Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
News: Joe Burrow had a grimace of pain for every step leaving the field.
(09-18-2023, 10:17 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: He took ~4 weeks off before, if he's back at square 1, I guess we need him out another 4+ games. Quickly they decide if this season is a wash. If 4 weeks wasn't enough before how will it be enough now.

exactly..if they dont want to tank they will go out and sign Wentz or Ryan...if we see Browning or Will I think writing is on wall.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 05:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: He just got 275 million and only started playing like a real QB in the last quarter and a half. Sorry but my sympathies for him having a calf ouchie are limited...

Same !
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, I can see them now talking about it, saying if we play him, he might aggravate it, but if we don't and don't win the first 2 games of the 17-game season, a large majority of the fanbase will turn on us and bring out the pitchforks. Gotta keep the villagers happy you know....

They can sacrifice the punter to ward off the mob.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:39 AM)kalibengal Wrote: exactly..if they dont want to tank they will go out and sign Wentz or Ryan...if we see Browning or Will I think writing is on wall.

With the talent at the skill positions we have, as long as we're not facing a top notch defense, I think we can still do well enough to win games with Browning at QB. Hell, maybe even with Grier.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: With the talent at the skill positions we have, as long as we're not facing a top notch defense, I think we can still do well enough to win games with Browning at QB. Hell, maybe even with Grier.

You don't want to see browning out there. Trust me.. I hope It's Grier...
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They can sacrifice the punter to ward off the mob.

I'm still on the fence about Robbins. While he doesn't have the big leg to get it way down the field, there is such a thing as outkicking your coverage. Robbins is averaging 40 yds per punt. Against the Ravens, he punted 120 yds and netted 118. Nobody is going to get a return, because our gunners are there at the same time the ball is. We saw the damage having time to get going and make a cut can do.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm still on the fence about Robbins. While he doesn't have the big leg to get it way down the field, there is such a thing as outkicking your coverage. Robbins is averaging 40 yds per punt. Against the Ravens, he punted 120 yds and netted 118. Nobody is going to get a return, because our gunners are there at the same time the ball is. We saw the damage having time to get going and make a cut can do.

It will also be interesting to see how his skill set fairs in a game where the Bengals are winning and controlling the game. Maybe his directional-punting expertise documented by scouts will shine. Right now, he is last in the league with the 40.7 average but I guess it's hard to know how much it matters since the entire team hasn't clicked yet.
Reply/Quote
with that 255 million, you WILL play with pain & injuries.. (Mike's philosophy) probably stipulated somewhere in the contract. The only time he'll be allowed a backup-QB is death and an arrest from the IRS. ha!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:50 AM)Tony Wrote: You don't want to see browning out there. Trust me.. I hope It's Grier...

Gonna be miserable
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Well the line moved nearly 3 points in the Rams direction its becoming a 5 alarm fire
Reply/Quote
Taylor saying they are waiting to hear from doctors before ruling him out.

He’s ******.

Maybe just maybe run it like a madman with Mix and try win 3 of these next 4 games see where Burrow is and try again.
Reply/Quote
Call me crazy but If Joe can’t go I’d feel better if we signed Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz as a backup who could potentially start if needed ,if joe misses extended time. Browning and Grier seem like practice squad type players. You can play D and try to hide a bad QB for only so long then there comes a time you gotta let it rip and make big boy throws. I get Wentz is reckless at least he has upside do make a huge play if that makes sense or an ability to play above a career backup.
Reply/Quote
Browns are still really the only team in the last 2 years to beat us by more than 3. We've lost 5 times by more than 3 and 4 of them were to Browns. Even a clearly injured Burrow keeps the loss to Ravens at 3. Without that pick we probably won that game too, which we didn't deserve to win.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 04:57 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Call me crazy but If Joe can’t go I’d feel better if we signed Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz as a backup who could potentially start if needed ,if joe misses extended time. Browning and Grier seem like practice squad type players. You can play D and try to hide a bad QB for only so long then there comes a time you gotta let it rip and make big boy throws. I get Wentz is reckless at least he has upside do make a huge play if that  makes sense or an ability to play above a career backup.

I think if Joe misses extended time or sits for rest of season, maybe Ryan or Wentz can get a lot of backup experience under their belt so we have a qualified backup next year that can lead us to a TD or win if Joe can't go.
Reply/Quote
The good news today is that he is not wearing a boot and is not walking with a noticeable limp. So now it is a matter of pain management and strength to deal with.
He gets an extra day of rest this week too so that will help.

If we've learned anything, it is despite his Superman-like status, Joe needs more than a week to be ready for the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 05:21 PM)pally Wrote: The good news today is that he is not wearing a boot and is not walking with a noticeable limp.  So now it is a matter of pain management and strength to deal with.
He gets an extra day of rest this week too so that will help.

If we've learned anything, it is despite his Superman-like status, Joe needs more than a week to be ready for the season

Link? I'm having a hard time finding the updates on the injury
Reply/Quote
Be simple - if they declare Burrow out it is in effect tapping out on the season. We'll be 0-3 with no hope and this season becomes an incredible disaster. It will also undo all the work the team has done since 2021 trying to win the fans back. So I doubt they do that.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:39 AM)kalibengal Wrote: exactly..if they dont want to tank they will go out and sign Wentz or Ryan...if we see Browning or Will I think writing is on wall.

Ryan has a job, and it's probably more lucrative than what he'd make getting his brains beat in.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor has just confirmed Burrow's reaggravated calf is sore today and he's unsure if Burrow will play Monday.

https://x.com/cincyproblems/status/1703857558304243898?s=46&t=pkni6GRbeTj3sw_si0D37w
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I don't see us getting someone like Wentz and taking time to get him up to speed (even if he would be good, which I doubt he would be) unless they're convinced Burrow is going to be out for months on end...even then, I still don't see them getting a scrapheap starter or trading for someone to come here and start.  Even if they put Burrow on season-ending IR tomorrow they'd roll with Grier and Browning since scrambling to get a starting QB rather than rolling with the backups is a move GMs and HCs who are at risk of losing their jobs do.

The last time Burrow got hurt we managed to stink our way into getting Chase, whom we would have no shot at if things didn't go badly.  If we still had Dalton on the roster we may have missed out, or maybe not since Dalton and ZT were hardly a winning duo in 2019.

If Burrow eventually is placed on ice for the year this is going to be like 2008 where our starting QB played hurt and we stunk then we just coasted for the rest of the year with a backup QB and no expectations and no pressure because we don't have the same pressure to regroup to save jobs that other franchises have, for good or ill.
Reply/Quote