Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-21-2019, 01:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sacks and turnovers up, a 26% reduction in rushing yards allowed, only an increase of 4 ypg allowed in passing.  Seems like an overall improvement, to me.

Christian McCaffrey and Lamar Jackson do not approve this post ! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 01:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sacks and turnovers up, a 26% reduction in rushing yards allowed, only an increase of 4 ypg allowed in passing.  Seems like an overall improvement, to me.

.....don't see how it's anything but an improvement brother.... :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 01:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....don't see how it's anything but an improvement brother.... :andy:

I really question the Management in Miami, sometimes.  As bad as the Bengals are, to hold onto coaches and players for too long, the Dolphins seem to be the opposite and rule with an ultra quick hook..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know it seems like we are the 2013 Dolphins. But when you take a step back it's just 3 potential (not including Zac) members of the coaching staff from the Dolphins. Not as many as it feels.

I certainly understand the feeling tho, because it does feel like every time we turn around it's someone from the Dolphin staff he is looking at. But in thinking about it it's just Turner/Martin, Zac, and maybe this guy.

Not as bad as it feels.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Here's an interesting evaluation of Anarumo when he was a candidate for the Jag's DC job in 2016:

"Solid coach who definitely knows how to fire up his players. It is hard to know exactly how effective he will be in a defense he actually designs, given it is very hard to change a defense philosophy in season, but he did well with what Kevin Coyle left him. 

The pass rush definitely picked up with Anarumo running the defense instead of Coyle, which was a big part of the frustration with Dolphins fans at the start of the season. The run defense still struggled, finishing 28th in the league at 126.2 yards per game, but given they were dead last after four weeks, that was actually an improvement. The pass defense fell to 21st this year, but that was probably more to do with the inability of the offense to stay on the field, injuries to the cornerbacks, and a regression from Brent Grimes this year, than purely an indictment of Anarumo's ability to coach.

He seems to be good about making his schemes fit his talent, instead of trying to force players into a scheme that does not play to their strengths, and there is no denying that the man can develop players (like safety Reshad Jones, who was a Pro Bowl snub this year). He got some great experience this year, and he should be able to use that to continue his development, but this would be his first year actually designing an entire defense at the NFL level (he was a defensive coordinator at the US Merchant Marine Academy from 1992 to 1994), so there may still be a learning curve."
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know it seems like we are the 2013 Dolphins. But when you take a step back it's just 3 potential (not including Zac) members of the coaching staff from the Dolphins. Not as many as it feels.

I certainly understand the feeling tho, but thinking about it it's just Turner/Martin, Zac, and maybe this guy.

Not as bad as it feels.

We're nothing like that team. People should relax and stop overreacting to every hire, good or bad.

The truth is, we are ALL completely ignorant as to the ability of Taylor as a HC, Callahan as a OC, and Anarumo as a DC. They could all be great, decent, or terrible in their own way. We'll have to wait and see.

People just want something to complain about, and think they know the future. I don't know about you, but as for me, I can't predict the future. If any of you fans out here can, show yourself!

Or else stop with the takes for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
I guess that we're all just waiting on that 1:00 p.m. news dump?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Yep. Some of that could be just not having tape on the scheme, I would assume.

But, it likely means he's aggressive too which I like.

You're not going to shut offenses down in this day and age. You need a DC that can blitz and get the blitzes home and create turnovers. Also minimize big plays and make teams have to string together 10-12-14 play drives to score.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Some of that could be just not having tape on the scheme, I would assume.

You're not going to shut offenses down in this day and age. You need a DC that can blitz and get the blitzes home and create turnovers. Also minimize big plays and make teams have to string together 10-12-14 play drives to score.

I just want a defense that can seal the deal on 3rd and short.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess that we're all just waiting on that 1:00 p.m. news dump?

I'm just waiting for the announcement so I can officially start referring to him as 'Captain Lou'.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know it seems like we are the 2013 Dolphins. But when you take a step back it's just 3 potential (not including Zac) members of the coaching staff from the Dolphins. Not as many as it feels.

I certainly understand the feeling tho, because it does feel like every time we turn around it's someone from the Dolphin staff he is looking at. But in thinking about it it's just Turner/Martin, Zac, and maybe this guy.

Not as bad as it feels.

....and at this stage of the game, we just need to roll with someone he is familiar with to get things up and running.

Twitter is causing folks to get carried away a bit, and this one cat on Cincy Jungle is STILL complaining in every article he writes about Turner....even if the article isn't about offense!

Jeez folks, back off the ledge a bit, and let's see what happens....lol.  Marv-ball is FINALLY gone, let's see what shakes out.  Myself, I was leaning more toward Bienemy as the HC, but we got Taylor.  I'm curious to see what he brings.  Did I mention Marv-ball is over?

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just want a defense that can seal the deal on 3rd and short.

True, but I'd just be happy if our D can get off the field on 3rd and long for once....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Some of that could be just not having tape on the scheme, I would assume.

All very true Pistons
Reply/Quote
Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a DC by the toe. If he hollers let him go, eeny meeny miney.....moe. It's beginning to sound like Zac is gonna have a big ol box of toes sitting around.. Zac the toe catcher! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:09 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: We're nothing like that team. People should relax and stop overreacting to every hire, good or bad.

The truth is, we are ALL completely ignorant as to the ability of Taylor as a HC, Callahan as a OC, and Anarumo as a DC. They could all be great, decent, or terrible in their own way. We'll have to wait and see.

People just want something to complain about, and think they know the future. I don't know about you, but as for me, I can't predict the future. If any of you fans out here can, show yourself!

Or else stop with the takes for crying out loud.

I'll predict the future. It'll be springtime come March 20th when the sun crosses the equator.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 10:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....but the defense did improve under him at Miami.....the stats above show that.

Yeah I was wrong about that. Saw someone say it and I parroted it without looking it up myself.

That said, in his 12 games as interim, they gave up 368.4 yards/game, which would've been good for 24th in the league. 

Hard to spin this guy as having any sort of good resume. He's never been a part of a great staff or team, his stint as an interim was mediocre at best, he hasn't developed a lot of guys in 7 years, etc. I get that people are excited over Taylor (I definitely am), but I don't see reason for excitement with some of this staff, particularly Turner and Anarumo (if he's hired). Just my opinion, but I think people are forcing themselves to like Anarumo because they don't want anything to sour the excitement surrounding Taylor.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It is now official Lou is the guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I was wrong about that. Saw someone say it and I parroted it without looking it up myself.

That said, in his 12 games as interim, they gave up 368.4 yards/game, which would've been good for 24th in the league. 

Hard to spin this guy as having any sort of good resume. He's never been a part of a great staff or team, his stint as an interim was mediocre at best, he hasn't developed a lot of guys in 7 years, etc. I get that people are excited over Taylor (I definitely am), but I don't see reason for excitement with some of this staff, particularly Turner and Anarumo (if he's hired). Just my opinion, but I think people are forcing themselves to like Anarumo because they don't want anything to sour the excitement surrounding Taylor.

24th is still better than 32nd. Sad

I'm not pumped about it either, but these are NFL level coaches, so I'll play the wait and see game.  I'm actually pretty pleased with the offensive side, sans Turner.  I'll just say I'm glad there is finally a DC and leave that at that.

Hey, I parroted a salary earlier this year and got burnt too....lol.  It happens.  Captain Lou is officially our DC now, hope he gets some good position coaches under him.

Reply/Quote
Taylor on hiring Anarumo:

“I’ve always had great respect for Lou, and I know he is a tremendous defensive coach. He’s a great fit for what we want to build here in Cincinnati. Lou is an excellent communicator who the players will have great respect for.”
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: 24th is still better than 32nd. Sad

I'm not pumped about it either, but these are NFL level coaches, so I'll play the wait and see game.  I'm actually pretty pleased with the offensive side, sans Turner.  I'll just say I'm glad there is finally a DC and leave that at that.

Hey, I parroted a salary earlier this year and got burnt too....lol.  It happens.  Captain Lou is officially our DC now, hope he gets some good position coaches under him.

Really what will make or break him is IF we add 2 new starting LB's. IF we do that, our defense should be a lot easier to coach.
Reply/Quote