Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals HC?
We'll probably hire former 'chain-smoking' TE Sean Brewer as our next coach in the Bruce Costlet 'chain-smoking' TE mold:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If true, you just KNOW that we're going to make the playoffs which will be enough for Brown to offer Lewis an extension. That's the luck of a Bengal fan right there. Sad

You aint lying. 

The past four years an 0-2 team has made the playoffs. But lets assume that's good news for the giants  Wink
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One thing to keep in mind regarding a new head coach - even if the Bengals want to hire Guenther, they will have to at least interview one minority candidate. That would give a young up and coming guy at least an audience before they would go status quo.

I still strongly feel that they go outside of the team for the next one.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: One thing to keep in mind regarding a new head coach - even if the Bengals want to hire Guenther, they will have to at least interview one minority candidate.  That would give a young up and coming guy at least an audience before they would go status quo.

That would be so nice.  I think Simmons might do a good job but it's time for new blood and he picks his own staff.  I would hope Simmons would stay but I must say, his hand picked kicker took some of the shine off his resume in my mind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: One thing to keep in mind regarding a new head coach - even if the Bengals want to hire Guenther, they will have to at least interview one minority candidate.  That would give a young up and coming guy at least an audience before they would go status quo.

Honestly, even if they hire Guenther, what is just as important is cleaning house. It's of utmost importance to hire a new HC and make him have to hire a whole new coaching staff. Don't even hint that he can interview those that were here under Lewis. In fact, make it seem like he can't (don't say that he can't, but strongly imply that he needs to bring in all new guys). Give the new coach FULL control over who to hire with ZERO influence.

If they did this, it would make hiring Guenther a little bit more palatable (though I still would rather it be someone from outside the organization).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Honestly, even if they hire Guenther, what is just as important is cleaning house. It's of utmost importance to hire a new HC and make him have to hire a whole new coaching staff. Don't even hint that he can interview those that were here under Lewis. In fact, make it seem like he can't (don't say that he can't, but strongly imply that he needs to bring in all new guys). Give the new coach FULL control over who to hire with ZERO influence.

If they did this, it would make hiring Guenther a little bit more palatable (though I still would rather it be someone from outside the organization).

I just don't think Guenther has the fire and ability to motivate guys. I don't see him as being highly organized either.

It's kind of a lazy hire.

The next great HC is out there...we just have to find him.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 05:27 PM)corpjet Wrote: I'll pass on him, he flunked in Denver and hasn't impressed when his BFF Tom Brady isn't at the helm.....

I much would rather see old mikey boy to go out of his zone and go get big Anthony Munoz as our next head coach.He is a natural leader,players would and do respect him,he is a HOFer.The city would be stoked and his first hire would and should be DAVE LAPHAM for O-line coach.Go get ken Anderson to coach Dalton or whoever. and lets get this thing going.If that were to happen and it could.There has been a letter sent to Mike Brown about this very subject.There are discussions being made about what the future holds with this organization and they know its time to make some huge changes.Hiring the HOF.would be a no-brainer.He would surround himself with winners and I know we would have the best O-line in the NFL.
As far as I am thinking I believe the season is already over and the world knows they do not have a chance in hell to whip the packers at their joint.This season could be a 500 season or worse.The players will pack it in as soon as the weather gets bad knowing they no chance of the post-season and I could see the stoolers taking it all the way as bad as I hate to say it.I just hope the Falcons are in it again and finally get a ring.I am so so ticked off at this coaching staff and how they are ruining a lot of good players.The players are already losing respect for the staff and that is as bad as it gets.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 11:17 AM)jowczarski Wrote: 1. Don't assume a promotion.
2. Don't assume it's someone they "know."
3. It's not Jon Gruden.

Holy crap, we're looking at Lane Kiffin aren't we?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:40 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I much would rather see old mikey boy to go out of his zone and go get big Anthony Munoz as our next head coach.He is a natural leader,players would and do respect him,he is a HOFer.The city would be stoked and his first hire would and should be DAVE LAPHAM for O-line coach.Go get ken Anderson to coach Dalton or whoever. and lets get this thing going.If that were to happen and it could.There has been a letter sent to Mike Brown about this very subject.There are discussions being made about what the future holds with this organization and they know its time to make some huge changes.Hiring the HOF.would be a no-brainer.He would surround himself with winners and I know we would have the best O-line in the NFL.
As far as I am thinking I believe the season is already over and the world knows they do not have a chance in hell to whip the packers at their joint.This season could be a 500 season or worse.The players will pack it in as soon as the weather gets bad knowing they no chance of the post-season and I could see the stoolers taking it all the way as bad as I hate to say it.I just hope the Falcons are in it again and finally get a ring.I am so so ticked off at this coaching staff and how they are ruining a lot of good players.The players are already losing respect for the staff and that is as bad as it gets.

