Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
News: Joe Burrow had a grimace of pain for every step leaving the field.
Anyone sick of how Zac updates injuries? Like give it straight already... Always some dumb shit
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 05:30 PM)Trademark Wrote: Zac Taylor has just confirmed Burrow's reaggravated calf is sore today and he's unsure if Burrow will play Monday.

https://x.com/cincyproblems/status/1703857558304243898?s=46&t=pkni6GRbeTj3sw_si0D37w

That doesn't sound good. Even if he plays, it means limited practice getting ready for the Rams.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 05:51 PM)Tony Wrote: Anyone sick of how Zac updates injuries? Like give it straight already... Always some dumb shit

What do you want him to say? They have to just wait and see how manageable the pain is at this point. There’s no direct answer right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
So it's the ole "day to day" thing. Looks like they wasted 5-6 weeks or whatever it was from original injury. He clearly wasn't ready, Sunday proved it and now they are gonna see if he can play in 7 days? He makes one hard pivot and yanks it again and he is done for the year. TV ratings and all. Grier and Browning better be working with 1st team this week.
Reply/Quote
Per Chad Johnson in an interview they actually make it more likely to reinjure by over-resting and over-coddling a calf. He said to keep it loose the best way is to keep using it and ignore the pain.

And....there is a logic to that. Over resting a muscle can lead to it just staying locked instead of being forced to move and so gradually loosening. But anyway that was Chad's take.
Reply/Quote
Man I thought the days of accepting a lost season a few games into the season were over for a bit. Of course barring a major injury or injuries. I guess this falls into the injury but I think this is a total failure of the front office and coaching staff. They are the ones with all the info on the injury and they decided to not make any significant changes to the play book or go out and get a viable backup to make it more plausible to sit Burrow the 1st month of the season and maybe scrape out a win or two. Now we are sitting 0-2 with no idea if Burrow can play and if he can't when he will be able to.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Man I thought the days of accepting a lost season a few games into the season were over for a bit. Of course barring a major injury or injuries. I guess this falls into the injury but I think this is a total failure of the front office and coaching staff. They are the ones with all the info on the injury and they decided to not make any significant changes to the play book or go out and get a viable backup to make it more plausible to sit Burrow the 1st month of the season and maybe scrape out a win or two. Now we are sitting 0-2 with no idea if Burrow can play and if he can't when he will be able to.

Just remember Burrow told the fans that "those days of lost seasons" are over. Guess he was a bit premature...
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: Just remember Burrow told the fans that "those days of lost seasons" are over. Guess he was a bit premature...

Well outside of injuries I would hope they are over for the time being. But Burrow is partly responsible if he's telling coaches he can play. I'm hopeful he can play thru it. But he had 6 weeks off and he's still struggling with it and has to sit I don't know how long he would have to be out to let it heal. If it's another 6 weeks at what point do we just say sit the season? 
Reply/Quote
Any chance Collins was released because the FO already knew they might need to sign a better backup QB early on?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Man I thought the days of accepting a lost season a few games into the season were over for a bit. Of course barring a major injury or injuries. I guess this falls into the injury but I think this is a total failure of the front office and coaching staff. They are the ones with all the info on the injury and they decided to not make any significant changes to the play book or go out and get a viable backup to make it more plausible to sit Burrow the 1st month of the season and maybe scrape out a win or two. Now we are sitting 0-2 with no idea if Burrow can play and if he can't when he will be able to.

Who are these viable backups though?  I'm actually asking, not trying to argue.  We're going to need a guy a week from now to start if we are talking about Burrow missing time, so who do we get that gets 5 or 6 days of work in and gives us a better shot than the guys we have?  ZT doesn't seem to have a system guy like so many offensive minded HCs have that they just pull out of cold storage on a whim wherever they go.

If Tannehill retired after last year, he'd be a candidate for this sort of thing.  Matt Ryan has a job talking about football and Carson Wentz is a boneheaded bag of dingdongs from what I can tell.  Nic Foles has to be out of magic by now, right?

(09-18-2023, 06:29 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well outside of injuries I would hope they are over for the time being. But Burrow is partly responsible if he's telling coaches he can play. I'm hopeful he can play thru it. But he had 6 weeks off and he's still struggling with it and has to sit I don't know how long he would have to be out to let it heal. If it's another 6 weeks at what point do we just say sit the season? 

I think it's two fold, Burrow wants to play at all costs and ZT doesn't want to look down the barrel of an NFL game without Burrow ever again.  Side note, where is Ryan Finley?
Reply/Quote
Burrow gets hit by a 300 pound lineman every time he throws the ball and led us to a superbowl and back to back Afc championship games. Then people wonder why his body is breaking down, and get pissed because he's not playing at an elite level because of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 05:51 PM)Tony Wrote: Anyone sick of how Zac updates injuries? Like give it straight already... Always some dumb shit

like what do you expect him to say.  They are limited to what they can reveal without the player's permission.  And in this case, he probably is telling it like it is.  It's a muscle strain and until they see how it responds to treatment and Joe's availability to move around and throw, they don't know what is next.  The only thing they know for sure at this point is that he doesn't have a because that would mean IR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
At least on this message board, fans were adamant that the Bengals needed a good backup QB to get the team through a game or two that Burrow might miss. If Burrow misses a game or two with the current backup QB and already an 0-2 start, then it could sink the season. Browning has yet to complete an NFL pass and when he got into two series against Cleveland it was basically hand the ball off and kneel down.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who are these viable backups though?  I'm actually asking, not trying to argue.  We're going to need a guy a week from now to start if we are talking about Burrow missing time, so who do we get that gets 5 or 6 days of work in and gives us a better shot than the guys we have?  ZT doesn't seem to have a system guy like so many offensive minded HCs have that they just pull out of cold storage on a whim wherever they go.

