Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Bengals players claimed on Waivers.
(09-06-2015, 09:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Easy to explain.  You are wrong about how bad those guys were.

It is one thing to claim that you know more than the Bengals coaches.  It is another thing to claim that you know more than every coach on every team in the NFL.

Ah yes. Which is why guys like that tend to find so many jobs when they leave here. Geathers is on which team now?

Geathers was awful here. The last 4 years he was one of the worst 4-3 DEs in the NFL. Just watching him should tell you that, but you have no interest in watching and learning, you just parrot BS from the organization. 

(09-06-2015, 09:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again you have nothing to back this up except your opinion which means nothing.

Awww fred doesn't want to play anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ah yes. Which is why guys like that tend to find so many jobs when they leave here. Geathers is on which team now?

Geathers was awful here. The last 4 years he was one of the worst 4-3 DEs in the NFL. Just watching him should tell you that, but you have no interest in watching and learning, you just parrot BS from the organization. 

Awww fred doesn't want to play anymore. 

Again all of this is just your opinion and you have nothing to back it up.

If Wilder is good enough to make a 53 man roster then why did no team in the league claim him?

Geathers was not much after his injury in 2013 but the two years before that he was far from the worst 4-3 DEs in the league.  He was a key part of a defense that ranked in the top 7 in total yards allowed and top 10 in yards per carry allowed both seasons. I find it hard to believe that we had the worst NT and the worst DE in the league but were still able to be so effective at stopping the run.

It is easy to rip coaches when their teams stink, but when they are putting together top 10 defenses I'll trust their opinion over some guy on a message board who has never coached or played football at any advanced level.

I love these guys who claim that "all you have to do is watch" when people who clearly watch the games disagree with them.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ah yes. Which is why guys like that tend to find so many jobs when they leave here. 

Anyone else love Marvin's quote when they re-signed Greg Little back in July?

"This is generally the last stop for people when I’m done tolerating" (Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Friday-quick-hits-Versatility-looming-Lewis-Whit-endorsing-Dalton-Lewis-challenges-Little/af04e250-dbdc-4ed4-ac88-afb9e57e254e)

I read that as basically an admission that he likes to keep players for longer than other coaches - often way beyond where the player is still operating at a high level.  Geathers is a perfect example.  See also: Odom, Antwan.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 02:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And so many folks seemed worried that having to cut such talented players was going to lead to them being snatched up by other teams.  LOL

maybe they are not as talented as you think...ya think Confused
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 09:34 AM)xavierdude Wrote: maybe they are not as talented as you think...ya think Confused

I guess you couldn't read the sarcasm that I was implying.  I was intending to point out that people who were worried that if players X, Y, and Z got cut, then teams B, C, and D would quickly sign them to their 53 man rosters, were all nervous about nothing.  Goes to show that those players are exactly what they are, not good enough to make the final roster.  Spare tires, if you will. 

y
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 04:10 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Anyone else love Marvin's quote when they re-signed Greg Little back in July?

"This is generally the last stop for people when I’m done tolerating" (Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Friday-quick-hits-Versatility-looming-Lewis-Whit-endorsing-Dalton-Lewis-challenges-Little/af04e250-dbdc-4ed4-ac88-afb9e57e254e)

I read that as basically an admission that he likes to keep players for longer than other coaches - often way beyond where the player is still operating at a high level.  Geathers is a perfect example.  See also: Odom, Antwan.

Wow. You really read that wrong then. Especially if you're applying that somehow to an ultimate professional like Geathers. Especially since Geathers played his entire career with one team. He didn't bounce around the league.

He was talking about giving guys opportunities who had bounced around and failed in other places. Guys like Adam Jones, Wallace Gilberry, Greg Little- giving them a chance to learn to be a pro.

And I don't remember him keeping players too long. When Geathers was no longer one of their top 9 or 10 d-Linemen, they let him go. And Antwan Odom barely spent any time here.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 10:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wait, so we have the practice squad we wanted, or the one no one else wanted?  Hmm...

You nailed it on both counts.....
Reply/Quote
We got a former Bengal on a new team.

Hawkinson is the newest member of the 49ers practice squad, for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 04:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Where are all those naysayers who said guys like Wilder and Williams would never (I use never as they used it) get through waivers so  needed to cut guys on our 53 man roster

Someone may still grab someone, but it appears the FO and ML again did a great job locking up the right guys

The season hasn't began yet. Let the injuries start piling up and Williams, Hill, and Wilder could very easily get picked up by another team. Wts, we may have to bring them up as well. Let's not kid ourselves this is a violent sport and injuries are going to occur. 
Reply/Quote
Good to hear!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 05:51 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  Wts, we may have to bring them up as well. Let's not kid ourselves this is a violent sport and injuries are going to occur. 

