Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Vigil a Bengal
I had a feeling we would screw up this 3rd pick. This is the first time I turned the TV off this early in the draft several picks before us. I was hoping to turn it on and see Hargraves, Garrett, hell even Higbee, I can see Billings not there if he is hurt, but damn. I just need to go to bed. pissed me off more than the J.Simpson pick.
Reply/Quote
He can tackle, he can move, seems like a reasonable pick here. Not sure why everyone's panties are in a bunch over this guy being the pick.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals must have had a bet going, to pick the one guy that would create the most dead air for ESPN. All they could come up with? "Uh... his brother played in 16 games for Miami last year and started in two."

Man, I do not get this draft. We need a receiver, center, DT (in reverse order of need there). All those guys would likely get into the rotation. So we take a corner who probably won't see the field, a receiver and a linebacker who — the only thing I can figure — is going to be brought in on passing downs once they can teach him a playbook. WTF!? There's decent DL talent on the board and we bring in a situational linebacker.

I'm, not dogging the Bengals. Last season was awesome and the next looks to be even better. But crap, we haven't done much to improve the team the last two drafts outside of replacing Andre Smith.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree, linebacker was not needed and why not take the Ohio state guy,I love the ffirst two picks,third round we had to be stupid.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:44 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: He can tackle, he can move, seems like a reasonable pick here. Not sure why everyone's panties are in a bunch over this guy being the pick.

Two words: name recognition
Reply/Quote
If this makes anyone feel any better. Thought is was funny considering how things went for Jack and Billings still dropping like a rock.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639751/article/myles-jack-leads-2016-nfl-drafts-safest-picks-among-lbs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639740/article/billings-leads-2016-drafts-safest-picks-among-interior-dlinemen
Reply/Quote
After watching some tape on this kid, it might take a year or two of grooming behind Rey M., but he could be quite a sleeper. Guenther compared him to Keuchley in term of his quickness, speed, and ability in pass coverage.

Also from watching tape, I saw that he whiffed on tackles a bit early in his career. I didn't see much of that in tapes from 2015. I'm not as pissed with the pick as I was earlier
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Not the name I was expecting to wake up to find we'd drafted and it feels like a reach pick but, on balance, I'm more Vigilante than Vigil-anti.

(Sorry! I'll get my coat...)
Reply/Quote
From the transcript, he may have an immediate impact on special teams and work his way up the LB chart.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: Two words: name recognition
Exactly the same reason we have the congress we have.. Name recognition.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I have been looking over some games that he's played in and this is what I see. He's very agile, he has good instincts, and he's versatile. He's not a very fast down hill runner, and he has a small frame and isn't very strong. I seen him get ragdolled a few times, and it kind of worries me that he might constantly get ragdolled in the NFL. This guy to me is a project pick that has a lot of upside if he is able to get stronger. I think we reached a little bit on this guy, but I'm going to wait and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
Brownshoe, the NFL is pretty good at putting muscle and weight on players. They have full time staffs that do very little more than just that. He'll be considerably stronger this time next year. You can bank on that.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 02:58 AM)jeremydc Wrote: From the transcript, he may have an immediate impact on special teams and work his way up the LB chart.

We could have grabbed him in the 4th and taken Billings in the 3rd.  Cry
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 03:19 AM)magikod Wrote: We could have grabbed him in the 4th and taken Billings in the 3rd.  Cry

More likely than not but you never know.

Reply/Quote
Im not pissed at the Kid, not his fault im just pissed that we passed on a DT that had something like 30 sacks. Looks like Peko is here to stay. since 1988 almost 30 years we have only taken 2 DT in the first 2 rounds..and 5 DE's, but Marvin has drafted something like 14 LB's. Not counting Pollack how many greats have we produced. I will believe this pick when i see him 3 years from now making plays, thats if he dosent get hurt playing ST his first 3 years. So freakin tired of hearing about how we got a good ST player to develop or a guy that might be able to contribute in a couple years with our first 3 picks. I know they are just kids but damn. If the NFL stopped doing KO's and Punts we wouldnt know who the hell to draft. Im just drunk and ranting going to bed pissed again tonight.
Reply/Quote
Billings may be there tomorrow. If not, I'm sure they have a few decent DTs up their sleeves.

Reply/Quote
I trust Guenther about LBs more than i do marvin. Sounds like Guenther really likes the guy. And the Kuechly comps are lofty.

Trusting Tobin on this one.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:16 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Well hopefully we got our WTF pick out of the way.

Thats a false statement.
I've seen him ranked as 103 best player in the draft with a draft round projection of 3rd-6th. The "know it alls draft gurus" focus mainly on big school top conference guys and sprinkle in a few small school guys that people talk about and rank them low. CBS gave us an A on this pick.

You have to really dig and do homework on smaller school guys.

Virgil is very shifty and has a nice burst. His instincts overall are pretty good. He used to be a rb so he can diagnose offensive plays quickly. At the very least he will be on special teams this year while he's developing.

Give him a chance before you write him off. For those wanting a DT, Billings is still there. And people bitching about not taking Hargrave, he's from a small school as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:29 AM)Okeana Wrote: When Hargrave is winning post season games for the steelers you can send nick vigil the thank you cards
He would have been a great pick for us but he's shit for the Steelers' scheme.  They keep drafting horribly.  The only bright side to us not drafting him is the Steelers did.
(04-30-2016, 12:34 AM)Shady Wrote: Yeah, not that impressed with today's performance by our draft gurus.  
PFF gave Boyd a Grade of C+
Vigil got a C.
I disagree with the Boyle grade because Thomas went early and he was the best receiver for us left.
(04-30-2016, 12:42 AM)TKUHL Wrote: We screwed this draft up in the first. Nothing against the kid we took, i just think if we really liked 3 of the WR's that came off the board ahead of us we should have got off our ass and made a move. Then we could have went with the D line/ DB in the 2nd or BPA. Then Garrett or Braverman in the 4th or 5th. Of course nobody knows how this draft will turn out for 2-3 years but as for now I think we may have the worst draft Ive seen in a long time.

None of the receivers before us fit what we needed.  I was pissed when Thomas went earlier, but he was the only better fit for us.  

I am pissed that we didn't take Billings or Hargrave.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 03:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: Brownshoe, the NFL is pretty good at putting muscle and weight on players. They have full time staffs that do very little more than just that. He'll be considerably stronger this time next year. You can bank on that.

That and pretty much support all you can eat. Calvin Johnson came in the NFL a rail, and dude put on mass pretty quick. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote