Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line prediction
We have 2 O-linemen who are free agents (Rieff,  Spain).

We sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance we re-sign Spain. The RT will not be Rieff, but will be a quality ($8+ million) player.

Center is up in the air. I believe Hopkins will still be our OC. But the could sign an upgrade due to Hopkins $7+ million salary.  We could sign a $10+ million center if we release Hopkins.

Either Smith or Carman will be RG.
Reply/Quote
I think we still go with one of the young guys as a starter. I'm okay with that as long as we get other guys in there. Hopefully Carman will develop this off-season and get better. But we have a lot of young guys and the Bengals don't normally throw in the towel.
Reply/Quote
Why not give Carman a shot at RT? He played OT and has the size for it
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:41 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Why not give Carman a shot at RT? He played OT and has the size for it

"give _____ a shot" is why we are in the mess we are in.  I understand the compromise of not being able to bring in 4 great OL and at least one spot will be a competition spot (even started a tread on it).

Reality is Carman and Smith will get a shot at a starting spot.  There are great opportunities in FA to fix the interior with the depth, youth and projected cost of the FA crop.  If you hit it big I'm fine with the weak link being the competition of Carman, Smith and a OT by mid round.  

To Fred's point, my money would be on Moses if he doesn't ask for too much guaranteed in the 3rd year (with our youth needing deals by then). There are a lot if defects in the FA class due to age and durability. 8M would be about what Moses should get, but in this group he may get 10M.  Give me a guy like Daniels for the same cost, fix the inside and I'm cool with the competition spot at RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 O-linemen who are free agents (Rieff, Spain).

We sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance we re-sign Spain. The RT will not be Rieff, but will be a quality ($8+ million) player.

Center is up in the air. I believe Hopkins will still be our OC. But the could sign an upgrade due to Hopkins $7+ million salary. We could sign a $10+ million center if we release Hopkins.

Either Smith or Carman will be RE.

They will resign Reiff and Spain. They will sign a top FA center and keep Hopkins. They will sign a mid level med priced guard in FA and draft at #31 Raimann the OT from Central Michigan. They want depth and competition. They will make do with more bodies
Reply/Quote
Realistically, who the hell knows. I'll take a shot though.

Re-Sign Spain.
Sign Bozeman, Release Hopkins.
Sign Corbett.
Draft a RT at 31.

I feel like this is wishful thinking (that's not saying a lot), even though we could do more.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They will resign Reiff and Spain. They will sign a top FA center and keep Hopkins. They will sign a mid level med priced guard in FA and draft at #31 Raimann the OT from Central Michigan. They want depth and competition. They will make do with more bodies

Ya they'll definitely resign Reiff. Played pretty darn well until the injury. Bengals need help with interior of the OL and more depth.
I would not give up on Carman either. He had not played G in college and it's a totally different animal in regards to technique, strength and body conditioning.
Reply/Quote
Re sign Spain and make the two big Free Agency hits RT and RG. That way we have the ability to develop our very green rooks properly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:18 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Ya they'll definitely resign Reiff. 

There was a good reason they only signed him for 1 year.

I don't think bring him back with his age and injury history.
Reply/Quote
Re-sign Spain
Sign a center in FA
Sign a mid tier OG in FA
Draft an OT(probably Penning) at 31

Starting OL next year

Williams
Spain
FA Center(we’ll say Jensen for now)
FA guard
Rookie OT(Penning?)
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There was a good reason they only signed him for 1 year.

I don't think bring him back with his age and injury history.

According to James Rapien, citing Dehner's upcoming article, Reiff is considering retirement.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:33 PM)tBengal Wrote: Re-sign Spain
Sign a center in FA
Sign a mid tier OG in FA
Draft an OT(probably Penning) at 31

Starting OL next year

Williams
Spain
FA Center(we’ll say Jensen for now)
FA guard
Rookie OT(Penning?)

Not a good idea to count on a rookie to start immediately.  Especially a pick as late as #31.
Reply/Quote
Ok here is mine:

LT- Williams
LG- Jackson Carmen
C- Bradley Bozeman- (Ravens) FA
RG- Mark Glowinski-(Colts) FA
RT- Nick Petit-Frere (Ohio ST)

backups- Prince, Hill, Smith, Draft pick C/G type , Johnson
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not a good idea to count on a rookie to start immediately.  Especially a pick as late as #31.

Draft a guy that can battle it out with Carman and let the best player play.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not a good idea to count on a rookie to start immediately.  Especially a pick as late as #31.

Absolutely correct 1000 times which is why I said resign Reiff. You need 3 good tackles and 3 good guards and 2 good centers. But conversely KC Chiefs give you a great big shout out to you with Smith and Humphrey lol
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:07 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Draft a guy that can battle it out with Carman and let the best player play.

They need to create a log jam in the OL group and ratchet up the competition.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 O-linemen who are free agents (Rieff,  Spain).

Center is up in the air. I believe Hopkins will still be our OC. But the could sign an upgrade due to Hopkins $7+ million salary.  We could sign a $10+ million center if we release Hopkins.

Either Smith or Carman will be RG.

So you are saying we bring back Spain and add a vet like Morgan Moses to RT?

Not enough in my eyes, not near enough. Maybe if they draft Tyler Smith, Zion Johnson or Jamaree Salyer I would feel better 
about it but these guys are unproven. If we keep Hop I surround him with proven players in Laken Tomlinson, Austin Corbett 
and Morgan Moses. Let Carman and D'Ante develop into good players behind these guys. My O-line prediction and my hope.
Reply/Quote
How about this.

Sign one of the top 3 FA centers.
Sign on of the top 3 FA RT's.
Move Hopkins to RG, and extend him two year at 4.5 per to get his number down.

So with only two major signings you have anchored the ends and middle of your OLine, you have a veteran who knows the scheme and is coming off a major injury the previous year (Hopkins), who the team still likes and has faith in to bridge between the new C and T.

Carman moves to LG. Left is his natural side, and now he has excellent veterans on either side of him to help him mature into the position.

So in the end you have this:

Williams
Carman
Top C
Hopkins
Top T

You only pay big for two upgrades, but arguably upgrade 4 (if Carman pans out, which I think he will at LG).

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im surprised with many of these takes. People are ok with bringing Spain back? People prefer to start a brand new rookie at OT that low in the draft knowing we have drafted only ONE decent starter in the last 10 years?

If the Bengals are serious about winning and protecting Joe we should see a new RT, RG, and C. Jonah at LT. Allow a competition with Carmen, guys on the team and draft picks for that LG spot. Carmen's stats at LG are tremendously better than at RG (disclaimer: he only played 25% of his snaps at LG)

I think Jensen would be a game changer at Center, we havent had a real captain on the line since Braham and Jensen brings a mean streak. Bozeman would be my 2nd choice.

Tomlinson is my #1 at Guard, followed by Corbett, Cappa then Daniels. If they are deemed too expensive Im good with Conner Williams.

Trent Brown would be my choice at RT, followed by Moses. If we need a cost saver either Ifedi or Cornelius Lucas would be a good bridge gap until we can develop a rookie or pick up a better one next season.

High end of these options with Jensen would be: Tomlinson-Corbett-Cappa-Daniels/Brown-Moses - less than 32M and the low end with Williams/Lucas 23-25M. Any combination between these groups I will be fine with.

Any thing less than upgrading 3/5ths of this horrendous line would reveal that this season was simply an aberration in which the players simply outperformed the front office and all the new season ticket holders should demand a refund.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: How about this.

Sign one of the top 3 FA centers.
Sign on of the top 3 FA RT's.
Move Hopkins to RG, and extend him two year at 4.5 per to get his number down.

So with only two major signings you have anchored the ends and middle of your OLine, you have a veteran who knows the scheme and is coming off a major injury the previous year (Hopkins), who the team still likes and has faith in to bridge between the new C and T.

Carman moves to LG.  Left is his natural side, and now he has excellent veterans on either side of him to help him mature into the position.

So in the end you have this:

Williams
Carman
Top C
Hopkins
Top T

You only pay big for two upgrades, but arguably upgrade 4 (if Carman pans out, which I think he will at LG).

Thoughts?

Carmen is so much better at LG.

A stud Center is vital in my opinion.

A free agent RT is a must.

But Hopkins wasnt that good at guard... We can get Conner Williams at 6m - younger and better.  Norwell wants to come back maybe he takes a cut?  Karras is less than 5M.  I see no reason to keep Hopkins.
Reply/Quote