Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nirvana
(09-03-2015, 04:05 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Who are the other 3?

Nickelback and Creed
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:05 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Who are the other 3?

3 other bands (from the same city) that don't really sound like Nirvana or each other that much.  My guess would be Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:22 PM)jason Wrote: 3 other bands (from the same city) that don't really sound like Nirvana or each other that much.  My guess would be Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains.

I was thinking of Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, but Pearl Jam slipped the mind.

The only one that I was ever a big fan of was Soundgarden.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:24 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I was thinking of Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, but Pearl Jam slipped the mind.

The only one that I was ever a big fan of was Soundgarden.

Man do I love Soundgarden.  Saw them open for NIN last year, I was completely surprised that they were still as good as they were in the 90's

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:35 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Man do I love Soundgarden.  Saw them open for NIN last year, I was completely surprised that they were still as good as they were in the 90's

Nobody was better than Cornell in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:40 PM)86AD Wrote: Nobody was better than Cornell in his prime.

Cornell was awesome but the best of all time...I don't think so.  To each there own I guess. 

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:43 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Cornell was awesome but the best of all time...I don't think so.  To each there own I guess. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
interesting, take from it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt4UuWqm1ZQ
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:21 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If anything he would want Love dead. I think this Tom Grant guy is who I heard. http://www.cobaincase.com/events.htm

Not saying he did it, but Dave could've had motive. Nirvana was in a lot of turmoil at the time. Dave and Chris were pissed because Kurt started taking 100% of all songwriting credit and the royalties that came with. A lot of bands split the royalties regardless of who does the most writing. Plus there were rumors that Kurt wanted out. Nirvana was a cash cow back then.

(08-30-2015, 06:16 PM)jason Wrote: I have a suspicion that some of, if not all of the songs are Hole's 2nd record were Cobain songs.  I don't know that she killed him or anything like that, but Doll Parts and Violet just scream Nirvana to me.

A lot of people feel that way. Notice that Kurt went through some serious writers block between In Utero and Live Through This. Maybe because he gave some of his songs to Courtney. Also, Hole's sound changed completely on Celebrity Skin, which was produced by Billy Corgan. Corgan made claims that he wrote many of the songs on that album.

(09-01-2015, 12:43 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I really am amazed at how much personal hatred there is for this guy.  When I posted the thread, I was basically waxing nostalgia, I certainly didn't expect this much hatred.  Your hatred is almost Justin Bieber level. LOL

Kurt isn't well-liked by guitar players, particularly those who loved the old school "guitar hero". Kurt wasn't a very skilled guitar player. He was just an excellent song writer. To those saying he was all about power chords, Kurt was heavily influenced by punk rock and punk is all about the power chords. Either way, Kurt proved that you don't need to be a guitar prodigy to write hit songs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I used to love Nirvana as a teenager. Had every album, single, bought the biography, watched the movie, etc.

That said, as I've grown up, I've realized what a bad father and selfish person Cobain was. His daughter was living in filth while he continually nodded off on heroin. It was said that he "embraced" being an addict. When I watched interviews with Scott Weiland, I never felt that way about him. He wanted off the drugs and he loved his ex-wife and his kids.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I used to love Nirvana as a teenager. Had every album, single, bought the biography, watched the movie, etc.

That said, as I've grown up, I've realized what a bad father and selfish person Cobain was. His daughter was living in filth while he continually nodded off on heroin. It was said that he "embraced" being an addict. When I watched interviews with Scott Weiland, I never felt that way about him. He wanted off the drugs and he loved his ex-wife and his kids.

I was never a big Nirvana fan, and Cobain's general unlikeability was a big reason behind it.

He seemed to wallow in his own pity unlike most "tragic" stars. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I was never a big Nirvana fan, and Cobain's general unlikeability was a big reason behind it.

He seemed to wallow in his own pity unlike most "tragic" stars. 

The worst part of his childhood was a divorce. I mean there could always be more to it, but his childhood didn't seem all that bad to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The worst part of his childhood was a divorce. I mean there could always be more to it, but his childhood didn't seem all that bad to me.

It's a strange when someone with the depression Cobain had is so conceited and self-centered. 
almost like he wanted things to be worse so people would notice him more. 
Reply/Quote
Well it has been 25 years since that soupy Album came out... Cheesy Chorus, little bit of yelling, throw in some whining, a bit more distortion pedal, complain about how your daddy didn't love you Kurdt Kobain, yeah that is it, now give some more whining, Yeah this is going to sell just nicely.. Kids are going to eat up just like Trix. Remember Kurtis in your contract after 2 1/2 years you gotta really sell it.. Nice day in the studio here guys, Kurtis don't forget your gun in the corner alright that is wrap.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.M19adc2d13c2a5402da66d9d9dd324...=234&h=156]   =  [Image: th?id=OIP.Mc047aa62c096bdce28a82c2d93b86...=282&h=177]

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:03 PM)86AD Wrote: The other 3 Grunge bands were twice the band Nirvana was. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time. Cobain was the worst singer ever, all he did was mumble then yell.

Ever listened to Tiny Tim?

As for the Cobain murder theories, I recall that the Seattle PD talked about reopening the case several years later based on the fact that his credit card was used two days after his death.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 12:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Ever listened to Tiny Tim?

As for the Cobain murder theories, I recall that the Seattle PD talked about reopening the case several years later based on the fact that his credit card was used two days after his death.
He did supposedly frequent drug squatter houses leading up to his death. 

Perhaps his card got lifted there? 

It certainly is plausible.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
While I found this thread entertaining, I had nothing to add because I know nothing about Nirvana. But, the other day I was listening to XM and had Deep Tracks on. and what comes on? "Come as You Are". The only Nirvana song I could name is on Deep Tracks? LOL Then again they once played "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I used to be a big Nirvana fan in 05-08 when I was in middle school and some of high school but kinda grew out of them. Now a days I'll listen to a few of their songs but idk if I've just moved on or I've heard all the songs too much but they don't work for me the way they used to. I think Cobain is pretty over-rated he wrote incredibly simple and catchy songs but he's not a music genius or anything. His voice had an awesome sound though. In the end Grohl has proven to be more talented imo over the years.

Some of my favorite Nirvana songs...

Come As You Are
Breed
Dumb
About A Girl
Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Acoustic Album)
Oh Me (Acoustic Album)
You Know You're Right
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Reply/Quote
Funny this thread was ressurected, as I was just listening to some Nirvana for the first time in a couple years or so. I still like some of the b sides and songs that weren't constantly played on the radio, such as...

Sappy
Even in His Youth
Dive (sounds great through a system)
Drain You
D7
Here She Comes Now
You Know You're Right
Etc

I personally think Cobain had an excellent voice when he was in the right mood. More specifically, I should say he had a decent voice and a very unique (and awesome) scream for rock music.
Reply/Quote