You're not the first to suggest the Bengals hire Ken Anderson as the new QB coach. 

Do those of you that do, do you not remember that he USED TO BE THE QB COACH in the 90s? Back when we had such luminaries at the positoin like Klingler and Akili. While he might not be the cause of the poor QB play during his time here, the fact remains he was on the coaching staff during one of the worst decades a pro sports franchise can have.

I don't hate the guy, but I don't want ANYONE from that era on this team.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 05:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You're not the first to suggest the Bengals hire Ken Anderson as the new QB coach. 

Do those of you that do, do you not remember that he USED TO BE THE QB COACH in the 90s? Back when we had such luminaries at the positoin like Klingler and Akili. While he might not be the cause of the poor QB play during his time here, the fact remains he was on the coaching staff during one of the worst decades a pro sports franchise can have.

I don't hate the guy, but I don't want ANYONE from that era on this team.

Let's not forget he Coached Big Jen when Pukesburgh had that awful Offensive line
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:40 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I much would rather see old mikey boy to go out of his zone and go get big Anthony Munoz as our next head coach.He is a natural leader,players would and do respect him,he is a HOFer.The city would be stoked and his first hire would and should be DAVE LAPHAM for O-line coach.Go get ken Anderson to coach Dalton or whoever. and lets get this thing going.If that were to happen and it could.There has been a letter sent to Mike Brown about this very subject.There are discussions being made about what the future holds with this organization and they know its time to make some huge changes.Hiring the HOF.would be a no-brainer.He would surround himself with winners and I know we would have the best O-line in the NFL.

I love Munoz, but that's an absolutely terrible idea.  Why would you hire a guy that has zero NFL coaching experience (or college) to coach a Pro Team?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 05:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I love Munoz, but that's an absolutely terrible idea.  Why would you hire a guy that has zero NFL coaching experience (or college) to coach a Pro Team?

He's also shown no interest in being an OL coach. 
If he wanted to be an OL coach, he would have had his pick of places when he retired. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 05:30 PM)bengals73 Wrote: Let's not forget he Coached Big Jen when Pukesburgh had that awful Offensive line

Yep. Big Ben had two very good years under Ken Anderson. He struggled in 2006, then in 2007 had a career year with 32 TDs and 11 INTs. In 2009 he went 26 TDs to 12 INTs. Big Ben had a QB rating of over 100 2 of the 3 years Anderson was his QB coach. Big Ben has only ever reached a QB rating of 100 or better for a year 1 time in his career other than that.

He was also with Jacksonville as a WR and QB coach. The passing offense improved greatly over those 3 years. INTs went down and TDs went up. In 2006 it stumbled and he was fired. He then moved to Pittsburgh, and we saw how well that went.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of Dave Lapham as the O line coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 06:58 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I like the idea of Dave Lapham as the O line coach.

I don't.  Just because he can analyze a game doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.  Hiring him would be a "typical" Bengals move.

We need proven guys.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 11:17 AM)jowczarski Wrote: 1. Don't assume a promotion.
2. Don't assume it's someone they "know."
3. It's not Jon Gruden.

AJ McCarron guy?
Reply/Quote
If they went outside and not someone they knew. Then they had better kick the tires on Josh McDaniels
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 01:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If they went outside and not someone they knew. Then they had better kick the tires on Josh McDaniels

Yeah, maybe he can do for the Bengals what he did for the Broncos. Although he single handedly destroyed that franchise, he did get a playoff win with Tim Tebow which is more than Mike and Marvin have in their combined 41 years as GM and coach of the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Todd Downing

Current Raiders OC has coached both sides of the ball.

Steve Sarkisian would also be a possibility.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Sarkisian would be such a Bengals hire.

While HC of USC in 2015 he showed up to a practice drunk. He was also supposedly drunk during a game at ASU.

The alcohol-related incidents follow him back to when he was a coach at Washington.
Reply/Quote