Last year over half of our starters (12 of 22) missed games with injuries, and that does not include Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 03:45 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The practice squad is always a bit of an oddity.  We have a pool of 320 players (all teams) that can be claimed at any time by any team.  They just have to put the guy on their 53 man roster.

Does the team get the right to promote to their 53 man roster FIRST if another team claims them?  Anyone know that answer?
No one gets "claimed".  If a team is interested in someone on our practice squad (or if we are interested in a player from another team's P.S.), they offer the player a contract.  The player has the right to accept the offer or refuse and stay where they are.  There are plenty of times where getting called up to someone else's roster would not be in the player's best interest.

An example is when team X is looking for a depth body for the short term due to an injury without any concern about fit into the scheme.  After the 3 weeks are up, the player will be released.  If the player doesn't fit the scheme, then that team will not add the player to its own practice squad.  The orginal team will have already signed someone else to take that spot, and will probably not sign the player back since they moved on voluntarily.  The guy had the ability to stay where he was and try to grow within a system, but now is left without a job at all!
(09-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: The Giants claimed a DT who was waived by another team. They practiced and played against Deshawn Williams for a week and still passed on him in favor of another DT.
Because Williams turned down offers by several teams
Reply/Quote
Kinda curious about Troy Hill's status. Several places say he is signed to the Bengals PS, yet he is not listed on the roster, the other 9 are there however.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 05:51 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The season hasn't began yet. Let the injuries start piling up and Williams, Hill, and Wilder could very easily get picked up by another team. Wts, we may have to bring them up as well. Let's not kid ourselves this is a violent sport and injuries are going to occur. 

I stated some may be picked up, I was not pretending injuries don't happen.

My point was simply at this point in time no team grabbed any of our guys and we had some fans stating guys like Wilder Jr. and Williams were gone if not on our 53 last weekend.

They stated it as a fact, not a possibility and they were dead wrong.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 08:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No one gets "claimed".  If a team is interested in someone on our practice squad (or if we are interested in a player from another team's P.S.), they offer the player a contract.  The player has the right to accept the offer or refuse and stay where they are.  There are plenty of times where getting called up to someone else's roster would not be in the player's best interest.

An example is when team X is looking for a depth body for the short term due to an injury without any concern about fit into the scheme.  After the 3 weeks are up, the player will be released.  If the player doesn't fit the scheme, then that team will not add the player to its own practice squad.  The orginal team will have already signed someone else to take that spot, and will probably not sign the player back since they moved on voluntarily.  The guy had the ability to stay where he was and try to grow within a system, but now is left without a job at all!
Because Williams turned down offers by several teams

Williams was offered practice squad jobs and no one offered him a job on the 53 man roster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't get the talk about these guys not being as good as we think because they weren't claimed by other teams. I don't think it has a whole lot to do with talent, but more with familiarity. Im sure most of the other teams in the league try to keep the guys they cut, unless they see a guy they really coveted in the draft released by another team.

I'm sure many teams who have a need at RB looked at guys like Wilder and Watson but felt comfortable in what they had already in house. Which is what teams should do. Why else draft a guy if you don't ever plan on playing him?
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 02:12 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Just wanted to give you all good news.

We got everyone we wanted.
This list is per Bengals twitter.

Troy Hill
Deshawn Williams
Dan France
Trey Hopkins
Matt Lengel
Jake Karmeruw
Trevor Roach
Keaith Wennig
Terrell Watson
James Wilder Jr

is it really that good of news that no one wanted anyone we cut...

doesnt that say we have over inflated the value of these guys? Cause there was a whole lot of they will never make the PS going around here.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 09:55 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't get the talk about these guys not being as good as we think because they weren't claimed by other teams. I don't think it has a whole lot to do with talent, but more with familiarity. Im sure most of the other teams in the league try to keep the guys they cut, unless they see a guy they really coveted in the draft released by another team.

This.

First of all the guys that a team drafts and signs as free agents are the ones that they valued more than other teams did.  Then once they have worked with these players for weeks installing their system they value them even more.

From time to time a guy will switch teams, but usually teams go after their own players first.  

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 03:45 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The practice squad is always a bit of an oddity.  We have a pool of 320 players (all teams) that can be claimed at any time by any team.  They just have to put the guy on their 53 man roster.

Does the team get the right to promote to their 53 man roster FIRST if another team claims them?  Anyone know that answer?

Part of it is up to the player. Back in 07, Matt Toeaina was on our PS and turned down two offers because he wanted to stay with Cincy. However, our DL looked like crap throughout the season and the team didn't promote him so he took an offer from the Bears when they checked him out.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I wonder how many players that have at one point been on a PS eventually become starters (or at least valuable contributors) on a NFL team at some point throughout their careers.

Talent never seems to get developed from the practice squad.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote