Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Man Up.
(10-24-2022, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, Apple still got beat like a drum on that play. His recovery speed is for shit lately.

He didn't open his hips and retreat fast enough. Once he backpedaled a few yards too long, it was over.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For EVERYBODY in this thread that told me CTB played well:

He had a PFF rating in the 30s
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 08:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For EVERYBODY in this thread that told me CTB played well:

41.2 in coverage. 37 overall.

Which was still better than Apple.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 08:58 PM)Nicomo C osca Wrote: 41.2 in coverage. 37 overall.

so, what I said

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 08:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 41.2 in coverage. 37 overall.

Is it? I've already pointed out the issue with Apple's PFF score. 

The long TD was more due to Vonn Bell jumping the underneath route in cover 6 and opening the middle of the field to the post.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Is it? I've already pointed out the issue with Apple's PFF score. 

The long TD was more due to Vonn Bell jumping the underneath route in cover 6 and opening the middle of the field to the post.

We all want CTB to be a stud, but he's not there yet. As I said: It was his first action of the year and his first ever NFL action; it looked it. 

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Is it? I've already pointed out the issue with Apple's PFF score. 

Apple didn’t have a 29 because of one play. He’s been bad in coverage a lot lately.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apple didn’t have a 29 because of one play. He’s been bad in coverage a lot lately.

His 1st TD he's given up all year. It happens to all CBs. No need to beat the guy down for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apple didn’t have a 29 because of one play. He’s been bad in coverage a lot lately.

Of course it was...

Apple played 16 total snaps. Mariota and the Falcons only had 13 pass plays the entire game with 75 of a total 124 yards and only Pass TD on that one play...

Im not saying Eli Apple is the best corner ever but that play wasnt on him and his PFF score against the Falcons is very skewed considering that play was on Bell.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: His 1st TD he's given up all year. It happens to all CBs. No need to beat the guy down for it.

Tell that to Lou.

Reply/Quote

Anecdotal here, but I know a guy who briefly did some grading for PFF. His description was as follows…

Most of their “analysts” are college students. They pay between $12-$15 per hour. They are given a grading rubric and grade the plays in 0.5 increments. If they are more than 0.5 off, they call in a senior analyst who makes a final decision. They are given no training beforehand. If they don’t know what they are seeing, they are told to give a zero.

PFF grades are a small step above the casual fan, but only barely. If what he is saying is true, then there is no reason to put much stock into them if you know much about football.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 08:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For EVERYBODY in this thread that told me CTB played well:

Hobson had some quotes that indicated he did fine:

"Coming out of Nebraska, Taylor-Britt had a charismatic rep with some swag and excellent reviews coming up to play the run. All that was on display after Falcons quarterback Marcus Mariota chose not to throw the ball his way.

"But I like the ball, too," Taylor-Britt said. "I just didn't get a chance."

And Anarumo thought he did fine:

"He's a confident guy and covered. He didn't get challenged really in terms of balls thrown his way. He's very, very aggressive, obviously can run and all that stuff. Obviously there's a whole lot more that goes into it, but it was a good first game for him."

And Hubbard praised him:

"He's physical. I love him out there," Hubbard said. "He's got great energy. He's a fun player to be around. I'm really happy he got his feet wet. The minute he came in the door you could see his speed and athleticism. I like his attitude. He's a dog and that transfers to the field."
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Of course it was...

Apple played 16 total snaps. Mariota and the Falcons only had 13 pass plays the entire game with 75 of a total 124 yards and only Pass TD on that one play...

Im not saying Eli Apple is the best corner ever but that play wasnt on him and his PFF score against the Falcons is very skewed considering that play was on Bell.

You can’t drop that much on one play.

THE GRADING SCALE
Each player is given a grade of -2 to +2 in 0.5 increments on a given play with 0 generally being the average or “expected” grade. There are a few exceptions as each position group has different rules, but those are the basics. The zero grade is important as most plays feature many players doing their job at a reasonable, or expected, level, so not every player on every play needs to earn a positive or a negative.

At one end of the scale you have a catastrophic game-ending interception or pick-six from a quarterback, and at the other a perfect deep bomb into a tight window in a critical game situation.

https://www.pff.com/grades

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: His 1st TD he's given up all year. It happens to all CBs. No need to beat the guy down for it.

This is basically what Anarumo stated:

""This is the NFL. Every corner gives up plays," said Anarumo, who says Apple is playing well. "Go look at all of them. The best. Show me one that didn't and I'll show you a corner that has. It's a tough league when you're playing DB and they're all going to get beat at some point. It's just how they respond, so that's what's important."
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Anecdotal here, but I know a guy who briefly did some grading for PFF. His description was as follows…

Most of their “analysts” are college students. They pay between $12-$15 per hour. They are given a grading rubric and grade the plays in 0.5 increments. If they are more than 0.5 off, they call in a senior analyst who makes a final decision. They are given no training beforehand. If they don’t know what they are seeing, they are told to give a zero.

PFF grades are a small step above the casual fan, but only barely. If what he is saying is true, then there is no reason to put much stock into them if you know much about football.

Ive said several times PFF Analytics department is outstanding but their player grades from "film study" are crap.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: This is basically what Anarumo stated:

""This is the NFL. Every corner gives up plays," said Anarumo, who says Apple is playing well. "Go look at all of them. The best. Show me one that didn't and I'll show you a corner that has. It's a tough league when you're playing DB and they're all going to get beat at some point. It's just how they respond, so that's what's important."

Doesn’t really coincide with benching him.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Ive said several times PFF Analytics department is outstanding but their player grades from "film study" are crap.

Agreed. Fantastic data, poor film study.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Ive said several times PFF Analytics department is outstanding but their player grades from "film study" are crap.

Zac Robinson is the QB coach for the Rams. He worked at PFF so that’s not entirely accurate. He’s a big believer in PFF.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 11:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac Robinson is the QB coach for the Rams. He worked at PFF so that’s not entirely accurate. He’s a big believer in PFF.

They used to employ several former coaches and college players that was what turned them into who they are now... but the last couple years its college students watching tape getting the "game grades" out quickly for average fans.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t really coincide with benching him.

Ararumo said he wasn't benching him for the play, but the plan all along was to get the rookie reps.
Reply/Quote