If Tannehill retired after last year, he'd be a candidate for this sort of thing.  Matt Ryan has a job talking about football and Carson Wentz is a boneheaded bag of dingdongs from what I can tell.  Nic Foles has to be out of magic by now, right?

Well I meant after the injury happened in camp they should've been looking to bring in a viable back up. I would've personally been trying to get Dalton in and seeing if a late Rd pick could've freed him up. But I suppose Wentz might have been a realistic answer but not sure if money situation would have worked out. As far as now? I'm not sure there is a guy you could pull in I suppose Wentz is still available but not sure that route would be worth it at this point. 

I'm just frustrated because as fans we are all left in the dark. Outside speculation was Burrow would miss the 1st month of the season but everything from the team said he would be ready week 1. Now here we are 3 weeks in and he obviously wasn't ready and may be missing even more time. Didn't Hurst strain his calf last year? I didn't think he missed much time.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:38 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Burrow gets hit by a 300 pound lineman every time he throws the ball and led us to a superbowl and back to back Afc championship games. Then people wonder why his body is breaking down, and get pissed because he's not playing at an elite level because of it.

And he's taken a lot of late shots after he's released the ball. If he misses time, and marque games like MNF, then maybe the NFL will look at how often the refs let Cleveland and Baltimore and Pittsburgh get in their extra shots on Burrow. And I'm still ticked how they let KC get in a very late shot on Burrow in the playoff game without drawing a penalty. And then some QBs get barely touched and there's a flag.
Reply/Quote

Sorry we have very little information to verify the assumption that his calf issue was going to linger... We have no clue what the doctors were saying, what trainers were saying and lets be honest no clue what Burrow was saying behind the scenes.  Though i believe Joe was quoted saying he would be ready and good to go for Game 1, if he actually said that then from your perspective more blame on Joe since he led the Bengals down a road of we are all good.

I also remember reading a few experts say this could feel good but aggravate like a hamstring.. these type of injury could just pop up after you feel fine. 

The way we played 1st game, regardless if Burrow was 100% we were losing that game and might be sitting 1-1.  The team needs to play better as a whole, and is good enough to win with the backups we have on roster if they play to the level we have seen in the recent past.
Reply/Quote
Can we get a wild card spot with 7 losses. 11 wins may be the magic number. 10 may do it, but they may need help.

Can we go 2-2 over the next 4 with a backup. 1-3. Burrow is set to miss time and it’s what’s best for his future so you hate to see it but each year has its on challenge.

If we go 0-6 (Which with Zac calling plays, it’s likely). Sit Burrow for the season and hope the top 5 pick came attract some draft capital.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:46 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I meant after the injury happened in camp they should've been looking to bring in a viable back up. I would've personally been trying to get Dalton in and seeing if a late Rd pick could've freed him up. But I suppose Wentz might have been a realistic answer but not sure if money situation would have worked out. As far as now? I'm not sure there is a guy you could pull in I suppose Wentz is still available but not sure that route would be worth it at this point. 

I'm just frustrated because as fans we are all left in the dark. Outside speculation was Burrow would miss the 1st month of the season but everything from the team said he would be ready week 1. Now here we are 3 weeks in and he obviously wasn't ready and may be missing even more time. Didn't Hurst strain his calf last year? I didn't think he missed much time.

Well like I said, it sucked when Burrow got hurt in his rookie year but we stunk our way into Chase who played a major role in our instant turnaround.  Our FO and our HC aren't going anywhere, so I can see why they got pretty lax when it comes to making sure their QB who got carted off the field before the season has anyone of note behind him.

Who knows, instead of giving #1 money to Tee next year maybe we Browning our way to drafting his replacement and end up all the better for it.  Or maybe we still salvage this season...all I'm saying is that even if this season is a total wash and it was completely botched by the FO and ZT, nothing much is going to come of it.  Heads are not going to roll.

Oh and maybe Burrow is the Bledsoe to Browning's Brady...I mean, it's possible, right? EDIT - Wait...he's already 27?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Per Chad Johnson in an interview they actually make it more likely to reinjure by over-resting and over-coddling a calf. He said to keep it loose the best way is to keep using it and ignore the pain.

And....there is a logic to that. Over resting a muscle can lead to it just staying locked instead of being forced to move and so gradually loosening. But anyway that was Chad's take.

Sadly, the only way a person can use their calf is playing an NFL game. 

Ninja
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Well if he’s out then time to tank. We could a high pick for more picks, get a top tackle or get Harrison Jr. No reason to go 7-10. Well to be honest, they wouldn’t have to tank if they roll Browning out. It’s built in.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote