Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYG game thoughts
(08-17-2015, 03:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but Hardinson and Geno play a different spot.  The only other player (than Sims) that I think can play the NT is Thompson and I can't say that I would be very comfortable with that decision.

I am beginning to think that the Bengals might go light on LB with Burfict on the 6 week PUP (a guess, not insider information) and go heavy with defensive line.

Perhaps we would see Geno, Peko, Sims, Hardison, and one of Williams/Still/Thompson being a fifth player and likely these DEs:  Dunlap, MJ, Clarke, Hunt, Gilberry. 

its hard to say if they keep 10 DL and 10 DBs anything more than 5 LBers leaves some position short on the offense possibly.LBers is a tough spot to go light in cause they are valueable on special teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Haha, yes, and when Green, Jones, Gresh, and Eifert were all out, he relied on Sanu too much.

The bottom line is:  Andy has not had a "safety valve" like Eifert since his time here.  Green will almost always be doubled.  Eifert and Sanu/Burkhead-when working out of the slot, could be just that.  Eifert wont be doubled.  A big, reliable target like that is exactly what this offense has needed.

If Marvin Jones can stay healthy, and Sanu can remain in the slot where he belongs, all the better.  Rex?  My wildcard player for this year.  I think he will rotate with Sanu and keep each other fresh.  I think Rex will be a big factor this year. 

Actually Andy in his entire career has never had a pass catcher more seasoned than he is except Gresham. Which is pretty unusual and atypical as most clubs especially when they are breaking in young skill players bring in a seasoned vet to help stabilize the group and to mentor. We haven't. He also has never had an established #2 WR or (as you point out) a big, reliable target as a safety valve.

This goes back to our never signing one of the cagey vet WRs like other clubs have. They don't cost that much and the reliable target cannot be underestimated (Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Pierre Garcon and so forth).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 06:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually Andy in his entire career has never had a pass catcher more seasoned than he is except Gresham. Which is pretty unusual and atypical as most clubs especially when they are breaking in young skill players bring in a seasoned vet to help stabilize the group and to mentor. We haven't. He also has never had an established #2 WR or (as you point out) a big, reliable target as a safety valve.

This goes back to our never signing one of the cagey vet WRs like other clubs have. They don't cost that much and the reliable target cannot be underestimated (Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Pierre Garcon and so forth).

I think it is more a position than just a veteran.  The Bengals haven't had a strong slot receiver for some time.  I think the combination of Sanu/Burkhead could be very good here, but Sanu needs to stay there instead of filling in for Marvin Jones.  That big catching radius of Eifert, combined with great route running and good hands is going to pay huge dividends for Dalton.  Instead of forcing it outside, he has large, reliable targets in the middle. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 03:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but Hardinson and Geno play a different spot.  The only other player (than Sims) that I think can play the NT is Thompson and I can't say that I would be very comfortable with that decision.

I am beginning to think that the Bengals might go light on LB with Burfict on the 6 week PUP (a guess, not insider information) and go heavy with defensive line.

Perhaps we would see Geno, Peko, Sims, Hardison, and one of Williams/Still/Thompson being a fifth player and likely these DEs:  Dunlap, MJ, Clarke, Hunt, Gilberry. 

Hardison is a 3T....Geno is a 3T...Thompson is a 3T

By nature of the DL sometimes they do have to line up as a NT occasionally but none of them are particularly good at it. 
Hell, Hardison looked better than just about everyone but Sims taking on double teams. 
Reply/Quote