there
Greg Little, Mario Alford, and Denarius Moore all looked good out there.
Negatives
Special teams were not impressive
Josh Johnson played below average
Marvin Jones didn't play with the first team
Gio should not be returning punts unless it is in a critical game
Devon still and Brandon Thompson struggled
CJ H dropped an easy touchdown
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 12:15 AM)Synric Wrote: They will keep 6 WRs. Rex is still a RB.

That's why I said 5 with Rex being able to swing to slot WR if necessary.  It's an option.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I was at the game and my initial thoughts:

Jeremy Hill is going to be special
Dalton looked sharper/more confident (granted only a few plays but still!)
WRs as a whole looked pretty good
DL was dominant - -Geno back in form is huge
DreK is cocky -- and can back it up
LB to me was interesting watching the rotations. Ray/Vinny/AJ started with Lamur in nickel -- looked good in limited action. Second unit was Nico/Flowers/Lamur - Lamur wasn't with them too long but Nico and Flowers looked strong out there!

This is where it got interesting -- when Lamur came out Carter came in that spot, not PJ Dawson. Dawson and Dimanche came in later which tells me they are 3rd/4th string right now. Dawson had a nice play in the backfield, but other than that he wasn't noticeable to me. I know he is just a rookie, but he didn't stand out like I maybe thought he would based on what I have read. I think he will be good down the road, but not sure how much he will help this year. I've seen some say he could start this year but I don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 09:21 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: 1. Both the 1 & 2's looked very impressive
2. Barring major injuries this team is capable of a being a contender
3. Gonna be some tough cuts before the season starts

teams is a contender ...but will they win a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
Offensive line didn't seem to gel, some plays they blocked well, and others they didn't.

Center is a problem.

Kumerow will be a practice squadder unless he amazes the rest of the preseason.

We have a pretty damn good secondary, starters and depth.

Tight ends looked good.

I still don't think we are using Gio effectively.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 10:09 AM)xavierdude Wrote: teams is a contender ...but will they win a playoff game?

Remains to be seen, but they have the talent. They've had the talent to win a playoff game for the last few years. It's all mental right now. And not just for Dalton, nor just for the players. If the coaches and the players can overcome whatever mental hurdles are causing them to stumble in the playoffs, not only can we win A playoff game, we can win MULTIPLE playoff games.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 10:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Remains to be seen, but they have the talent. They've had the talent to win a playoff game for the last few years. It's all mental right now. And not just for Dalton, nor just for the players. If the coaches and the players can overcome whatever mental hurdles are causing them to stumble in the playoffs, not only can we win A playoff game, we can win MULTIPLE playoff games.

It all trickles down from the top (HC).
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Shaw is a good one.  

Eifert opens up the offense so much.  

hill played well.  I was surprised.  May be able to stick as last corner.  

Overall our corner play was really good.   Vance Joseph has those guys rolling.   No wonder Mike blocked him.

This one summed it up for me.  And Hue isn't going to show too much, nor will Paulie G, but I thought most looked very good.  I am just a little concerned at the run D, since that seems to be so much of what opposing teams do to the Bengals in the postseason.  I would like to see them shut down Tampa's run game better. 

Vance Joseph was a real find for this team.  I think his man coaching will (hopefully) free up more blitz packages and the Bengals start to get after opposing QBs. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I laughed when I saw this play.  They were killing Alford for fielding a punt at the 5 in his first action EVER fielding punts.  Then you see senior citizen Tate field one at the 6.  If it was marked at the 8, it was a generous spot. 

I really hope they give Alford the shot.  I think that kid could be special. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, Pat Sims makes me happy. Peko is a great guy and all but Sims makes him expendable.

No, not expendable.  Keep them both in rotation.  That is how it works.  Good talent rotating and staying fresh prevents good talent from becoming mediocre talent (see playoffs, every season under marvin).
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I laughed when I saw this play.  They were killing Alford for fielding a punt at the 5 in his first action EVER fielding punts.  Then you see senior citizen Tate field one at the 6.  If it was marked at the 8, it was a generous spot. 

I really hope they give Alford the shot.  I think that kid could be special. 

Brandon Tate is roughly 3 weeks older than Andy Dalton and about 10 months older than A.J. Green.

Just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 06:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bodine is my main concern after the first preseason game, as he's just an obvious weak link.  Personally, I would love to see Bolling move to C and Fisher inserted at LG.

I was just thinking the same thing, but with Zeitler moving to Center and Fisher playing RG.  I'm not giving up on Bodine yet, and I can't help but wonder if some of his negative rankings were run blocking where they asked him to pull.  That just isn't him.  Boling can do that very well, but I think pulling Bodine is trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was just thinking the same thing, but with Zeitler moving to Center and Fisher playing RG.  I'm not giving up on Bodine yet, and I can't help but wonder if some of his negative rankings were run blocking where they asked him to pull.  That just isn't him.  Boling can do that very well, but I think pulling Bodine is trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up with Fisher playing RG anytime soon.

It's being said that the team is no longer moving him around and he's "firmly planted as the backup LT".
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 10:49 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: He has been accused of relying on Green too much previously

Haha, yes, and when Green, Jones, Gresh, and Eifert were all out, he relied on Sanu too much.

The bottom line is:  Andy has not had a "safety valve" like Eifert since his time here.  Green will almost always be doubled.  Eifert and Sanu/Burkhead-when working out of the slot, could be just that.  Eifert wont be doubled.  A big, reliable target like that is exactly what this offense has needed.

If Marvin Jones can stay healthy, and Sanu can remain in the slot where he belongs, all the better.  Rex?  My wildcard player for this year.  I think he will rotate with Sanu and keep each other fresh.  I think Rex will be a big factor this year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Brandon Tate is roughly 3 weeks older than Andy Dalton and about 10 months older than A.J. Green.

Just sayin'.

And he is the oldest WR on the team...just sayin'
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And he is the oldest WR on the team...just sayin'

Sure, and I'm no Tate fan, I just don't think it makes much sense to call him a senior citizen.

You can knock him for his poor decision making all you'd like, but it doesn't make much sense to knock him for his age when he's 27 years old.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:41 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Sure, and I'm no Tate fan, I just don't think it makes much sense to call him a senior citizen.

You can knock him for his poor decision making all you'd like, but it doesn't make much sense to knock him for his age when he's 27 years old.

lol after watching GIO returning punts it made me miss tate lol....
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, not expendable.  Keep them both in rotation.  That is how it works.  Good talent rotating and staying fresh prevents good talent from becoming mediocre talent (see playoffs, every season under marvin).

You figure you gotta find a spot for Hardison...

Geno Hardison. Sims..... And based on last year i cant just give peko a spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:41 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Sure, and I'm no Tate fan, I just don't think it makes much sense to call him a senior citizen.

My point was after the number of years he has played and the number of punts he has returned that he shouldn't be making those mistakes.  Alford, in his first NFL action, and fielding punts for the first time in his life should have a bit longer leash than Tate.  That was all.  I wasn't really knocking his age, but his experience and continual poor decisions. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 02:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: You figure you gotta find a spot for Hardison...

Geno Hardison. Sims.....    And based on last year i cant just give peko a spot.

Good point, but Hardinson and Geno play a different spot.  The only other player (than Sims) that I think can play the NT is Thompson and I can't say that I would be very comfortable with that decision.

I am beginning to think that the Bengals might go light on LB with Burfict on the 6 week PUP (a guess, not insider information) and go heavy with defensive line.

Perhaps we would see Geno, Peko, Sims, Hardison, and one of Williams/Still/Thompson being a fifth player and likely these DEs:  Dunlap, MJ, Clarke, Hunt, Gilberry. 
Reply/Quote