Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals HC?
(09-19-2017, 09:00 AM)McC Wrote: Some coaches do better the second time around and I believe this could be the case for him.

Curse of the Browns when they let Bill B AND Nick Saben go! Whoever it is, they need full control as to who their staff would be. Need to go all in, no more holdovers unless the new guy wants them here.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 11:25 AM)CincyWestside Wrote: Josh McDaniels is my first choice. He fizzled in Denver because he failed to get his choice for QB in Cassel in a trade. He had to deal with the divas of Cutler and Brandon Marshall (the WR) and the GM's decision to draft Tim Tebow.

I believe McDaniels will bring a lot to the table in helm as a Bengals HC. He is young and emotional which would be a new element to this coaching staff. Also, he has learned from the best in Bill Belichik. He would be able to have the Bengals prepared for primetime, divisional, and playoff games. He also knows how to exploit the weaknesses of the opponent. I think in one of those Super Bowl specials, they noticed that Edelman's quickness was hard for Sherman to cover and it ended in him getting a touchdown on football's biggest stage.

Therefore, I believe that Josh McDaniels is exactly what this team needs to get over the hump. I almost see it as a Tony Dungy/Jon Gruden like set up. Marvin, like Tony, has gotten this team out of the dark ages and has a strong core of players who could definitely compete for a championship with the right coaching, we just need the Josh, like Jon, to come in and fire this team up to win one.

Yes.  Please bring the Patriot Way here.  For attention to detail, if nothing else.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 11:17 AM)jowczarski Wrote: 1. Don't assume a promotion.
2. Don't assume it's someone they "know."
3. It's not Jon Gruden.

Are you saying Marv getting the boot is a possibility?  Please say yes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 12:11 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.  Please bring the Patriot Way here.  For attention to detail, if nothing else.

I don't know. Belicheck's assistants have had a pretty bad track record as HC's in the Pros.

McDaniel got fired after 22 months in Denver. He supposedly was sloppy and not very detail oriented.

The Patriots have a great system in the NFL. We'd need whoever comes here to create that system from scratch. There's a big difference between operating in a successful system and creating a system from scratch.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 12:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Belicheck's assistants have had a pretty bad track record as HC's in the Pros.

McDaniel got fired after 22 months in Denver. He supposedly was sloppy and not very detail oriented.

The Patriots have a great system in the NFL. We'd need whoever comes here to create that system from scratch. There's a big difference between operating in a successful system and creating a system from scratch.

Again I'll say--he might not have been ready the first time around but I'd be more than willing to gamble he'll be ready the next time.  And there most certainly will be a next time.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 12:13 PM)McC Wrote: Are you saying Marv getting the boot is a possibility?  Please say yes.

I think it's more likely that Marv "retires" or is not "given an extension". I don't think they'd publicly terminate him (as much joy as that would bring me). 

But I'm slowly letting myself believe the team is looking at life after Marv. It's long overdue but hopefully those days are on the horizon. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 12:19 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I think it's more likely that Marv "retires" or is not "given an extension". I don't think they'd publicly terminate him (as much joy as that would bring me). 

But I'm slowly letting myself believe the team is looking at life after Marv. It's long overdue but hopefully those days are on the horizon. 
Here's hoping you are right.  There might be a door out of Purgatory after all.  (Crosses fingers, tries not to get too excited at the thought).

Reply/Quote
Matt Patricia- current DC of the Patriots.

Hue Jackson

This DC you mentioned from Detroit sounds pretty interesting too. 

I don't think I want Josh McDaniels.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Browns are 0-2. My best case scenario is that they have just as crappy a year as we do, Hue gets fired, and we pick him up as our HC. He will have success here. Nobody has success with the Browns. Not even Bellichick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 12:17 PM)McC Wrote: Again I'll say--he might not have been ready the first time around but I'd be more than willing to gamble he'll be ready the next time.  And there most certainly will be a next time.

I could see that. I think hopefully he would have learned from those mistakes too.

I have no clue if he's a guy that could come in and build a system and culture from scratch under the constraints the Brown family makes him operate under.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I could see that. I think hopefully he would have learned from those mistakes too.

I have no clue if he's a guy that could come in and build a system and culture from scratch under the constraints the Brown family makes him operate under.

That's the billion dollar question.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 01:24 PM)McC Wrote: That's the billion dollar question.

It would be fairly hard to set the Patriots system up here. They have tremendous discipline. They have leaders. They have a great organizational culture. They have a HOF QB.

Here, management signs players with off-the-field issues if they have talent. It's just harder to control these types of guys in general.

Remember when the Bengals got rid of Chris Henry, then Marvin said he wouldn't be back...and Mike Brown signed him? Stuff like that undermines a coach.
Reply/Quote
Trade Andy Dalton for Sean Payton and a couple of years from Drew Brees.
Reply/Quote
Payton might be fired this year by the Saints. No need to trade.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It would be fairly hard to set the Patriots system up here. They have tremendous discipline. They have leaders. They have a great organizational culture. They have a HOF QB.

Here, management signs players with off-the-field issues if they have talent. It's just harder to control these types of guys in general.

Remember when the Bengals got rid of Chris Henry, then Marvin said he wouldn't be back...and Mike Brown signed him? Stuff like that undermines a coach.

If only the discipline was truly instituted, that in itself would be a huge boost.

I think the killer instinct and aggressive, attacking style would be big too.

No, he probably couldn't bring the whole thing here but certain elements of it would be a major change for the better.

No, we don't have a HOF QB but don't forget, the Patriots win whoever their QB is.

Reply/Quote
It will be Paul Gunther unless one of these gets fired.

Hue Jackson
Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It will be Paul Gunther unless one of these gets fired.  

Hue Jackson
Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden

I would bet my house that it ISN'T one of those guys - provided the Bengals finish 5-11 or worse.

There is absolutely no way they stay in house for a coach when the team is that bad.  Not a shot.

That being said, look for guys with some Bengals ties that could be in the mix (lesser known guys):

I'll throw this one out there - Marquand Manual.  He's been in Seattle and is now the DC in Atlanta.  Young guy, played here and has a lot of passion and fire.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 11:17 AM)jowczarski Wrote: 1. Don't assume a promotion.
2. Don't assume it's someone they "know."
3. It's not Jon Gruden.

Are you implying that there has already been discussions in the Bengal front office as to our coaching situation? Namely the decision has been made or leaning towards letting Marvin's contract expire AND they have an idea on who they would look to replace him?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Are you implying that there has already been discussions in the Bengal front office as to our coaching situation? Namely the decision has been made or leaning towards letting Marvin's contract expire AND they have an idea on who they would look to replace him?

That's pretty much what I got from it.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:15 PM)McC Wrote: That's pretty much what I got from it.

If true, you just KNOW that we're going to make the playoffs which will be enough for Brown to offer Lewis an extension. That's the luck of a Bengal fan right there. Sad
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote